Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Jto

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Justinoaksford polycounter lvl 6
Hey Polycount! I'm a concept artist and I've recently decided to start learning how to build 3d assets.

This is a quick concept for the first character I'm going to build. I've found a mentor at work who is going to help me out week to week, so he told me to whip one up this weekend. The amount of research is piss-poor, so if you guys want to do sketchovers to help me with the design, it would be really appreciated. It's currently some sort of WW1-fantasy snow trooper guy- I didn't really allow myself time to create a good story around him, and the design suffers as a result.

Anyways, I'll shut up now! 3d updates in the days to come, along with other sketches I may do! Thank you for stopping by :)

ahLOT.jpg

Replies

• Maks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maks polycounter lvl 14
    Hi Jto,
    the Concept is awesome. I love his face.
    I'm looking forward to see him in 3D.
  • Justinoaksford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Building my first ever basemesh! Obviously heavy WIP, learning alot as I go along. Any suggestions, especially at this stage would be great!

qA8gD.jpg
  • Justinoaksford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have built and UV'd out the basemesh, and am now in zbrush :D! This isn't going to look like the concept too terribly much right away, right now kind of focusing on learning the tools and having fun, so wasn't using the concept for reference for the head right here :P

JmrW7.jpg

Thanks! Also, here's an alligator study.
    fpQlb.jpg

And here's a herpy-derpy study of someone I hope you will recognize...
    fJ9yw.jpg
  • Justinoaksford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Standard fare- getting comfortable with the interface finally. Think I'm gonna do alot more anatomy studies this way :D

QjBpQ.jpg
  • Cybersam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybersam polycounter lvl 8
    you're sculpts going in the right direction, but try to use low intensity and smaller brushes. It's looking very blocky and geometric atm because of it.
  • Justinoaksford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sam! Will do- I think since I'm more of a painter, I like working with big chunky brushes :D

Here's an update on that basemesh/anatomy study!
    hvTL9.jpg
  • Justinoaksford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

4 years later....

*AHEM* Hi again! I decided to pick 3d\zbrush back up! I'm beginning to work on Indie game stuff in my free time, for the moment 2d only- but I figure I should learn 3d so that I'm more versatile :) 

So I'm starting with characters. I've been really inspired by work from Dylan Ekren, Renaud Galand, etc, as I feel like their sculpting sensibilities are close to my 2d character design senses, and I don't see stuff like that in zbrush much- so I bought zbrush during the Zsummit sale (20% off :0)

I decided instead of "Inktober", I would try "Sculptober", to help me get really into the basic zbrush UI, and teaching myself small bits here and there along the way regarding polygroups, subtools, general workflow, etc- while also learning to sculpt. 

So far, I have a Hitchcock sculpt, a study of Kent Melton's Ratcliffe maquette, a study of my own character from last year, and a random character from today. I need to try cuter, softer things and I need to learn how to deal with unpolished bits. I also want to learn to use insert brushes to mass out full bodies by the end of the month!

Thank you for looking!

• Justinoaksford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't get to sculpt as much this weekend as I would've liked, but here's at least something!

• Justinoaksford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did another sculpt! Picked up a lot about process for making bodies from Dylan Ekren's youtube videos, trying to apply it while learning... everything T_T
  • Justinoaksford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yet another old person sketch- starting to see bad things I do over and over that I need to suss out :p
  • Justinoaksford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting back in the saddle! Finally buckled down and forced myself to pull something, *anything* through the entire pipeline so I would know how it worked, and I finally managed. It's fugly and unfinished, but at least from here I can move forward with learning. Thank goodness for Substance Painter. 

Modo -> Zbrush -> Substance -> Unity