Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Selaznog's WIP Props

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, so I'm fresh out of school and excited about starting some new projects. I decided that the first thing I really want to get better at is hard surface modeling, baking, and realistic textures.

I decided this concept by Colin Geller for Resistance 3 would be a good start...
R3_ChimeraGenerator.jpg

So far I've made the cube things and baked on the normal map from my hipoly model.
Here they are, 674 tris each:
1_by_julionicoletti-d5cxack.png

2_by_julionicoletti-d5cxad3.png

3_by_julionicoletti-d5cxae8.png

They don't have details, because I'm doing all the grooves and techy bits in NDO2

So there's not much to really look at yet, but hopefully I'll get an update in soon.

Thanks!

Replies

• Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not looking as great as I thought it would be by now..However I still have a lot of NDo work on the beams and on the front cylindrical thing, and then I can work on the middle chunk as well as the pipes.
    sdsdvsv_by_julionicoletti-d5dlhh5.png
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more ndo. Here's how it's looking in marmoset. Got all my colours blocked in and now I just need to work on finding some appropriate metal textures...
    eadaedf_by_julionicoletti-d5e8mge.png
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I love nDo2 for detailing stuff like this!
    It looks good! It's too late now but comparing yours to the concept I think you missed some details from the concept.I thin a few of the proportions are off but I cant be sure as it might just be the missing details that's doing that.

Anyway like I said its all too late but might be helpful in the future!

I look forward to the texture!
  • menjah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    menjah polycounter lvl 6
    Looks nice dude, putting the pressure on me to keep the ball rolling :D
    It looks like you're missing some detail around the end of the cylinder part but I don't think anyone without the concept would really miss it.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I totally agree with the lack of detail. I really should have done more with the dark "cage" area around the front. Only reason I didn't was I was worried about tri count (this is already at 3200 :( ), and most of the details I missed would require extra geo. I may go back once I call this done and add more rivets and lines

ALSO I need to add the pipes and wires. I will probably add more than are in the concept, and have them all asymmetrical with a tiling texture so it breaks up this prop a bit more.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah thats fair enough although based on the size of this prop from the concept I would say 3200 is acceptable. Just out of interest can I see wires?
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apparently I was off by 500 tris or so...nearly 4,000

Here it is with wires
    dvsdvsd_by_julionicoletti-d5e953m.png

I can collapse the verts on the front of the cylinder, and I was thinking of removing the holes on the edges of the large things and keeping those flat.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thank you! It lookslike there is room for optimisation but that might just be how you wanted your uvs, I look forward to the texture!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So today I made this tyranid capillary tower (gathers biomass, which is sent up to hive ships, where it will port with that mouth thing at the end)

Pretty happy with how it's looking so far. First time with xNormals and it's awesome! Also the first time I've baked something from zbrush. Definitely good practice and learned a lot.

dvdsvsd_by_julionicoletti-d5ebtnk.png

Cant wait to texture that bad boy...
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks very nice, your zbrush skills are good to say you havent used it much before!

Im new to Ndo2, I understand its similar to that of crazybump; with a photo texture being used to generate different maps (ao, norm, spec etc);

So, how does it work? Did you first UVW map, Texture and then take the finalised texture into Ndo2 to generate the textures normals?

Again, as I said - Ive not yet used ndo2 would be a nice learning curve :)
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey David, I've actually used zbrush a fair amount before, but never baked to a low poly object :P

The way I use ndo is I get my objects uv's, bring them into PS, and basically paint on all the seams and bolts etc. It basically gathers height info based on how white something is. Sadly, it wont read black though so sometimes it can be difficult if you want something to pop in as well as out (like a gradient).

ndo is like a plugin that floats ontop of photoshop, and you just hit generate to get your normal map from your height map. And from there, you can generate a cavity, ao, spec map, etc. It's pretty neat. I havent tried using photo textures yet though

In other news, finished the tower
    cappage.png

Shell kinda turned out shit but oh well...
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    I'd love to see you bring out some complimentary colors or even a triad with your texture for that cappilary tower. When I think tyranids or Warhammer 40k in general the miniatures and styles definitely grab from a wider range of colors. Even if you went with an analogous scheme it would help bring out more with the model. If it were me I'd change the color on the hard carapace and leave the nice pinks, reds and oranges you have on the fleshier part. A nice green and some deep purples would really make this pop.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like it can you show the unwrap for the generator ?
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input tristian! I think I'll go back and do that, shouldn't be too hard. I collected nids for years, and active on nid forums so I know what you mean about the colour. I think the shell is missing a lot of texture also

And nick, here are the UVs for the generator
    grgdfg_by_julionicoletti-d5egyyo.png
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Looks very nice, your zbrush skills are good to say you havent used it much before!

Im new to Ndo2, I understand its similar to that of crazybump; with a photo texture being used to generate different maps (ao, norm, spec etc);

So, how does it work? Did you first UVW map, Texture and then take the finalised texture into Ndo2 to generate the textures normals?

Again, as I said - Ive not yet used ndo2 would be a nice learning curve :)

nice presentation, I like the sil representation on the borders very appealing!

Good stuff!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, been awhile. I've mainly just been dicking around with random sculpting and stuff. Got my new computer awhile ago, and oh glory, UDK with no lag :D So I just had to make some stuff.

Here's a rock. Polycount is around 4000, textures are all 2k (is that acceptable? Supposing the rocks will take up 35-50 of screen space during gameplay).

Or I could downsize to 1k maps, and put a detail normal map on top. Any advice on making a tiling noisy rock normal map I can put on top for detail up close? I've seen it done on some Unreal stuff, just not sure how to go about it

rock01.png

Another shot from UDK
    sdafef_by_julionicoletti-d5nx49z.png

(plants are for fun, not mine. Just default in the udk package)

I'd love some critique on this. It's version 3 of this kind of rock. Each rendition I'm getting closer to what I want. I'll probably re-do this, keeping in mind sharper edges and cracks.
    This was the main reference I used:
    Rocky_Forest_Background_37_by_FantasyStock.jpg
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hipoly water pump I made today. Hope to have the normal/ao/cavity bakes done by the end of the night
    001.png
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know why this is happening? Spent hours last night trying to bake the bloody thing but every single piece has weird issues. I tried baking in Maya as well as xNormal. I am convinced both are autistic.

906559_10200820377290100_1505114476_o.jpg

And this image here I tried following my friends advice which was to add edge loops. Nope.

nLYbZzG.png?1?8429

Here's what it looks like in Marmo
    dUr8oNb.png?1?5571
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Selaznog wrote: »
    Anyone know why this is happening? Spent hours last night trying to bake the bloody thing but every single piece has weird issues. I tried baking in Maya as well as xNormal. I am convinced both are autistic.

906559_10200820377290100_1505114476_o.jpg

And this image here I tried following my friends advice which was to add edge loops. Nope.

nLYbZzG.png?1?8429

What do your UVs look like?
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the UVs.
    gjnbBqA.png
  • stanley82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stanley82 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, I would say if there is any hard edge on your lowpoly model, then in uvs must be separated "splitted". This should fix these issues.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stanley82 wrote: »
    Hi, I would say if there is any hard edge on your lowpoly model, then in uvs must be separated "splitted". This should fix these issues.

Thanks, but all my edges are soft :/
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would make the circular end a separate shell and have separate smoothing. Also, I would avoid symmetry in UDK. But first, you can try offsetting your mirrored UVWs slightly to see if that fixes the problem.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yah I have my mirrored shell on another 1x1 area for baking purposes. So no mirroring in UDK? But that'll give me half the texture resolution...do people just not mirror normal maps? What about mechsuits and stuff, there HAS to be some mirroring going on there, right?
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There can be mirroring. But no direct symmetry.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow wrote: »
    There can be mirroring. But no direct symmetry.

Pardon the dumb question, but what's the difference?
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone recommended I use handplane. Same issues. Also this. Frustration levels reaching critical point.
    C2SbMKY.png
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished, just need to clean up the triangle stretching at the top. Decided it was grungy enough that the normal map issues arent too noticeable:
    vBJD6Xu.jpg
    63vdbVW.png
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Mstankow wrote: »
    I would make the circular end a separate shell and have separate smoothing.

Matankow is right. This would have fixed your normal map problem. It gets rid of those ugly black seams by giving the texture enough room.

Also great work on the texture! It adds some nice weight to the piece.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mospheric. I've decided I prefer doing props over full scale enviros...

Here's a Darksiders-esque axe. Open to critique on the texture!
    sD2Vrh8.png
    GfHU1ph.jpg

Diffuse only 1torpZP.png
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on some stuff
    head_test_by_julionicoletti-d61s73l.png
    snap05.PNG

snap04.PNG

skullsrender.png

fruit.png

Critique is always welcome!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More stuff!
    04.PNG

06.PNG

05.PNG

01.PNG

02.PNG

03.PNG

• Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really a prop, but I made a dragon. Completely forgot to give him the rest of his fingers, so no idea how he will walk.
    baby_dragon_by_julionicoletti-d6b8r33.png

• Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Some awesome work here man! Though I would say that you have some weak material definition on your objects, such as your axe. The metal looks like it would be made of clay. I am pretty sure its mainly the diffuse, but the spec is also super flat. You have these white, soft overlay lines running along the creases/fold/bends in the metal that make it feel like its stretched, rather than forged.

As for the dragon, love it man. I actually like the front legs missing, makes it kind of unique and steps away from your standard dragon design. I just filled in the missing info provided in the piece, and kinda just thought he would use the ends or middle of his winged arms as his "feet".

Nice work man.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique! I didn't even notice the clay look and I totally see it now. The style/effect I was going for was something similar to this: http://videogame-art.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/VideoGameArt_Darksiders2FanArt01_MichaelVincente.jpg
    But I agree that I missed the mark when it comes to the spec...I think I'll do another one of these with better metal.

Some hard surface practice (just ignore the 2 errors in the front below the metal handle ;):

zsfzffd_by_julionicoletti-d6cpd9u.png

close up of tire (might go back and redo the threads because I'm not too sure how well they'll bake down...)
    gfsdsg_by_julionicoletti-d6cpe84.png

here's the ref I took in my front yard:
    rdgrdg_by_julionicoletti-d6cpcpd.jpg
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All done. (yah, not the most exciting prop in the world haha)

Just under 4k tris, using 2k maps
    016_by_julionicoletti-d6csbkq.png