Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review (Andreas Strømberg)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
Hey good guys and girls :)

I thought it was time to get some portfolio critique to see where I am heading.

As many here I am looking for a job, so the last thing I need is for something that's not work related to make my portfolio worse than needed(like navigation and such)

Here you go :)
http://www.strombergart.com/

Replies

• S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Your art looks good and your resume is easy to read, although it might be just me but i did not understand right away how the image viewing worked that they poped up at the bottom after you selected a thumbnail.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    All your content and resume are tiny and on one side. Tons of wastes space for the other 3/4th of the screen. Gimme them big centered images.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource: Thanks :) Maybe I can improve the thumbnails.

Cholden: Not that you say it, I wonder why I have not noticed that before or anyone else has mentioned something, cause as you say I have more background than art showing, I will fix that right now :)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah, for me they are reaally far to the right, so i have to scroll to see the images ^^
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about now?
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    That's allot better, imo. :)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    yea, much better. It's as though this is a portfolio by a way better artist.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to hear :)
    I have no idea what I was thinking using such small images :P
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will bump this, cause would be nice to get everything.
    If nothing comes up I will let it die out :)
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    I like it hmm don't you finish that weapon for OverDose ? I'd put that in place of one of the props.Good luck !
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt: Not quite yet, very close to starting texturing though :)
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like your work so much, but your website is hard to understand. Its more like a blog than a portfolio.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot :)
    Well it's setup with blogger so it kinda has that feel, I will try and improve on that.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Not a fan of the weapon but mostly because of the design, and that is something you really did not have much control over. However that being said I think the modeling could have been pushed much farther to help save an otherwise poor design. While you have some interesting shapes modeled in there you also intersected too much. The texture and material definition could definitely use some more work. That orthographic 3/4 first person view of it does crazy stuff to the proportions - why did you not render it with perspective?

The bicycle weapon is such an esoteric and strange subject matter I really do not know how I feel about it. I think you did a good job of modeling that actual seat.

The forklift is nice but I think the modeling could have been pushed even further.

The Bioschock machine is very inefficiently unwrapped. It also has a major texel density discrepancy which is distracting for the viewer.

I think you can remove the cannon and medic sci-fi pillar.

The website itself is nice and simple, but it does have that generic, cookie-cutter template quality to it, which in a way serves to cheapen the content on it.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera: Thanks for the great critic and kind words, will remove the pillar and the cannon, replace them with something better soon :)

On the rifle I really like the design myself, but there are areas that could be improved on it, I will try and carry that to my next project.
    The renders are from perspective but I did mess with the focal length of the 3ds max camera, so I think that's why.

The bicycle weapon is a bit special indeed I just had to finish it, if it is to special for some I can remove it.

The Bioschock machine yeah, I was looking at the scene a few days ago and the unwrap I did is really bad.
    From what I remember I manage to corrupt my first unwrap for it so I got lazy when I had to redo it, should have taken my time though.
    Would have saved my a lot of trouble in the end.

I will try and get a "real" website when I grow up, cause blogger is kinda limited I think :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good man :) So what is your goal? Getting a prop-artist job? Weapon-artist? Either way , looks really sweet man, my only gripe is with the Bioshock Machine and the texel density but it's already been mentioned :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby: Thanks mate :)
    My goal is mainly getting any job I can involving hard surface modeling.
    Of course weapon, prop or environment artist would be preferred, working on my first environment as you might know ;)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys and girls.
    A lot has happened since I started this topic, well I did a redesign on my website, tell me what you think.
    Unfortunately not much new work there, going to change that soon ;)

www.strombergart.com
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I really like the thumbnails, but the front page font is... less cool :P

But you got some solid work and the site looks nice overall.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i don't like darkened thumbnails. instead of getting a first impression of "nice, lots of cool art" my impression was "hm, lots of dark art". i think you should throw the "real" look of assets in people's faces rather than forcing them to do something in order to to see a more clear image with correct brightness/saturation/etc.
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    I thought the same as Blaisoid about the dark thumbnails, other than that it seems to be quite a nice website
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any ideas for fonts then, if there is more that dislike the current one? :)

I can try and do something about the thumbnails, I do agree that it's a bit deceiving hiding the proper colors and lighting.

But again I want there to be some kind of indication when you hover over a picture, any ideas on how to pull that of?

Thanks guys.
  • Wingednosering
    Looks great. I agree that the dark thumbnails are a little strange. I like the way you lay out the textures, wireframes, UVs, etc within each asset's page.

I would recommend switching the order of things around though. The bike weapon isn't a bad asset, but it's a little strange for it to be front and center. In my opinion, your most impressive pieces are the cave scene and overdose weapon, so I'd place them right at the top.

The Remington 700 seems like it doesn't belong. The model is nice, but not jaw-dropping and the texturing being done by another person sort of cheapens it.
  • Brownstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my honest opinion, I like your work. Your art style seems consistent, but you slightly sell yourself short by the initial dark thumbnails as you enter the page. My first impression was that you didn't light your scenes, only finding out otherwise, after mousing over them.

Keep the mouse-over effect, but keep them at their original brightness initially to make the page more "interesting" upon first glance.

Maybe even categorize your pieces.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critics really valuable, will change stuff around once I get home :)

I will categorize my portfolio when I get enough stuff in there, a bit bare now ;)