Home General Discussion

Pimping and Preview forum

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Hello, i was wondering what sort of opinions do polycounters have about the Pimping and Preview forum. The reason i ask is to perhaps open up a discussion about how effective is the P&P forum.

Myself i am of the opinion that the forum is not adequate enough to handle the sheer amount of posts and there are so many that perhaps it isnt serving polycounters effectively. Perhaps needs some sort of posting criteria to reduce the amount of posts or to perhaps have the forum broken up into forums divided by categories, Such as Low poly art,High Poly Art,etc,etc.

I off course in no way want to discourage polycounters from posting work,but I feel there are alot of threads which are started which dont have and adequate amount of work that any polycounters can offer any sort of substantive critique or advice.

The sheer amount of threads in the forum sometimes leads to polycounters posting work only to have no replies at all and due to the sheer amount of threads sometimes a post can drop out of the front page so quickly that noone will ever comment on them.

Im curious to what sort of opinions other Polycounters have, perhaps im just alone in my opinion...

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Judging by the Low Poly thread, which clearly states < 1000 tris and yet has many posts of well over that, people will not adhere to any sort of guidelines when pimping work.

Personally, I don't think we need to splinter the forum any more than it is.

I would agree with you if any of these threads without comments had zero views, but usually they have plenty of views and zero comments. This in itself is a pretty strong comment about the content.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I understand what you mean but i think it will be very messy with sub categories. I already think its messy when i click up technical talk general discussion and p&p with different threads in them to click (not messy but its allot to click then and i think it might get messy if it gets more).
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah... I sort of agree. I click maybe one in 50, maybe even one in 100 threads in P&P.
    I might sound a bit harsh though, but my reasoning behind it:
    I don't have time to look at all threads, so I only click the ones that sound interesting (like a weapon, vehicle, spaceship.. my personal interests). I really filter the thread names when going through them. I might click because it has a ton of replies to see what's going on even though it wouldn't interest me right away.
    • If I see the content is absolutely terrible I don't really bother replying; I got past that stage myself (my art looking terrible) without any help, by just persisting and trying to learn how to improve. I feel its not up to me to make a difference in such a case.
    • If the art's alright and i see the person is on track but missing a few key things I'll probably write a helpful post. doesn't happen often.
    • If the art is really good I'll post a positive comment unless the amount of butt-kissing is off the charts already. This doesn't happen often either.

So yeah... I sometimes wish i'd see more good stuff, but then again I wouldn't have time for all of that.

One thing I feel we could really benefit a lot from:
    use a thumbnail next to the thread titles in the overview. Something like the first image posted in the OP, or the image attached to the OP. Ideally you'd automate this and allow users a way to update it..
    I feel this could make a big difference in picking out threads. the amount of care and the quality of a thumbnail says a lot about the skill on display in the thread IMO!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I can understand your reasoning behind looking at just a few,but i also think it would be unfortunate for up and coming artists to be discouraged from posting because their work is so green that noone will offer up C&C.

I suppose it could be the case that the P&P section will be as good as it can be,but if there are paths to improving the forum it would always be a good thing to look into.

Xoliul wrote: »
    Yeah... I sort of agree. I click maybe one in 50, maybe even one in 100 threads in P&P.
    I don't have time to look at all threads, so I only click the ones that sound interesting (like a weapon, vehicle, spaceship.. my personal interests). I really filter the thread names when going through them. I might click because it has a ton of replies to see what's going on even though it wouldn't interest me right away.
    • If I see the content is absolutely terrible I don't really bother replying; I got past that stage myself (my art looking terrible) without any help, by just persisting and trying to learn how to improve. I feel its not up to me to make a difference in such a case.
    • If the art's alright and i see the person is on track but missing a few key things I'll probably write a helpful post. doesn't happen often.
    • If the art is really good I'll post a positive comment unless the amount of butt-kissing is off the charts already. This doesn't happen often either.

So yeah... I sometimes wish i'd see more good stuff, but then again I wouldn't have time for all of that.

use a thumbnail next to the thread titles in the overview. Something like the first image posted in the OP, or the image attached to the OP. Ideally you'd automate this and allow users a way to update it..
    I feel this could make a big difference in picking out threads. the amount of care and the quality of a thumbnail says a lot about the skill on display in the thread IMO!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15

I herd this was in the works awhile ago. Id love this idea but havent seen anything since. Any say on its duability?
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    This is my issue with it: It feels like a lottery as to whether or not you will get a critique. I've posting things that get 0 responses when I really felt like I needed help. Then, I've posted things on a complete whim that have gotten, in my opinion, entirely too many responses.

It's the issue of when you need help, people aren't interested enough to comment. But when you are so good that you don't need help, you will get much more replies, which you don't really need because you already know what you are doing.

In that sense, the P&P forum is lacking for me. I mainly use it to get reference images at this point. Which I am really glad that it exists for that. One thing that really stands out is maybe there should be a dedicated tutorial forum?? I dunno, but having some really kick ass tutorials constantly competeing in there is bad for the people who might benefit from finding them.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Yea I see how CA.ORG works with thumbnails and don't know how helpful that is.
    Your comment alone (not that you meant this) almost says hey if your not at such and such skill I'm not going to bother to look at your thread.

Perhaps a tag at the start of the thread by the poster? Set by default by the system, that you have to choose one of these:
    Beginner - Average - Advanced - Talented: [title of thread] rating (by peers)*****

Under the thread could be what they need.
    (Critic This piece)-(Check out my portfolio)-(Need help, guidance)-(Pimp)

Having more options would probably make things easy for everyone, the rating system is only allowed by registered users with a certain post count to prevent inflations.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Ya, I don't really look at many in P&P either. Peoples thread naming skills are seriously bad, and I only look at the ones with good thread names. If they can't come up with a creative, descriptive thread title, chances are, I won't look at it.

The grape vine tells me there are some big changes coming to polycount, but i dont know specifics. From what little ive heard, your worries will be addressed though
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    I'm...I've seen writing critique forums where in order to post a new thread in a subforum you have to post several responses in that subforum first. Like, for every new thread you needed to accrue five replies/crits. It wouldn't ensure quality feedback, but if you required those posts to be 100-200 words each, it would at least guarantee some sort of content in those responses. Of course, I have no idea what's involved with setting that sort of system up.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A part of me would like them to just transform P&P into one big, "...you are now being redirected to Deviantart" minus the journals and stuff

hey now, hey :thumbup:
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I'm...I've seen writing critique forums where in order to post a new thread in a subforum you have to post several responses in that subforum first. Like, for every new thread you needed to accrue five replies/crits. It wouldn't ensure quality feedback, but if you required those posts to be 100-200 words each, it would at least guarantee some sort of content in those responses. Of course, I have no idea what's involved with setting that sort of system up.

Love this idea. Well, I love the idea of having a minimum character limit. Even if its like minimum of 25-50 characters, so that it limits the "Awesome!" posts. Might make people actually say WHAT they like about it. Not just that they like it.

Also, it would limit cat pics. or severely increase them... lol
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea of adding tags with what you want to achieve with your thread, maybe small icons under the thread with what you want instead of text so it wont me so cluttered, and if you hover over the icon you will see what the icon mean. For example "i want critic".
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't always have time to comment but when I do, I try to hit the threads that people seem to miss or the threads that have a lot of views and no comments. If its great, people can drop a quick "I love it and move on". But most of the time the art needs work and people don't have time to dig in and really help the person out so they move on. These are the people I like to try and nudge in the right direction. They need help, even if they are normally only looking for someone to confirm how awesome they think they are. Finding the people that actually want help and will benefit from someone pointing out a few things is a tough task and I don't like to waste my time.

With any luck the person digs in and works harder and gets better. Sometimes they get discouraged pack up their GI Joes and storm off. Which is fine, if they are serious about this, then they need to improve or go find something else to do.

But yea, that's my experience, its tough to find the people that actually want help even though it seems like there are a lot of them. I'm not exactly sure what polycount could change to make that easier...
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I wish the thread titles would adhere to a standard.

For example, maybe I'm in the mood for looking up props, and help people? Or maybe I would like to see some 2D art instead of 3D.

Or maybe, I had enough of seeing characters and want some pretty environments and go from there?

Something like "3D - Prop - SciFi Rifle" would do wonders to help filter out what I would like to see.

Yet for some reason, people are OK with putting in "ArenaNet Test - Type - Name" all the damn time. So if say 10 years from now, I want to look up any ArenNet threads, I can with ease, but for that one awesome guys making that one awesome rifle? I get to each a Donkey's Ass being sodomized through with lobster juice because all they typed was "Future Rifle".
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    It's also just an unavoidable symptom of Polycount becoming much larger. I remember when i started out here (which isn't very long ago), it was still possible to keep track of threads in P&P (they wouldn't change at a rate of 1 page per hour).
    A number of things have led to an influx of people, like the TF2 competition, Brawl Results getting posted all over the net, DotA 2 workshop... etc

Here's another idea I've seen on other forums. SMCars.net does it, cg-cars as well. They split their WIp forums in a few sections, and even have one for "advanced/higher level stuff". It's not like our Showcase since it's not THAT much of a pedestal and threads get moved there frequently (you cant start a thread yourself, they get moved there by Mods).
    I'd prefer that system over what we have now, since anything is better than the current avalanche...

Edit: or you could do mandatory thread prefixes. Another forum I go to has this. There's a dropdown with thread prefixes. If you don't allow people to post with the default option (like give them an error when they haven't bothered picking something from the list), it could be a big improvement as well.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    $!nz wrote: »
    almost says hey if your not at such and such skill I'm not going to bother to look at your thread.

E5tKU.jpg
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    I think things like the Mixamo contest need to be proactively put into their own sub forum. It's super annoying right now seeing 10 different Mixamo contest threads when trying to look through everything else.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Didnt really read the previous posts so I'm prepared to be slapped in the face and will drop this bomb:

Why not have a students topics section? Or a portfolio only section?
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    I always thought you should add a Artdump category and probably a WIP section and finished models section because pimping and previews isn't really defined.
    So it should look like that:
    Pimping and Previews: - WIPS
    - Finished Stuff
    - Artdumps
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I think people like to see progress. If you upload a picture of a WIP something, and you don't update with progress, then people won't be interested.

I think we could at least divide up the forum so there's 3 sections;
    Environment Art,
    Assets/Props/Vehicles,
    Characters/Creatures/

I could be wrong, but I'm assuming that's how people usually browse through P&P. The forum is getting to such a size that I think it's necessary to divide it up like that
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Id rather have like this,
    "what are you working on thread" is simply elegant and down to earth sticky thread Ive ever seen in cg forum.
    separation in many section only make more artwork unnoticeable ...

if you are average joe, maybe you can spam on "what are you working on ", and put the link of your own thread to let people see more wip.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    What I'd like to have is a place to talk about actual art. Talk about color theory, anatomy, art history, shape, form, anything that's not technical. The opposite of the Technical Talk forum really (though that one is great for just the technical side of things).

The P&P really sucks for that. It's mostly just people telling someone how awesome he is. Or if there is a crit, it's on something technical usually.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I do think thumbnails would worth the try.
    I tend to look at nicely named threads or thread where i know the OP is a beast. Most of the time i only look at waywo or sketch threads, and i know i miss awesome stuff.
    We have the week recap which is always great tho.

Also, mmh maybe tags? I don't think i want really divided forums per asset category but maybe a simple way to filter, if users want to.
    bit like foundation3d ?
    http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

or gmail labels...
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Alot of really good ideas,i think well named threads would be a big help,thumbnails would also be good but i would also still like to see the forum broken up into sections.

As it is,the P&P seems too unorganized...
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I would love to get thumbnails for threads and the artsy fartsy forum like Bigjohn mentioned.

As for what to do about P&P? No idea. Having a minimum character count on posts and forcing new members to make a certain number of posts before being allowed to use IMG tags would help thin the herd, but it'd also present a wall for people who are interested but don't have a lot to say.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    A nice meta tag like system when creating a thread would be interesting. There could be a list of tags and users can choose - 2 - tag's that best describe the piece. That way people can easily filter out stuff there not interesting in, ie character, environment, weapon, Just vauge-ish filters people can choose.

The bonus of this is less bogged down of work your not interested in. So if you have 200 threads a day, 10 are weapons 9 are buried beneath by 200 and 1 is on the front page. Filter to weapons, removes the 190 threads your not interested in, you can see all 10 weapon threads. (plus the older threads too ofc)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Actually, on the iAnimate site, when we post videos, there is a dropdown menu that we categorize our stuff with. Then when we click on the videos tab, it shows everything, but there is a drop down that lets us sort through categories. I think that would work well for this site. Especially if you made it mandatory, aka didn't let you submit until you change the default drop down category.

That way you can sort through WIP, Fantasy, Sci Fi, Art Dump, Sketches, 2d, Animation, etc etc.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Xoliul wrote: »

Feel the exact same way. That is why I am such a HUGE fan of the weekly recaps. Gives me a chance to checkout awesome work I would have missed. And the links to there respective threads makes it easier to check out the rest of the work.

Edit: Its also why I mentioned in someones thread that they shouldnt name things so generic and uninteresting sounding. Because who is going to want to see that. The title was like "another temple scene". How many "sci fi corridor/hallway" threads are created each week.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If a thumbnail system was put in place, it would be super cool if there was a system similar to CGHub's front page that cycled through new and popular content. A critique system like WIPNation's would also be amazing.

Both would be a horrible fuckton of work, but I guess I just like to dream.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    What's WIPNation's critique system?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Most of the good work goes into the WAYWO thread and it's the only one I check now. My eyes have completely glossed over the rest of P&P because I see so many threads titled "Scifi corridor" or "Some cool dude."

I already know their thread is a waste of my time because they aren't even motivated enough to name it something half-decent.

Now it's flooded with Mixamo and ArenaNET stuff. It's already tough to look at tons of the same thing when people apply for a job (art tests), I don't want more of it in P&P.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I agreed on the whole thumbnail thing, its really nice and makes it easier to find threads.
    Also, it would be nice with some prefix standards for threads, might even make it as options when posting new post, so you choose the category you feel your thread is about, and then it would appear something like:

[Environment] Space corridor number 2533
    [Script, Blender] CryEngine exporter for blender
    [Character] Demon Dick on wheels

And add that to the WIP section as well:

[3DS Max] How do I get the UV to scale between islands?
    [UDK, 3DS Max] Exportering to 3ds max make bad polys
    <--- although I would say if you choose UDK option, the thread would automatically be moved to the UDK forum.

Etc. And by having the category as something you pick in a list (which we then can expand at popular demand), you get something uniform you can search easier for, or maybe even filter.

And if people post threads titles like "I need help, Im lost", auto delete them :P nonedescriptive titles is a pain.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    What's WIPNation's critique system?

Say you post a sketch of a piece you're planning to take to a finished, fully painted state. Other members can comment on it and they can also do simple paintovers with a red pen. That lets them circle areas, draw lines, write notes, etc. It's all done in the browser. Once you post an update to your sketch, it goes in a strip of thumbnails that act as a visual chronology of your WIP that shows your previous iterations and any redlines that people have done for you.

Check it out: https://www.wipnation.com/

It's a super cool website and there are some pretty big names in the concept community posting. It's really too bad it doesn't get more attention from 3D artists; they could use it just as much as the 2D guys.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Selaznog wrote: »
    I think people like to see progress. If you upload a picture of a WIP something, and you don't update with progress, then people won't be interested.

I think we could at least divide up the forum so there's 3 sections;
    Environment Art,
    Assets/Props/Vehicles,
    Characters/Creatures/
    t

I think rather than dividing up P&P those simply need stricter thread prefixes,
    Those can all just be properly named threads "UDK scene/env/char/props/veh, etc

Plus it would be more hassle having to go back and forth from multiple subforums.

I like the sound of adding tags to threads. perhaps more than thumbnails, I think they would be good but it could get cluttered, although I have to admit I often hover my mouse over the thread to read the first couple lines that appear in a pop up box.
    Beginner - Average - Advanced - Talented:
    I don't think adding artist level labels will work out in the long run,
    1- artists can't label themselves unopinionatively
    2- could make people ignore threads deliberately

I would like to see some drop down options during thread creation, that would ensure people adhere to correct naming conventions; eg

-UDK- Env - sci-fi - wip
    -Cry- Char - fantasy- artdump
    etc
  • blacksmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would love these sections:

WIP

FINISHED WORK
    PORTFOLIOS
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thumbnails could be good, but I think it will big a big detriment to beginners. A few mentioned there isn't time to click into each thread, and that bad/poor art sometimes isn't worth the time. Any time I've visited a forum that had thumbnail previews, it looks cluttered, and I feel more rushed to click into eye-catching pics.

A facebook-style Like button maybe? Liking a post would be a good save against walls of 'good job', but those walls are great for many people, and this might work against that.

Tags like foundation3d look messy, a good thread title should grab someones' interest or describe the content, with bias towards the former. A icon/tag for WIP, Needs Crit, Finished Showcase, or Game Artdump would be handy.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    haha I have actually moved my mouse as if to "like" posts before XD

Altho that could lead to considerably less critiques, and just more likes... :/
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some thinking and I have an idea: How about a Detailed Critique Section!?! Each user is initially allowed to make only one thread in the detailed critique section (can you code that?). If you make a thread in the detailed critique section a Detailed Critique Mod will give you a detailed critique within a couple of days alongside anyone else who is interested in doing so. However, once the thread maker posts the completed work in that same thread, a detailed critique mod will approve it and then give you the ability to make another thread (I'm assuming these thread limits can be imposed with some kind of code).

One user cannot make more than 3 Detailed Critique threads per year. This will help people to be careful about what they post there. And if they never finish a project that they start in the thread, then they will never be able to post in the detailed critique section again.

There would be about 7-8 of these mods to keep track of this forum and make the critiques.

I like this idea because for those of us without the skill to "PIMP" anything, what we really are after is quality critiques. And I once posted things before that I suppose people didn't like, and therefore it got no critiques to aide me in improving on it. But on the other hand I once posted something that people did say they liked. But there was no actual critique - it was just "thumbs up", "I approve". It wasn't constructive. Nice to hear, maybe. But it didn't teach me anything.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    blacksmith wrote: »
    I would love these sections:

WIP

FINISHED WORK
    PORTFOLIOS

No. One of the things I like most about P&P is seeing the WIP and the final in the same thread. I fucking hate forums that feel the need to separate the two.

I don't think anything needs changed. I'd be cool with thumbnails for threads, but I think P&P handles itself really well right now. As Sectaurs said, the threads that don't get comments do get a fair amount of views, nothing is wrong there. And I feel like the WAYWO thread fixes any "flaws" it might have as a whole.

The WAYWO thread is basically a huge collection of a ton of the P&P threads in one place. I can go through the past several pages and if I see something I want to see more of, I can look at the users thread history - or often times people will make mention that they're cross posting, and give a link to the WIP thread. This combined with the weekly recaps give me all the direction I need.

I guess you could change stuff up if you want, but I think all we'd discover is that people aren't going to stick to the guidelines and then you'd have entire SECTIONS not getting looked at, because people would skip over them just like they skip over thread titles they're not interested in.

Edit: To elaborate a bit on that last comment of mine, I'll say that right now I think P&P is designed perfectly to broaden people's horizons and interests. I've accidentally discovered all sorts of things I would've normally skipped over if they were given their own section, and I'm really glad I encountered them.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that P&P shouldn't be separated.

Splitting it up would cause the user base to be split. Split the user base and you suddenly have a website where nobody knows who anyone is. You could be on here for a couple of years and then you'd see someone you're not familiar with. They have three thousand posts and you wonder why you've never seen them before, and it turns out they only hang out in the finished work subsection of the environment art forum and they're in a completely different timezone than you are.

That's terrible.

Tags yes. Separate forums no.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm wondering if WAYWO would be more helpful if people also linked to a P&P thread about whatever it is they where working on. That way deeper discussion could go on but it doesn't have to take place in WAYWO?

So post in WAYWO as a way to bring people to the WIP thread as well as show people what you're working on?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I agree about WAYWO. If I'm really interested in a thread, I'm most likely to find it through WAYWO first. It could be helpful to P&P if somehow WAYWO was more integrated with the other threads than it just being its own thread. Just an idea.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    one thing, it's very hard to see if someone posted a finished work due to the heavy amount of thread per days. I think there should be a section for finished works, with thumbs if possible.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Shouldn't that be in the Polycount Showcase section really? Or is that only for selected pieces? To be frank, Im rarely in there, because it seem a bit slow on updates.

I think the main thing that is different for polycount and other sites, is that other sites seem to have a gallery section, just for the images and not the threads. Polycount is more forum then a full site with flashy stuff imo. More about knowledge.
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    JO420 wrote: »
    Alot of really good ideas,i think well named threads would be a big help,thumbnails would also be good but i would also still like to see the forum broken up into sections.

As it is,the P&P seems too unorganized...
    Lephenix wrote: »
    I always thought you should add a Artdump category and probably a WIP section and finished models section because pimping and previews isn't really defined.
    So it should look like that:
    Pimping and Previews: - WIPS
    - Finished Stuff
    - Artdumps
    :)
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    One thing I really like about polycount is that most stuff is in big category's (P&P/sketchbooks/technical discussion).

And you don't have to go trough 5 different forum sections if you just want to have a look at what new works have been added in the last day or so.

So for that reason I voted "it's fine to me", but I would also like a prefix/tag system for the people that just want to focus on certain pieces (characters/weapons/etc).

Not only to have better thread titles, but just for the ability to quickly sort the threads by what you want.

(and stay away from the beginner/average/advanced/etc tags, since I don't see many people being able to accuratly place themselves within one of those groups).

If people would want more then that I guess you could also do a like/don't like system, or just a like system, so when looking trough threads you could easily see next to the thread title (+12/-3), so people with not a lot of time could easily pick out the better ones they just want to see, the people that want to give critique, can still look at that + the amount of replies and give feedback.

But obviously, that's opening a whole other can of worms (systems like this are kind of known for abuse), but it was just an idea I had.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I also like the simplicity of the single forum we have right now, though a thumbnail system could be cool. Better naming conventions are something that people should get in the habit of doing anyway, and perhaps we can just lead by example? If newbs see everyone posting with a similar format, they might pick up on it, and we don't need to add any additional crap to tag threads.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Haiasi wrote: »
    I agree about WAYWO. If I'm really interested in a thread, I'm most likely to find it through WAYWO first. It could be helpful to P&P if somehow WAYWO was more integrated with the other threads than it just being its own thread. Just an idea.

I totally agree with this. I was just talking to some guys the other days about how I don't even look through threads anymore, I just go to the WAYWO. It's too time consuming to go through the all the various threads looking for interesting work. People expect instant gratification from websites now (myself included).

I really wish there was something like what is on Zbrush central and cghub, where you can see all the images that are posted and follow them to their own thread. Because, while WAYWO is cool, I don't like it when I see work there I want to ask questions about or see more about the process, but there is no corresponding thread. I know a lot of people have started cross-posting, but it would be cool to have something built in.

I just think it's weird that we as visual artists in this day and age are relying on text to represent our work outside of the WAYWO threads.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thumbnail system would be great. And also maybe someone could do a good introduction video you had to watch and answer a few questions right to be able to post. The "rules" might get followed more. (Hope that pc don't got like deviantart, lots of people and stuff and not so many good comments.)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey everyone.

First off I think I need to mention quickly that we're listening and agree with a lot of the criticism given so far. P&P needs to be easier to navigate and find artwork you want to comment on, or even whether or not a thread is of interest to you in the first place.

Thread previewing is a huge deal to me and I especially want it to be a major feature of the site (among many, many others). I would love to see thread previewing on mouse-over for topics as I don't think thumbnails like other sites is very attractive.

I won't get in to specific ideas here on the forum, but I have talked about some of them openly during the Google Hangouts or if/when I livestream (shameless plug: www.twitter.com/adambromell I usually Tweet when I'm Streaming). We have a lot of things planned or filed under "We'd Love To Do" that we know you guys would love. It's all based around the notion of seeing a lot of art in a short amount of time and commenting on the ones you'd like to follow or offer your guidance for.

We do, however, have an issue.

Well, we have many issues, but they fall under one swooping problem: The current site, as it is, is difficult to update with features. It's one thing to simply drop in vBulletin plug-ins but its another thing altogether to tune them to our needs specifically at Polycount.

The problem here lies in how we did the update a few years ago, with Wordpress controlling our blog and vBulletin controlling our forum. 2 bridged CMS' has resulted in rather large pain in the ass for updates on features.

However, we're going to fix it - Polycount, that is. We're currently in the midst of figuring out exactly what we want to do to the site so that its the best it can be: Showcasing artwork, your articles (read: thoughtful forum posts), allow you to critique easier, follow artists you particularly like, a complete redesign of 'News' so that its a much faster drip of content (read: easier for us to push content out and Showcase our community better), introduce methods of letting Polycount be a 'home' for your artwork, and so on.

This, as I'm sure you can tell, isn't something we can simply do through vBulletin plugins and the like. It requires a complete redesign of Polycount in terms of the software we use to run it and what that will get us. Our largest hurdle right now is the content here on the site. Anything we go with must be able to maintain every post you guys have made, every blog post we've done, every PM you've sent to eachother, every image you attached to your thread, all of your avatars, and so on. We're massive, so the database is massive. So in addition to redesiging the site we need people who are capable of handling such a load of content management.

We need it to be professionally done. In the past its been us working with PC'ers who know how to code, friends who do side work, and so on. But now we're looking to have an agency actually handle some things for us. And this means money. This stuff costs. Since we never want to take your guys' money (seriously, don't ask how to donate or anything, we don't want it) we're workign out ways of getting what we need to get the site done. This work is expensive so it might take time.

I'm personally not in favor of band-aid solutions. Sure I could find a plugin for Thumbnails right now and install it, but thats a band-aid to a larger issue and I'd really not like to compact that sort of stuff on to us right now.

So there it is.

We're listening and I am personally extremely happy to see threads like this because it means you guys care and pay attention ;) In fact I've copied a lot of points made from this thread in to an email that Iv'e sent to myself at home so I can update our design & feature hub that we're sending out to developers for estimates.

So to paraphrase:

-Great ideas
    -We'll do our best to address everything
    -When? Hopefully soon. It kills me a little more every day that it doesn't happen.
    -We're absolutely listening when you guys bring this stuff up, noting the great ideas and trying to decipher the intentions of the bad ones (<3)
    -I personally appreciate this type of thread so please, keep the ideas coming and don't mind me if join in on the conversation.