Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Mixamo Contest] yet another Beast!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
alphajayel polycounter lvl 6
Update 4.0
[7.31.20112]

I realized how bad the form was, mostly when you look at the side view. I haven't really figured out the correct form but here i'm iterating on it... hopefully getting closer to the most correct one. :D

1st pass:

Beast_anatomy_pass+2.0.jpg

2nd pass: decreased the size of the deltoids, adjusted the shape of the lats.

Beast_anatomy_pass+2.1.jpg

3rd pass: the 1st column is the form from the 2nd pass, the next columns show other adjustments I did. I'm not sure if his legs look better straight than bent, or his upper body should lean forward or what.

Beast_anatomy_passess.jpg

whew! last few weeks! O_O

Update 3.0
[7.29.2012]

I did a Zsketch just to have an idea of how my character concept could translate in 3D.

zsketch2.jpg

..and here I'm trying to nail down the anatomy. I'm gonna add in the details after it is worked out.

Beast_anatomy_pass.jpg

i'm having a hard time with neck because it's too short for the head, but i know it can work.

*Update* [7.24.2012]

I decided to step back and redo some sketches.
This will be close to the final concept, in consideration of the revisions that will come
from crits', comments and suggestions. :)

here is the mood board as well..

moodboard.jpg

...and the concept sketch. The revisions will just be addressed in 3D.
:D

concep+sketch.jpg

So hi!

here is my entry for this July-August's Mixamo Fantasy Character contest.

Just a few doodles for now, as I haven't really figured out what direction to go.

maybe i'd try more silhouettes to work out the design.

7.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

my Base mesh:

basemesh1.jpg

Zsketch ftw!

just tryna get loose, 'til I can really wrap my head around the character design.

zsketch1.jpg

as always, CC's are welcome. :)

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks awezome, love the design, one of the best beast so far.
  • crazythisguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he looks like chopper(onepiece)!! :)
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    The antlers on your drawing looks waaaaaaaay bigger and better. It's a lil bit ridiculous here ^^.

I think that you should remove the bones on the legs. The rib cage could be cool, but on the legs we just wonder what the heck is that thing ?
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet wrote: »
    looks awezome, love the design, one of the best beast so far.

wow, coming from you that's really motivating! I really like your work too! Thanks! :D
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he looks like chopper(onepiece)!! :)

I know! haha! I realized that after a while-- crazy this guy! :))

I like the antlers because it gives him an easy and clear silhouette, but I guess I have to tweak it more to remove the resemblance to chopper!

I think it should have a name soon!
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion wrote: »
    The antlers on your drawing looks waaaaaaaay bigger and better. It's a lil bit ridiculous here ^^.

I think that you should remove the bones on the legs. The rib cage could be cool, but on the legs we just wonder what the heck is that thing ?

you're absolutely right! I kinda liked it first in my sketches but it dint work in 3D. I still have a lot of stuff to change in the overall design, but I guess im stickin to the antlers and the hulkish anatomy of the beast. :)

btw, your's is looking really good! really diggin the design!
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jeffreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffreak polycounter lvl 6
    This beast looks awesome! nice form. I love the bony theme. I'm not sure about the pinkish red color though. Try experimenting with other hues. and can you give him a bigger Iron ball. I was just thinking, the person who tried to chain him to that Iron ball is out of his mind :))
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffreak wrote: »
    This beast looks awesome! nice form. I love the bony theme. I'm not sure about the pinkish red color though. Try experimenting with other hues. and can you give him a bigger Iron ball. I was just thinking, the person who tried to chain him to that Iron ball is out of his mind :))

@Jeffreak: Thanks!! Im not sure about the color too, I'll still play with diff combinations and palettes to see what really fits.I'm also thinking of removing the iron ball, just to make it easier to rig, esp. with the mixamo auto-rig. otherwise, ill make it bigger. hehehe
  • jerometado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love how the spines fit on his left arm!! Nice concept !! Just make sure your skulls all have the same sizes and proportion with the spine. IRON BALL FTW!!!
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jerometado wrote: »
    Love how the spines fit on his left arm!! Nice concept !! Just make sure your skulls all have the same sizes and proportion with the spine. IRON BALL FTW!!!

hahaha! What I really want to do is vary the sizes and types of the skulls, some human, some not. I'll do that in 3D..

the iron ball.... must be his lollipop. =O
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a little bump!

Can I have some crits guys? Time is running up! Thanks! ;)
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I love him, dont really have any crits, maybe more defiend musculature on the torso.

other then that I just wanna see this one finnished cause I think hes gonna be kick ass,

do you have any ideas for weapons?
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5

May I suggest a tree trunk?

As for any personal crits I may I have I would go for a more pronounced lion's mane. Give it more volume and in return it may add alot more to the character.

Other than that. It's awesome, get cracking on another update please.
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love him, dont really have any crits, maybe more defiend musculature on the torso.

other then that I just wanna see this one finnished cause I think hes gonna be kick ass,

hey lotet, your assassin's almost done and its looking kick ass!! congrats! :D

anyway, thanks for liking it, i will refine the muscles after i've finalized the form..right now it still looks awkward to me.

as for the weapon, i already have a design for it, ill post it soon! :)
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array wrote: »
    May I suggest a tree trunk?

As for any personal crits I may I have I would go for a more pronounced lion's mane. Give it more volume and in return it may add alot more to the character.

Other than that. It's awesome, get cracking on another update please.

Thanks Disarray! yea a tree trunk would really suit his size!

i like your idea of giving him a pronounced mane, ill iterate on that after im done with the anatomy. Thanks for the input! :)
  • mix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mix
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 5.0
    [8.15.2012]

I haven't had enough time to focus working on my character and it's been a while since I updated my entry. I have some improvements on the form and anatomy, and some things kinda changed like the character design. It's still going to be a beast though, haven't thought of a name for it yet! Suggestions anyone? :D

here are a couple of screenshots and turntables about my progress. :)

PastedImage.jpg

here I thought that the legs were too short so I lengthened them..

beastforamor2.jpg

here is the latest iteration for my anatomy pass.. with my current skill, I can't get it to the level that I was trying to get it too. So I'll just accept that and move on, I'll just continue practicing!

..and a quick silhouette turntable with the base meshes for the horns and stuff..
    gonna get them into zbrush to do more sculptiing!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDCyibaLbtY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDCyibaLbtY[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7iVBVCSez4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7iVBVCSez4[/ame]

then later i'll add in the belts and straps and what not... deadline's so neaarrr!! hope I can finish it in time!
  • jerometado
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice work with the anatomy and the silhouette..keep it up!!
  • lin_firefly
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice details! :)

Thank you lin_firefly! :D
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    HUH...to bad :( I really Liked the old one, much better silhouette and a lot of originalty, sorry man, its not what you wanted to hear, but in my opinion, the old one was better.

Its a great anatomy study though.
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 6.0
    [8.17.2012]

Finally! with armors! :)) they're still base meshes but atleast all I have to do is sculpt them now. :D I have a feeling that I won't make it to the deadline again buttt, it's too early to give up.. actually, it's not an option! :P

here are the version with armors. :)

1. pre-final detailed anatomy sculpt
    beast+detaild.jpg

2. Armored version #1
    Beast_armor+1a.jpg
    2.1. Silhouette
    Beast_armor+1+sil.jpg

3. Armored version #2
    Beast+Armored+front.jpg
    Beast+Armored+quarter.jpg
    Beast+Armored+side.jpg

It is neaaarrr! gotta finish this asap!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    still miss the old head with the hunchback, and the old horns. other then that its looking great
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still miss the old head with the hunchback, and the old horns. other then that its looking great

thanks lotet! I really wanted to it with the hunchback. I just couldn't get the form right in sculpting. I'm thinking of getting it through the pose. I'll find out when it's done!

btw, congrats on finishing early! your work is awesome!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will be hard, but if you don't sleep... maybe ^^.

The arrows stuck in the flesh are great, but the sword is a bit too muche I think... especially in the shoulder. Maybe he dosen't feel the pain, but the blade will block the joint and cut the muscles ^^.

He could also have some claws on the toes... here the feet look like Bugs Bunny's.

Anyway, if you can't finish it in time, don't give up, just finish it for yourself, and you could even improve it.
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will be hard, but if you don't sleep... maybe ^^.

The arrows stuck in the flesh are great, but the sword is a bit too muche I think... especially in the shoulder. Maybe he dosen't feel the pain, but the blade will block the joint and cut the muscles ^^.

He could also have some claws on the toes... here the feet look like Bugs Bunny's.

Anyway, if you can't finish it in time, don't give up, just finish it for yourself, and you could even improve it.

oh yes, sleep?.. i'll start forgetting what that means! haha! JK!

Yes about the sword, I'm actually waiting for someone to mention it. It makes sense that the blade will block his joint and stuff so I guess ill remove it. I just really like it in the sihouette. :)

still a lot of stuff to add, like claws on his feet and his hands! Thanks for the suggestions, and congrats on finishing your entry! :)
  • jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    the model looks great, hope you finish this work. and I think the swrod could be removed from shoulders and moved to the back, I think they would fit well there.
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 7.0
    [8.18.2012]

Im so happy about the extended deadline! Now I won't worry about not finishing on time. :)

so here is the latest progress of my beast!

Changes:

1. Moved the sword and dagger to the back, as suggested by texelion and jeebs! (Thanks guys!)

2. Added a few more basemeshes for the other parts

3. Changed the Antlers

Beast+almost+final+armors.jpg

anyway, congrats to those who have finished already, and goodluck to the rest of us. :)
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah now he got a blade stuck in the spine... you really think it's better, do you ? ^^ The problem is the same...

But maybe you could give him a dying pose ? Like after an harsh and deadly combat.
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah now he got a blade stuck in the spine... you really think it's better, do you ? ^^ The problem is the same...

But maybe you could give him a dying pose ? Like after an harsh and deadly combat.

it looks better to me! I'm really going for the silhouette.

It's fantasy after all, and he wouldn't be a beast if he died from a mere stab by a sword.

This Beast is strong enough that swords/daggers, physical weapons would break if they hit his bones. haha!
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's right ^^.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow, those are some big swords in his back there, I dont have any problems with them stuck in his back and him still standing, BUT I think it would restrict his movement though, maybe dont have them that deep?