Home Technical Talk

God rays in Cryengine 3?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys, I currently working on a scene and was wondering if anyone knows how create god rays in cryengine 3. I have been reading some stuff on point light shafts, but I cant really find info on how to use them, if anyone could help that would be great thanks!

Replies

• Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure if this helps but..

on the time of day window about 2/3 the way down are the settings for sun rays and sun shafts. I think they only work when something is partially obscuring the sun in your line of sight as they are part of the bloom effect.

doh! found it...
    http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC2/Geometric+Light+Beams
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey thanks! So do I just use , the shader on a geometry plane or something? I am try to achieve the way the god rays are affecting the fog in this picture NewEnvionment.jpg. Anyways thanks for your help!
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    The option in the TOD settings is for the sun only. If you want to use them on a point light, which I believe they added in one of the patches, you may need to enable it in both the lights property and by a console command.

Both are post-process effects and are view-dependant so you'll need to be looking at the source for the effects to be visible unfortunately, unlike in Crysis where they had proper 3d-volumes.

Another way is just to use a plane with a fancy shader on it, but you loose the dynamic sharding of the rays.