Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylised Demon Character [WIP]

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
Time to start another folio piece!
Wanted to do something a little different to what i usually do. So i've decided to go with a slightly stylised type of character. After doodling some thumbs and playing about in zbrush i've come to a shape that im pretty happy with.

As far as the sculpting goes, i want to aim for something like this,
Darksiders Weapon sculpt by Orb:
demon_head.jpg

Here's my zsketch and a paint over of where i wanna go with it.
demonblockout.jpg

demonpaintover.jpg

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fleshing it out in dynamesh now. Would love to get some crits on silhouette / proportions at this stage please.
    demon3.jpg
  • mccartm6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what up mate,side profile of the head is a bit weak in comparison to the body. You have a powerful body but i think you need to flesh out the head a bit. have a look at buffalo and antelope skulls, they have fairly thick skulls due to the size of their horns.your dudes horns would never stay attached in that side profile. Just my 2 cents.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the fb martin, changed his head up in side view a bit.

More sculpt progress, bevels, bevels everywhere!

demonupdate1.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    hes coming along- I think you're missing out on some fun shape opportunities like the serratus muscles and his belly would be a nice place to addd some shape contrast by softening the shapes there-keep it up!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea i'm still unsure as to what i wanna do with the serratus for now, which is why that area is just a flat panel for now. Trying to figure out a nice medium between hard edges and smoothness. I definately want to keep the arm muscles very tight edged and the back muscles, but everwhere else would be nice to have some smooth parts going.

Been looking at some of Josh Singh's work, he pulls that off really nicely:
    oki_wip_5.jpg
    http://joshsinghblog.blogspot.co.uk/
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty another update, did some changes all over. Need to add in two teeth/tusks to go in the gaps in the lips i've sculpted.
    demonupdate2.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    last up for tonight, blocked in his loin cloth + buckle
    demonupdate3.jpg
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Giles, I like the character you have here. I've seen you posting various characters on the forum, and you obviously have some skill. Your characters have interesting ideas, cool detail, and are technically sound. But I feel like they all lack a bit in the basic form. This is the same problem that I struggle with, and oddly enough it was a paintover that Josh did on a character of mine that really helped me focus in on that problem.

With a little bit of tweaking to the basic form I think you could turn a good character into a great character. Without an appealing basic form all the detail in the world won't help it. Josh's image you posted is a perfect example. Very simple detail, very appealing form. Really study the shapes that make up the characters you like.

Here is a quick paintover I did to highlight some simple area's I think you could push it a bit more.

Demon_Paintover.jpg

Anyways, I hope it helps and doesn't come across the wrong way. Your one of the few people consistently posting work and I think with some honest critique you can really push things further. Goodluck!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey skylebones, thanks a lot for the PO. Really need to consider the form of things more often, its something i overlook every time i do something :/ I like the changes you made to him and i'l get another wip posted up today with them added.

- who let the bots in? *sigh*

edit - who deleted the bots? *wooo*
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added in the shape changes, looks way better to me. Also thinking of giving him some kind of wrist guards/shackles to break up the arm a bit. I'm leaning towards either 1 or 2, not too fond of the chains and i think 4 covers up too much of the arm muscles.
    demonupdate4.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another up on this, blocked some more stuff in. Think it might be time to start going over everything and detailing/sharpening it all up.

demonupdate5.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah, your piece has really improved after you listened to skylebones suggestions and the wrist brace is a cool addition.

Personally my only areas of concern is the lower back and that the legs have more detail that the rest of the body. I'd suggest toning them down a bit. As for the lower back I'd smooth out the lower selection and add an arch into the back to add a bit more to the silhouette.

As for your colour selection I cannot fault it. I'm loving it. Keep rockin' on with this one.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Di$array. The legs are still a complete mess which has been carved in with the damstandard brush - i need to decide what muscles/tendons to keep visable and then bevel/smooth them out like the rest of him. Looking at goat leg anatomy pics right now to try and figure it out.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    lol

Well I find the front and side of the thighs to be fine. Its just the lower section. As you pointed out the goat refs should be a major help. Looking forward to the next update.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    That's a good update. Love the wrist guards and the colors.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

Another update. Added some detailing to his belt and a few minor tweaks here and there. Looked at anatomy for a while last night and i can't find any muscles to remove from the bottom of the leg without it making the leg look like it can't function properly. I may have to leave it how it is or just scrap the muscles there completely and have it looking really smooth instead, thoughts?

demonupdate6.jpg
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like where this is going, very interesting character. Can't wait to see more!
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
    You have all these nice little wrinkles and such on the back of the character and nothing similar on the front. I think you can push the knuckles/fingers a little more. But good progress so far. diggin it.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex - thanks man, lots more to come!

Wretchedgoat - Thanks. The hands were heavily WIP still in previous pics, i've gone ahead and added some detail to them now though. Will probably add circular wrinkles to the knee's and give him funny curly nipples to balance the back and front out.
    demonupdatehands.jpg

demonupdate7.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided this guy is going to be some kind of magic user. Did a rough paint over to have an idea of what stuff to give him.
    demonpaintover2.jpg

And here's the start of his magic book. (hexgram symbol... the demon isn't jewish as my friend thought...)
    demonbook2.jpg

demonbook.jpg

And a few minor tweaks to him - curly nips!... and knees..
    demonupdate8.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Health and mana potions!
    mana.jpg

Also did a material test in marmoset. This is how i'm going to achieve a decent realtime glass effect. Obviously theres a bunch of tricks that can be done in UDK but i'd like to keep the rendering side of things in marmoset for this one.

potion%20shader.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    omgomgomgomgomg ogogogogog
  • Lavitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Looks awesome, love the polished/hardsurface look on organic models.
    I can picture carvings into his horns that are subtle, but enhance his magical look and maybe even add similar designs to his belt and bracers. Just loose suggestions that popped up.

Can't wait to see where you go with this guy!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Frell and Lavitz, I like the idea of carvings on his horns, i may look into that. One thing i am going to add is more white tribal paint on him, mainly on his stomach and upper back.

Anyway, i went ahead and made these potions, 500 tri's each is kinda heavy but i don't mind spending extra tri's for the glass effect. His staff and book will be on another texture sheet, and these are on their own 512x512.

demonpotions.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Looking cool. What I liked about your paint over was the seeming black hole in his belt...gives new meaning to 'the belly of the beast' ;)

Would be cool if it stayed that way and he devoured souls through the empty black hole in his belly or something.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the moment its kind of an engravement onto his brass buckle, i'm not sure if adding depth to it would make much sense, as it could only go so far before it intersected with the belly.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I think 1500 triangles for 3 potions on a full character is a bit much tbh. As for the texture, you said they are 512x512, why that big? The glass and liquid both have 0 texture to them so they should use barely and UV space at all, so that only leave the thread around the bottle neck and the cork and. Tbh I think 128x128 should be enough and even that might be a bit generous. I also think the black holes and black thread look a bit odd, they give me the feeling the textures are unfinished and the AO bake you're using didn't render those part properly.

You neither state if these are WIP or finished so I assumed they are finished.

Just wondering, but why'd you go with the hexagram when modeling a demon? I just Took a quick glance at the hexagram wiki and well:
    It symbolizes the nara-narayana, or perfect meditative state of balance achieved between Man and God, and if maintained, results in "moksha," or "nirvana" (release from the bounds of the earthly world and its material trappings).
    doesn't sound very demonic to me. Are you sure you weren't going for the pentagram? I know it's more of a cliche but it's because it's more connected to the whole magic/wicca/demon stuff.

Keep up the good work!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Meintevd WOW I need to research more, i just assumed the hexagram was the correct one - PENTAGRAM thats the one i need... lol. Will resculpt with new alpha. *feels stupid*

The potions were finished for now, with intent to go back to them after i get everything else lowpolyed - i agree the black holes are ugly, i'm going to saturate my AO bakes and bring down their opacity to fix that. The polycount is almost instantly halfed by removing the glass effect, if this were in an actual game i'd imagine some kind of fresnel shader could do the glass effect instead of geometry, but for the sake of a portfolio piece i'd like to keep the glass geo there, meaning that the polycount won't really shift dramaticly without losing silhouette (and the silhouette is almost too square already).
    Also - i'm not sure if anybody noticed, but because of the transparent glass you can see that the cork stops without actually going into the glass - it's just resting on top. Bit of an oversight on my part and i'm going to fix that too.

*note to self, research demon stuff before putting the wrong symbols on work

edit:

demonpotion2.jpg
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Yes cork and thread are a ton better now :)
    Also something I noticed in the last image is that the glass seems rather thin at the neck, I'd expect it to be around the same thickness as the rest of the body, but that's just a small thing.

As for the polycount you seem to have thought about it and have a good explanation why, and I guess it's always easier to take away than add later on :)
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea the glass is pretty thin there, a result of making the cork sit properly in the top of it - doubt it'll be recognisable in the final renders, but i'll see.

Fixed the stupid error on the book:
    bookfix.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added in his spell pouch - not sure if i want to keep the shoulder strap or make it clip onto his belt instead. Suggestions would be great.

demonbag.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty happy with the sculpt now, so i may start doing staff designs and retopoing him. If you have any crits on the sculpt now is the time to say so!! :P

demonupdate9.jpg

It spins!
    demongif.gif
  • terry1337
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really like it only the knuckles of the hands look a bit sagged out if i am saying it right.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Terry, the knuckles are meant to echo the style of the elbow, with circular folds instead of linear ones - do you feel its not working?

I lowpoly'd, baked and textured the book just now, not sure if i will keep the orange glow or replace it with blue to match the rest of his glowing stuff.. probably need to darken the inside of the lock too.
    demonbook3.JPG
  • terry1337
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i got the feeling it doesnt match it a bit it aint bit just feels a bit of. maybe thats just me awesome lowpoly;D
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacquechoi gave me some feedback on the material definition of my book and showed me this.
    Metal.jpg

Redid the spec all over and toned down the metal diffuse. Here's the final result :
    bookgiffinal.gif
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is random but checked out your portfolio and checked out your pilot character-AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Alex, glad you took the time to check it out!

Retopo done! He's at 12k tris including his bag. I may remove some loops after baking.

retopodemon.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baked him down, just got some base values in there for the spec and polypaint bake for diffuse at the moment.. let the texturing begin!

DemonWIP.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much done texturing him, just added some hue changes and gradients to him and painted in some extra highlights in places. Also made a little pedestal for him.

demonrenderwip.png

I started on a staff sculpt but in a moment of stupidity i closed zbrush without saving it >.> what a fool! So i'l have to start again - probably with a better design too...
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Staff added in

demon%20withstaff.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posed and finished!

DemonFinals_Beauty.png

DemonFinals_Turnaround.png

turn table video still to come.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I think the colored spec is way over saturated (opinion here) but it's a great looking piece. Could definitely see a supporting role character here.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys - here's the video upload, kinda crappy quality due to compression murdering it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWgbmc8vpe8
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
    fun character, the amount of glow is a bit much but this came out cool!