Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Chieftain

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
Hi all! This is finished work and I tried to post it in the showcase forum but for some reason I am forbidden to post there so I ll do it here.

This is my latest finished project. This is something around 30k triangles without the base. I used zbrush to make high poly sculpt and topogun for retopology. Also 3ds max was used for making base meshes . May was used for rigging and skinning. Rendered in marmoset. All bakes are done with brilliant Xnormal! I will soon post a turntable video and some wires. I hope you like it ! =)

336_max.jpg
655_max.jpg

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I like it alot, pretty cool stuff here I must say :) I really enjoy the colors and it's different from what we see here everyday, nice work. 30K Tris, seems a bit overkill but yeah, the result is good!
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work. I like the wolf pelt. One thing that is kind of odd to me is the blue light on his skin seems pretty strong, but it doesn't seem to affect anything else on him much?
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for comments =) Yeah 30k is a lot an I know that some parts could have been and can be optimized without quality loss but I just wanted to spent more time on creative part rather than on the technical side. But I promise that my next piece will be also good from technical part =)

I have added a bit of side light with a buesh hue and it is not affecting him that much . Just wanted a bit of blue on his face =)
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Looking pretty good. What bugs me ( judging from the title ) is how small the animal on his shoulder is. I'd imagine he wears it as a trophy to show his worthiness as a warrior and thus should represent some big ferocious animal, like a bear or wolf that not anyone could slay, basically covering the entire cape almost. If it's only for being a nice little decoration it should be integrated more with the cape rather than just lying on top.

Would be very interesting to see the wires of this guy. People could point out what to improve for your next project. And while you're at it, show the maps as well. For a game character the technical part is as important as the artistic part in terms of production.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here some wires for now. I ll post some textures a bit later. Also I would liek to say that I wanted to have more polygons near face and hands because they are the main parts where attentions goes. However I did a mistake and the cloak topology is not supporting the folds. Just wanted to save some time.:poly141:

thechieftainwire1.jpg
    thechieftainwire2.jpg
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just saw my chieftain character on 3dtotal frontpage ! laugh.png
    http://www.3dtotal.c...07#.UFqxVVGouOQ
    Some parts like crown are a bit too highpoly for lowpoly character but it was done due to animation purpose. The crown was used in close up cinematic shot.

also here are some more breakdown images:
    thechieftaintextures1.jpg
    thechieftaintextures2.jpg
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have just got my making of published on 3d total. If you are interested you can read it here
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    congrats on the 3dtotal acceptance!

Pros:
    Dat belt is HOT
    Good presentation + base
    Good diffuse

Cons:
    Clothing sculpture could be better
    Material definition a bit weak
    Overkill on polies.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice! The specular feels a bit too similar across the board. Maybe try punching it up on some of the materials.