Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Mossberg 500 rifled

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bcottage polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys i am currently working 40 hour + weeks atm so i haven't been able to work on this as much i would like but i thought i would show my progress anyway :).

I have been practicing a lot recently on high poly modeling so i thought that i might as well put this in a personal project. I have really enjoyed it so far and cant wait to work more on it.

I have a lot of tweaks to do, mainly on the forehand grip and a few other places but i would love to have any kind of feedback!

When i have this completed in my portfolio i will find a fancy shader for display purposes but at this stage screenshots will do.

Things to do:

- tweaks on a few areas

- low poly

- uvw

- texture

- find a nice high poly shader

nJXSY.jpg

Replies

• TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah to me it looks just fine so far :) Now you just gotta follow through that process you described and it'll be great
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE!!!

Love to hear what you guys think before i start to make the low poly.

6y3wp.png
    m4dEK.png
    82jB7.png
    FSsNr.png
    Ryp6a.jpg
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    you should really soften some of those edges up on the highpoly, theyre so tight and sharp they wont transfer well in the bake, otherwise, some really nice work there
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a few uni mates have said the same thing. Is there a help page on that so i can see hoe sharp i can make them?
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont really understand it :/
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also..is there a paticular part you are referring to or are all my edges to hard?
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    I'm really seeing it on your scope. The entire thing is pretty tight. Also your rail seems to be pretty tight.

That guide basically states that by making your edges a little more loose and smooth, the further away from the model, you still retain some of what appears to be an edge instead of getting jagged aliasing and losing it. Right now your model is really close to the "realistic" type, while you may want to aim for the "functional" to make your life much easier when you go to bake it on a low poly.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh I see! Now I understand the difference between realistic and functional. Thankyou for the explanation dude, much appreciated :)
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys have another update you for.

Updated

- New shader to display high poly
    - Scope caps
    - Smoothed out some angles (might need to continue)
    - Stock strap cap
    - Barrel change (was too thin
    - Other minor tweaks

Things i need to do!

- Forehand grip needs indent (similar to reference)
    - Make reddot bigger?
    - Model bandages
    - Model straps and photograph on stock
    - Model other strap cap next to forehand grip

Anything you guys can see?

rgSjz.jpg
    7kowG.jpg
    VoFXq.jpg
    G2k4B.jpg
    FtS3X.jpg
    TeEfJ.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    the edges here are crazy tight. Somehow the walls of the reciever look extremely thick due to how recessed you've made the bolt carrier in the ejection port.

I didn't know they made a mossberg 500 in non-smoothbore. What's the idea of it?
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou for the quick reply. Looks like i am going to have to go back to relaxing more edges. as for the thickness of the reciever, i used this image which does make it look thick. I will try and find more images and see if i should change it (make the extrusion shallower).

"I didn't know they made a mossberg 500 in non-smoothbore. What's the idea of it?"

I dont understand this sentence?
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Alright, well looking at your scope, I decided to quickly create some geometry to try to show off what we mean by the tight edges:

hardedges.jpg

And the wireframe:

hardedges1.jpg

In all honesty, it takes some playing around sometimes to get what you're looking for. But making those edges a little bit less tight will help your bake so much.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou for spending the time to do a demonstration dude. I am working tomorrow but Sunday morning i will give this a go..i mean it looks really simple as all i need to do is relax my support edges right?

Thanks again :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Every time I pop in this thread for a second, I can't help but think; why is there a scope on a shotgun?

The modeling is fine and all, but why?
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Because shotguns occasionally have scopes? What a strange question. Lol.

And yes, it should be really simple. Best case is to remove the loops you have, and add new ones. Experimentation is key. Eventually you'll find a way of doing it that you like and looks good. You're modeling is fine, and considering you have all the loops in place already, it's just a matter of loosening them up.

Good luck! Looking forward to what you do.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    special scopes designed for shotguns are made for hunting purposes, it's fairly common and not a terrible idea when you're shootin flying stuff.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    Every time I pop in this thread for a second, I can't help but think; why is there a scope on a shotgun?

The modeling is fine and all, but why?

A Mossberg 500 rifled is a hunting shotgun which has a scope.
    The reason why i choose this weapon is because i see the same guns over and over again like ak47, m4 and so on.

I thought if i model a Mossberg 500 rifled i might get my name out there a little by being a bit more original.

Keep in mind the scope will be on a separate map along with the red dot sight to allow for customization.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because shotguns occasionally have scopes? What a strange question. Lol.

And yes, it should be really simple. Best case is to remove the loops you have, and add new ones. Experimentation is key. Eventually you'll find a way of doing it that you like and looks good. You're modeling is fine, and considering you have all the loops in place already, it's just a matter of loosening them up.

Good luck! Looking forward to what you do.

Thanks dude. Yea i have all the loops there and like you said i just need to loosen them up to get that smooth result. I should have a update by sunday lunch time :)
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys i have spent 2 hours loosen up edges. Are there any that i have missed are look too tight?

4uGzL.jpg
    lJGd8.jpg
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moved back into Hertfordshire whooop!

Spend some hours today getting a base low poly. All i have pretty much done so far is remove support lops plus other various tweaks. Going to go into this more tomorrow.
    Any feedback so far guys?

cxjXa.jpg
    RbGTk.jpg
    7jARe.jpg
    CthsO.jpg
  • Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    I think you really need to focus on the 1st person view a bit more, all the small screws, grove on the stock etc all have excessive amounts of triangles when compared to your scope and the housing for the safety(?) switch on the stock. I would double if not more the sides on the scope as a normal map will not carry it, while it will carry the details such as the grove on the stock for example.

Keep at it :)
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou for the reply Tim.

Double the sides on the scope? do you mean like the scope itself because it is already 16 sides, i thought that would be enough?

Atm it all comes to 10,080 polys, 19,708 Tris but like you said i still have loads to do like get rid of the stock groves and other pieces:)
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    I dunno. 18-20 sides is usually what I have on my scopes. You'll really be able to tell that it's low poly right away with only 16. I would definitely consider putting a few more sides on.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive got a mossberg 500, bought it my 18th birthday, next day it went on sale, bastards.
    Great gun, mines got a 23 er 26" barrel with the screw-in choke, always wanted to get a rifled one though. which brings me to my question..is the rifled barrel really that thick?
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ bobthegreatll - I guess i can easily ring select and add a bunch of sides but that would double meaning 32 sides. it would be a waste of time if i moddled again?

@ paradan - Do you mean the main barrel as in what the bullet comes out of?
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    Nice model .

Personally I would not attache a Scope on a Shotgun in any game !!!!
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronaton polycounter lvl 6
    Rifled Shotgun? Shotguns are smooth bore, no rifling.
    Shotguns with scopes?! Its like putting one on a SuperSoaker!
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ehsan gamer - thankyou, its getting there :)

I was going for a realistic theme like its a gun you would find on a farm in America. i see too many typical military guns these days so i though i would venture off into the world of the unknown haha.

@aaronaton - yep...there is such thing! i didnt make this shit up haha. The rifled mossberg 500 is actually built for hunting hence the scope. Huntsmen dont run up to deer and noscope the shit out of it...tho the image of it is making me laugh in my room by myself.

With the right shells a mossberg 500 rifled can shoot up to 150 yards with up to 2inch groups.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE!!

i reduced the poly count down to 7,284 for both the scope and shotgun combined which is just over half of what they used in MW3.

- I added edges to the scope and the caps as they were too low play before and people were saying they wouldnt bake well
    - Deleted a ton of faces that were hidden
    - removed all support edges and verts that didn't change the silhouette
    - still got a bit of optimising to do like the rail and other various parts that i need to double check.

FWSoC.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Those small circles near the shells could drop a bunch of polies. You could take a third of the sides out, and you definitely don't need to have 6 or so loops. Just a simple truncated cone for the small one and 2 extra loops for the large one. Just texture in that hole.

I think you still need to balance your scope (and scope clamp) cylinder sides a bit better. A larger cylinder needs more sides than a small one.

You should collapse some vertices on the front of the forend/reload-grip

Maybe add 1 extra loop on the scope lens to make it bulge a bit.
    rings_sides.png
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If there isn't a easy way to drop polys from the small bolts is it worth just remaking them with less sides? if so how many?
    I had a go at collapsing the forehand grip sides but it played around with the shape and silhouette too much :/. I have added a extra loop to the scope so hopefully that should bake a bit better? :)
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    Uh. I know personally I sometimes use loop select and choose every other line and then remove it.

removeloops.jpg

As you can see though, it makes it really low poly. So it's up to you really.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would that make it too low poly as it is like right in front of the player? or should i just man up and to the every other line thing?
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress on my unwrap for the Mossberg 500, still got the scope map to do.

packed.png
    upload picture