Home Technical Talk

nDo2 Help.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Fwap polycounter lvl 13
How would one re-create this normal map purely using nDo2?

I quickly whipped up the shape in max and rendered the normal out.

scifihandlemax.png

This is as close as I come in nDo2, and unfortunately I have to collapse the layer to modify it this way, which means no more tweaking or other map generation from it.

scifihandlendo2.png

Any tips?

Replies

• JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Invert the green channel by the look of it.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I'm not really worried about the channels at the moment, sorry my OP is a bit confusing reading back over it.

I'm more interested in the method of replicating the max bake without having to flatten the layer and loose my ability to tweak the nD02 parameters, in photoshop.

For that result, i made a rectangle selection converted it to normal, and to get the centre to augment like that, i had to flatten the layer and make a selection transform and scale it down.
  • L1151502
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would suggest that u make each normal in a different photoshop document and then when you are happy with the result you can then merge them into one document
    is that what you were looking for at all?
  • Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    Open a new document to whatever size you like. Marquee selection your detail (in this case a rectangle, this is where the "area" of the normal will be....essentially what part gets beveled up/down). On the NDO2 menu hit CONVERT. After it does its magic the menu will have all the controls for adjusting any aspect of the layer. Use size to adjust the size of the bevel, Slant to adjust whether it goes in or out, and depth to adjust...the depth. There a million other options to get some cool effects but for that simple shape you should only have to adjust one or two sliders. If you wanted to add another layer, go to edit-> new sculpt layer. You can Marquee selection then fill with a color or brush your detail in (color doesn't matter, but make sure you're in sculpt mode) and use the sliders and such to adjust accordingly. Dunno if this is the most efficient or "best" way to do it, but its what I've found works best for me.
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Have you tried making a height map and using the Height to Normal function in nDo2?