Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beretta M9

Hey everyone,

This is a Beretta that I modeled today and I am hoping for some feedback. A potential employer wants to see my ability to model a realistic gun. Not finished with all of the details yet, but will be adding those details tonight and the low poly, plus textures tomorrow.

M9-Berretta.jpg

Replies

• Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did one recently myself, same model. How long did it take you?
    Any more screens of close ups?
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Up to the point I posted it was about 8 hours or modeling. 2 hours finding good references. I will definitely post more later tonight.
  • DudeinCA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool. cant wait to see the LP wires (so i can learn, lol)
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    always get it in my head that im going to model a gun...till i see someone else model a gun - then i think of something else to do :P
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I know almost nothing about guns, but the first thing I noticed was that the trigger seemed a little thin. Looking at it and comparing it to this reference image, it looks like both the trigger and the trigger guard might be a little too thin width ways (though this could just be the perspective in your image throwing it off, the gray at the bottom tip of the trigger blends right in to the background so it's hard to see). Also those screws might look better being inset a bit more, also as seen in the reference link.
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Managed to get the details in tonight. Here is what I got, the safety on the side of the gun (to the right) needs some work, having troubles finding a really good reference. Any feedback is much appreciated.

M9-Beretta-weapons.jpg
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen- I see what you are saying, I can definitely thicken those up and figure out a better way to inset the screw. As of right now, they are just floating geometry.

I will post the wires tomorrow, when my eyes are uncrossed. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DudeinCA: Here are the wires-couldn't get to the computer yesterday to post them. I haven't modeled the sights on the end of the gun. For the modeling I simply added a mesh smooth and tightened up the edge flow (which takes longer than anything else). Also, the screws still have the turbo smooth on them-oops!

gun-wires.jpg

Also, this is the bump map I created for the handle. I modeled out the diamond ridge texture and used a simply scanline render with a white material and then tossed the map in the bump slot of the gun material I used for the final render. I think it is a bit faster to create these repetitive textures in 3DS Max, rather than creating it from scratch in Photoshop. Low Poly coming soon!

Let me know what you think!

handle-bump.jpg
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05- Hey, I checked out your portfolio and your wireframes for the vehicles are very nice-nice work. About how long did it take you to model out that Lamborghini?
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the wireframe progress. I still have to account for all the extra attachments and it is still pretty messy. Any suggestions are always welcome. I don't actually know the typical polycount for a handgun in a game. This one is currently at 823 polys, which I am assuming is too high. Any number I should be shooting for (next-gen count)?

wireframe-finished.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    While not very experienced, I would say that 823 isn't high at all, depending on the context the weapon is used in. If it's just a prop, it'd be too high. If it's going to be seen a lot, quite close to the camera, from many angles etc, you'd want more detail on it. You'd probably be better off spending the time considering how you'd optimise the UV's, textures, etc. Take anything I saw with a grain of salt though :P
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek-Thank you for the feedback! I definitely want this to be a weapon for close-ups, so I will keep heading in the direction it is going. I will be finishing up the low poly tonight, hopefully. Thanks again!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    maybe the area where the screw it located on the handle could be optimized better for low poly, let the normal map take care of the screw and really all you need to focus on is the little cut out of the screw on the handle part (hope that makes sense) considering in game the players hand would cover this area anyways or it would be in a holster etc

also the hammer i believe its called could do with a few less edge loops, if the loops don't contribute to the overall silhouette much then you can most likely ditch them... ohhh and i recommend posting tri counts instead of poly (quad) counts

looks good and i hope you make some solid progress on it tonight : )

edit: forgot about your question, the lambo was my first vehicle model ever and i did it at school when i was juggling several projects and models so i cant really say to be honest
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a bit of time before work to add to the low poly, so here is a post of the pieces that are closest to finished. Sorry, I just did a print screen so the quality is low but I will render out some nice wireframes (the right way) once I get this part finished. Right now the Tri count is 1996 (Thanks CandyStripe05!) I still need to optimize a lot of the topology in the really small areas but please point out anything if it is not looking right. Alright, off to work I go!

wireframe-2.jpg
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your modeling is good but there's some moving part that you merged into the object. Those moving parts have to be animated if its a firt person gun.
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkStar-Yep, there are definitely parts merged:trigger and the upper piece. I will be detaching that once I get the sillouette down, so looks like a real gun, rather than a movie prop. haha. :)
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the disappearing act over the weekend everyone! I have been working diligently on this in-game weapon. I will be posting more progress tonight (texture maps, maybe a turnaround)-can't do it from work but for your convenience, here is the link to the work in progress on my website:

http://williampointer.carbonmade.com/projects/2269890#2

I feel like I have a long way to go. My texture is pretty flat/bland and I haven’t worked out the kinks with the specular map (the material has too much of a matte finish for my liking). Also, quickly threw together the lighting for it (sorry).

Definitely want feedback on this one, so please let me know what you would improve. I have all day to think about it before continuing with it tonight!
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so here is what I have-threw a much nicer background together for it (thanks for mentioning to state tri count) and added some more damage to the handle and the edges. Feedback is absolutely welcome!

Beretta-M9-for-polycount.jpg
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for not posting the diff/spec/norm maps. I will post them tonight!
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the maps-I am working on the gloss map so I can render this thing with either a Xoluil shader in Max or in UDK (so it doesn't look completely like a matte finish). Not sure which one employers prefer but I am used to simply rendering these things out with Mental Ray(probably UDK?).

I have looked at a few gloss maps and I believe I get it, but any suggestions from anyone that has created one is much appreciated!

mapslow.jpg
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (for odium:))Well thank you spambot, I appreciate it!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha, replying to spam bots...

Ok, your diffuse is really monotone right now, and the spec map is as well. Thats not so much a spec map, more a copy paste of the diffuse wit hno colour? Which is actually wrong, because you should really be using colour spec in 2012.
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odium:Yep, you are right. I was playing around with the spec (with color) using the Xoluil shader and it was too blue but I wanted to post my maps as promised so I quickly desaturated my diffuse and played with the levels. I shouldn't have included that spec you see here, but the actual one is more of a blue color. I'll work on the diffuse and make it more interesting. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    dont know much about guns but agree with odium! cant wait too see the finish. And good luck with the potential job!
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SamFisher84:Thanks! I won't be getting back to this project to finalize the whole thing for about a week but I will definitely come back and get these details as close to right, as I can.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    the grip looks a bit cloudy, and i think you need to work on defining your materials a bit better.
    check out this tutorial:

http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/index.php?pageid=racer445
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr-ace: Thanks for the link-this should really help me. I'll post an update once I have played around with that.
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have posted a lot of work on Polycount over the past few years, received critiques that have helped me grow as an artist, and it has finally paid off!!! I just accepted an offer from Play Mechanix as a Character Artist and I simply want to thank everyone that has taken the time to critique my work over the years, it has helped me immensely!!!
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    congrats dude! it's not often someone gets hired to work at an arcade developer, should be a lot of fun there.
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I can't wait to get started. I feel extremely fortunate! thanks for the awesome tutorials by the way; veeerrrry helpful.