Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Alleyway Mini Scene

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
biofrost polycounter lvl 12
I figured it would be fun to tackled something on a smaller scale and be able to focus on some of my weaker skills. So far I have mostly been doing sci- fi only things and I need to expand my skill set. So I figured a mini scene would be best to test that out.

My biggest issue that has been pointed out to me is that it seems a bit generic so far. I need to come up with some kind of story for this scene.

So any crits would be awesome, or ideas on how to liven this baby up.(ignore the brick textured trash bin haha)

7BdCZ.jpg
BTTLT.jpg
kjXIA.jpg

and some Texture samples

jK0cJ.jpg
lOOph.jpg
Jodbd.jpg

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Have one of the doors opened up to reveal:
    -a drug scene
    -someone tinkering on their bike
    -a couple of secret agents monitoring a person of interest in their makeshift HQ
    -some agents 'interrogating' a suspect
    -a starting band playing for a small crowd
    -an (illegal) snack bar
    -someone having a garage sale
    -¿¿??
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    You planning to vert paint some grunge in there?
  • benj666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try adding some dirt and grime to the bricks make them feel used. Maybe add a graffiti decal on them or something ^_^ nice
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The brick texture looks like cork board. The bricks seem too perfect as well.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some great crits guys! Snader that list is great. I think an illegal snack/ candy bar.

As for vert painting, of course! I have yet to do it my self so I have some tutorials to watch covering that subject..

Thanks RexM Ill go back and try and get a more brick look.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Adding on to what everyone else is saying. I think the graffiti is too perfect, it's like Leonardo Da Vinci Painted it on there :p all joking aside, it seems like your on the right track, keep it up and take the changes to heart (which it seems you are)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Right now it's very simple dude, it's like something you could kick out in a day easy. I know it's a mini-scene but if you're making an alley way it shouldn't look like all the other alleyways out there and if it does make damn sure it looks better than the rest of them.

The brick-texture looks too clean I'd say. Depending on the feeling you want to convey you'd be better off making sure the brick-texture look good in all lighting conditions. IT's going to be the main thing people see, make sure it looks good.

You're going the right way with something not too damaged and grimey though, even though some damage and color variation could be good. You can always blend in another texture to make it look better and more varied but right now yours isn't that good. I feel like the whole thing needs more love and if you're going realistic Zbrush or proper photo-sourcing of textures would help Zbrush especially if you're going for something with tessellation in the end.

Have a looksie at the Crysis 2 Bricks

crysis2building7hp0.jpg
    pier_veggi_covered01.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1269272488000

Now get to it! go on! get!
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    The lighting is pretty boring try adding a mix of yellow and orange on some sort of lamp .
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks chris! Those DX11 bricks look awesome, when my new pc is built I'll have some tessellation on mine too. Sadly without access to Zbrush though I'll have to rely on photo sourcing for my bricks. This is what I have changed so far.

ACTJU.jpg
    c2kTO.jpg

Once I get this base brick texture looking good enough ill move on to a variation for mesh painting.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Your grout is the same color as your bricks, watch that, it looks like your bricks are getting lost.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good catch, I can't believe I missed that.
    7HNBA.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    yeah much better, now, your diffuse. It has too much information, try it only with basic colors instead of so much photo sourcing. it makes your texture look too blurry. leave that stuff for the spec, if any.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good but your specular map is too strong.From what I can see in the latest image it looks like you have some UV problems or its just the render?
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah there was some uv issues but there gone now. Toned down the photo overlays and leave the bumps all to the normal map.

dPVoy.jpg

I started a blockout out of the room behind one of the doors but then it dawned on me I have no idea what those rooms are called to look for reference. Would they just be a storage room?
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minor update, got some texture work done on the air conditioner, still needs some sort of company logo. Any crits for it before I more onto another prop?

71oUX.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Go from Big to Small, get yer composition right son! It's just a wall with a air-conditioner slapped on it. Figure out what to do with the rest of the scene, like I said before, if you're going to have an alleyway you need to make damn sure it's an awesome alleyway. Like you said in the first post, you need to have some kind of story here.

Bricks look better though and it's a quite nice air-conditioner as well :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir yes sir! Trust me I have a story ready and waiting, just not quite ready to show it yet.I just have a tendency to jump around a lot(bad habit I need to break)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well after building a new pc, graduating, attending a funeral and finally a huge storm that knocked out power for 2 days I have a update! The idea is to have a little hidden bar in the near future not unlike a lot of tiny bars in japan.

I want to have some nice blue light spilling into the street luring people to come and drink.

yYIJ3.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good so far :)

I think this scene would really benefit from being extended a bit further.
    Not too much, mind, but enough so that you can't see the edges of the environment from the camera.

Just something to give the impression that this is a small part of a larger world really.

Keep up the good work!
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Yeah totally agree, guess this is still fairly early in its stage. But yeah I would suggest that the outer are might be a carpark or something it doesnt strike me as an alley way ( whats the on the other side? But yeah maybe some steps on the left of the building which leads up an alleyway to the main road, which would have some neon signs, lamp posts, maybe some cameras, and in your lil bar have some screens with the camera views on, like they are watching out for something.

But yeah big improvement on the brick work, when it comes to it i would suggest pushing the spec a bit more :)
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    my 2 cents is that your normals are way TOO noisy. get rid of some of that noisiness in the normal maps, and make your spec maps help selling the bricks as well.

points id take into consideration:

1) making the normal maps a bit less noisy

2) working the spec maps a bit more, defining materials

3) having the diffuse maps only with flat colors + a little grunge

4) vert painting.

these alone would make our scene look awesome ^^