Home Technical Talk

FOV

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
I started a new concept, and it is quite a small area. I took the concept, and overlayed a character in photoshop. I used that same character while blocking out the scene in Max. As far as I could tell in max, the proportions were 99% accurate. However when I brought my scene into UDK, the proportions seemed quite a bit off from the concept. I was wondering if it is most likely a FOV issue that I should tweak in udk, or if I should go back to max and tweak the scale so it then looks right in udk. Here is the concept if it helps:

http://www.conceptroot.com/ult/view.php?id=1339839921

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used a character that we have here at work. I imported the character into UDK, and it appeared to be the correct size. I don't have the scene with me at work, but I will upload a screen shot tonight to show the discrepancy.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In game you can pop open the console and use "changesize .5" to adjust the camera height, and use "setspeed .5" to adjust the speed.

Unreal characters move amazingly fast and are set to space marine proportions, that is just how their games evolved over time. It used to be their characters where 72uu high like half life characters but they grew up, bulked up and sped up and the perceived scale also had to increase. So technically everything in unreal is bigger than it should be, you can use those commands above to tone it back down to reality, or you can just fudge around with the scale of your stuff until it works.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By room = 192, do you mean ceiling height? And so for uu, I set my max units to Generic Units? Therefore I can create a box that is 96 units tall in max, and that should be the height of my character?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That should do it so long as you don't adjust the system unit scale. But of course you will want to check it to make sure.

You can also extract/save out a character mesh from Unreal and import that into your scene.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, thanks a lot for the replies! Basically I am a total noob as it turns out. I just created a box 96uu tall, then scaled my scene down so my character was now the size of the box (roughly 50% of the original size), and now the scale is perfect :)