Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character ArtTest, Soldier

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys! so i did this lowpoly character that is 900Tris and 1k maps for an art test that i am still waiting the the final answer.

i had 6 days to do it so i splited this like this:
- 3 days modeling
- 1 day retopo,baking and finaly
- 2 days texturing

i want to know what you guys think about it :D

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It would probably have been smart to at least give him a right index finger so he can shoot stuff. And the head looks somewhat messy, with a lot of unneeded triangles on the chin/mouth but too few to round out the cranium. Especially in the rear shots he looks like a pyramid.

Some smaller things: I would have cut some triangles from the boots. And used maybe a dozen or so tris in total to smooth out the top of the backpack and rear of the coat. And two triangles to make the profile of the nose less pointy. And then two or four more to smooth out the collar some.

All in all not a bad effort, though, given the time constraints.
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work you have killed it! Could you post up the textures please?
    It would be interesting to see how you packed the UV's, to get so much detail out of 1k
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I'd say its quite good really, given the constraints, tho I dont know what the brief or the concept was.

I agree w/ pretty much all of Snaders comments, he seems to have pointed out the same stuff I noticed. Mostly just some poor choices on yer poly distribution.
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah youre right guys about the topology, it really suck. i should have ocumented more about those things before starting.

Also with the Uvs , Should have splited the face... i will know for the next time!

Im still on hold, i guess they are waiting for more submissions.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Awesome job, good luck to you!!
    The nose is so funny
    Took 7 days after I sent my art test to get an answer, pretty fast,
    Please tell us about the result!
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Marie!

actually they answered me and told me that i was on the Hold, so thats not a yes or no for now :D

lets wait and see!
  • pixeldamage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixeldamage polycounter lvl 14
    Good attempt but a few things I noticed:

There's a lot of deviation from your HP sculpt. The sleeves balloon out around the gloves on the LP and there's a lot of silhouette lost especially around the legs.

On the HP your clip pouches are tightly packed (or at least it looks it from the angle). If you bunched them together tighter on your LP you could get rid of a bunch of polys and describe those 'gaps' on your texture rather than mesh.

I'd like to see more weight about the knee (on the LP you could break the hard straight lines of the silhouette). The folds are a little too regular and could do with some definition, hard edges etc on the HP sculpt - there's also a lot of normal map info lost in your bake. Either try boosting your normal map in the weak areas or exaggerate the upper body detail of your sculpt. The knee pads look too flat to me.

Hope this helps! Good luck on your application. Let us know :)
  • North
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    My friend took this same test and got hired recently. Im not sure its a good idea to share this on polycount; Same goes with any art test. There is kind of a weird trend right now of people doing this, but that doesnt mean it is okay. It would probably be in your best interest to delete this thread if youre 'on hold'.
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agreed. I know people want to know others opinions on how they did, but let the art studio tell you that. Do the test on your own and post your results if you want feedback from a community like this. Honestly, I would have done the same thing if I would have taken a test like this recently, but after reading all the comments it makes sense. The studio now has to spend time rethinking the test so no one cheats. Because right now, I could model this character and turn it in, but could have spent 2 weeks on it. Not fair to you or the studio, you know? At least you didn't post which studio - good on ya. :)
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THanks PixelDamage for the crits!

and i agree with you guys! i dont have a clue on how to delete my thread so ill just remove the images!

Have a good one!
  • Zedblade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zedblade polycounter lvl 10
    If you signed an NDA, then yeah, you shouldn't post a test. However, if you didn't sign anything, there really isn't any reason not to and the company can't do a thing about it.

Also, most studios giving the test have so many to look over that they simply don't have the time or man power to send back detailed critiques to every applicant. Requesting feedback on sites like these is basically the only way to get critiqued.

I see nothing wrong with posting an art test as long as you didn't sign an NDA and posted the test after you submitted it to the studio.

And if it makes any difference, I work at a studio and 'grade' art tests all the time.