Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio- Ali Khalil

starfrogsplash
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
starfrogsplash polycounter lvl 6
hi guys

I wanted to get some critiques and feedback on my portfolio, (and stop lurking around which I tend to do)

here is the link
http://allykhalil.weebly.com/

I know a lot of people have said the same story, so sorry about this, but here it goes!
I graduated in 2010 and ever since then I have been building my portfolio and trying to break into games as a junior artist, whilst looking for jobs to support myself, 2 years later and not getting many replys which means I am simply not good enough to land a Junior position, so I am going to keep on trying to get better.

and here is what i am currently working on
http://allykhalil.weebly.com/work-in-progress-blog.html

I am really grateful for everyone's feedback

Replies

• Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive seen worse from people who were in junior positions, but that 2-3 years ago. With less and less places available due to downturn, competition is fierce, and as u have to work for a living it leaves less time to practice.

Website is clear and simple, i'm told most employers prefer that sort of thing.
    Perhaps some more high detail Zbrush sculpting, and throw some low poly in there?

(also, uni of derby '10, did u know matt syrett?)
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    I think there's too much stuffs on your portfolio. Nothing bad, but for a junior, people would prefer to have less works to show. So yeah, keep 5-6 of your very best works and impress them! :) Also, I would take out the WIP section, people don't like to see unfinished works. And this may be personal, but I prefer to have your real picture instead of a picture with a dog head, especially if you want to present yourself to professionals. Good luck! :D
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    Glad to see you posting Ali :) If you are going to embark on a new folio the less is more approach never hurts. Quality is preferred over quantity.

I'd even suggest auditing your current folio and cut it down to about 15 of your favourite images.

Even make a new folio at a different address to only showcase your environment art etc. Keep the current site for all your other work and WIPS. At least the environment art one will be more focused on attaining a junior position.
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you kindly for the replys

you guys are right i should cut it down..

i had a question should i put everything in one page i.e like a main page with images

or keep it as it is with fewer pieces?

also sorry about this but im not too sure on what i should scrap, theres probably alot in the prop section that i could cut out and maybe some high poly car componants, and the 'desert road' but im not too sure about the others?
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ive gotten rid of weaker items in my portfolio

so now cracking on with more portfolio work

progress5.jpg

started to import everything into UDK

still got loads of meshes to import

its coming along
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    First of all, Greetings salutations and welcome to the Polycount;

Here you will find tips tricks and crits to fine tune your 2d / 3d art skills.

As for the critiques;

You got the grounds for it. You are able to provide the rendered model, your texturing and modeling is good, but its all on the basic level, it is not appealing to the viewer and there fore it isnt selling.

Looking to texturing the environment a bit more, add lights to your scenes and see if you can implement more details in your models without adding more geometry to them.

Good luck
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its still a work in progress got more to add to it yet
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    The Tiger tank on your portfolio is a bit strange: at first I saw it and thought "wow that is pretty inaccurate", but it seems that you are aware of the fact that it is some sort of movie prop from SPR ? I'd really recommend not to model these sort of things: do it properly, model the real one instead of some inaccurate clone.
    I'd drop it from your website tbh..
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress7.jpg

heres a small update

make mini lion head pieces at the end of the trims
    -maybe make a sidewalk with the lampost and street sign like the image
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres my progress with the building

progress12.jpg

still got more stuff to fix i think

like the stairs looking too tall
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    The building looks so much better now! Is it real-time or render?
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The building looks so much better now! Is it real-time or render?

Thank you, i was actually thinking that i am messing this up, but im glad im in the right track

its in udk :) so its real time :)

need to change the skydome i think
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress15.jpg

here an update still more things to tweak but its coming along slowly

any feedback would be kindly appreciated
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress16.jpg

made the arches more smoother

and added some slight dirt on the tillable stucco

any comments or suggestions would be kindly appreciated in making this piece better
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tweaked lighting some more

final.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Fantastic job and it's came along way from your first image.

Just a couple of suggestions from me though. I would grunge/dirty up the lower building since this is where all the rubbish, dirt and water clings and collects to the building. Plus it will feel more ground in the scene.

Also I would be maybe add more signs to the scene (similar to the source image you are working from), as well as power/telephone cables to push it that further!

Good Luck!
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    This is coming along, you should work on your window textures get some more variations so there are different interest points dotted around. Some blinds open, some close, some subtle faint details so that you can just about make out table tops, potted plants etc. Then work on your shaders to get the right amount of reflections.

Add some dirt and grime where they would collect naturally but don't over do it.

Having looked at the ref photo you are basing this on I would include how there is elevation in the roads and pavement and how the building conforms to this. Details like this makes a big difference.
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final-paint%20over.jpg

finalpaintover.jpg

Hi guys i did a quick little photoshop of what needs to be added

anyone else have any suggesstions?

also just doing some zbrush stuff inspired from gow
    presentationh.png

and started to work on my next piece just created a blockout, really need to refine the proportions first before I go any further

ffxiv20conceptart21024x.jpg

ThtvC.jpg

created a tillable wood texture, the panels need to be longer I reckon

aGTRy.jpg
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You forgot to post the texture .... PS the new site layout is simple and good. I need to remake mine ..... again ...
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MjO9d.jpg

here you are :), Thank you!
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lighter area in the texture will likely repeat a lot. Wait until it's on the model before adjusting. I'd imagine the spec map would be darker for wood. If you use UDK consider using all channels of a greyscale map for different things such as variation maps and masks, more efficient.
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    I like it, the site reads well, it loads quickly and your work is definitely good enough to enter the industry, but it is harder now with peeps holding down their positions as long as they can. With that said;

- Your first piece is definitely your strongest and it shows, you should definitely add wires and flat shaded pics as well. You're aiming for a junior position, so this is critical to show.
    - Also maybe my monitors are too big (doubt it :)) but you need some higher res pics, I can barely make out some details in your first image (which doesn't have a name)
    - Name your pieces so when employers want to reference something, they won't sound uneducated by saying (I really like that green image of the Subway?) know what I mean?
    - One small note on the About Me page, the color and thickness of the font makes it tough to read, make it white for sure and use the same font you used for the "ali_khalil_cv.pdf" text
    - Finally and probably should've been first, but you're an environmental artist, are any of these in engine shots? UDK/CryEngine e.t.c are free to use you must show that you understand them and can hit the ground running. Everything looks pretty in Max/Maya ;)

Hope this doesn't sound too preachy, but you do have a shot, and peeps here will help with that for sure.
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Anthony, I will def keep that in mind when it comes to applying the textures in USK

Hey lildragon

I have made the changes :)

http://allykhalil.weebly.com/
  • lildragn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Much better! And now I know at a glance you use UDK and if I were a recruiter for environments that would pique my interest :)
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for helping me :)
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress3.jpg

creating a high poly piece for my portfolio

still not done with teh sculpt going to alter the folds so its not all repeated and maybe add some slight damage,

but yea not not with teh sculpt, needs more polish :)

any suggestions or feedback would be really nice in order to get this piece to a decent standard
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress6.jpg

heres an update

let me know what you guys think
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress7-1.jpg

redid the damage after observing reference relevant to the piece
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    I'm diggin that couch!
  • djgardner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumping this thread.
    You should consider re-doing the spec map on your artillery cannon. The tires are just as bright as the metal pieces.
    I'd also like to see some more breakdowns of your Private Ryan scene. You showcased small props... I'd like to see a breakdown of a building, and the tank.
    Also some of your images load slow, not sure if you interlaced any of them.
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ djgardner yep ill change it :) actually i made the bloom way to high, I did have the breakdown of the tank, but was told to remove it as the tank was based off the movie version and not the real one,

btw here is the high poly for the sofa

created the flower piece in maya with some zbrush

sofarender-1.jpg

and here is the sofa, need to add some interest on the sides looking really plain at the moment, im going to make the side piece wooden hence the wooden deco, but I reckon some wooden panels to help break up the emptiness, and dial down the 'wrinkles' on the cushions,

sofarender-2.png

right now im off to bed got work in the morning :P
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, been at this again all day :P

made more adjustments with the high poly sofa

and added in a 3 point light set up in zbrush

light caps is soo much fun :)

sofarender2.png
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    painting_2_zps6aab5c02.png

started to polypaint the sofa, it doesnt seem like theres a way to adjust the hue or saturation, once the object is polypainted or maybe ive missed it but i cant seem to find an option, so ill have to tweak it in photoshop, Aswell as adding detail like dirt and grime etc

its just the diffuse at the moment going to bake the AO, cavity and normal map from the high poly,

its coming along,

just tried a quick adjustment in photoshop to see how it looks with a bit more 'pop' in the colour

painting_21_zpse73e0a03.png
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new render of the high poly

sofarender3_zpsddd3e995.png

starting texturing the low poly soon
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is the AO and normal map bake,

AO is too strong will need adjusting

bake_zps1262f36c.jpg
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the coloured pic of the couch.
    Any possibility of adding a texture overlay of leather over it, just for some extra detail.
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Ravanna most def, but that is just the high poly with just polypainting, will be doing the texture overlay once i begin texturing in photoshop :) still got a long way to go :)
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, after a lot of tweaking I have some results

12_zps5ad28ed8.jpg

screenshot10_zpsac25db93.jpg

screenshot2_zps5acc96af.jpg
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking solid, it could do with increased specular values but also gloss to tighten up the highlights similar to this reference:

http://www.saxonleather.co.uk/images/winchester-2006-2.jpg

What's this game res versions polycount ? The flat edge on top would look great with subtle modelling to highlight the bulges.
  • starfrogsplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Ant :)

i think that's an older image, i increased the spec and gloss

on this version

13_zps1fe4ad66.jpg

the poly-count right now is 1,300 tris, but what you suggested will deff help make it better,

also I do not know if this was correct to do? , I did not model the back as this will be against the wall and it saves UV space,