Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Civil War] Sukotto vs. Mezz vs. DmanD10 - Attack Animations

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
ANIMATION CIVIL WAR

Sukotto vs. Mezz vs. DmanD10

Well folks, we're having the first ever Animation Civil War! I noticed there were quite a few civil war threads popping up with characters, but none focusing on animations. That time has finally come!

In the nature of war, we're going to have the theme for this skirmish be ATTACK ANIMATIONS

Rules:

-This is a SINGLE character performing an attack of your choosing. This is NOT a fight so don't include more characters.

-The attack can be a cycling or non-cycling animation.

-Too keep it short and to encourage people to finish, please keep it around 10 seconds, though if you go over a little don't worry.

-Use whatever rig you want, whichever you are most comfortable with. If you want, you can rig your own existing model, though this war will only focus on animation.

-It can be an attack of any kind, using any weapon of your choosing, even bare hands and guns are acceptable.

-No poly limit for weapons or props, but don't waste all your time making a 20k poly sword with normal maps and everything.

-Final presentation is up to you. Characters and weapons can be textured if you want. Playblasts are okay but renders are even better!

Let's get ready to rumble!

Replies

• Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Sweeeeet let's do it!! :D

Almost the weekend, should have time, then it's time for WAR!!!
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome. I'll be watching this.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    What's the significance of "Sukotto vs. Mezz vs. DmanD10"? *shrug* Once summer hits I'll have time for this silliness. :D
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch wrote: »
    What's the significance of "Sukotto vs. Mezz vs. DmanD10"? *shrug* Once summer hits I'll have time for this silliness. :D

They're the people who are participating. Its not an open contest, just a friendly competition between a few animators
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Alright... going to get this party started with my thumbnail sketches I made on the subway/bus ride home today!

chicken_scratch.jpg

I'm thinking about having this scrawny little girl somersault into the scene, drop down just in front of a claymore, pick it up, swing it all the way around her and then up before swinging it down and smashing it into the ground.

Hope my very rough sketches make at least a little sense... next, onto the block out! :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    subscribed! Wish I had time to join in. Next time!
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like that will be fun Mezz though slightly irresponsible letting little girls play with weapons :P

Well, I'll be animating this guy by Three9. L11.png I'll hopefully be helping him on his game project animating his characters. I'll be killing two birds with one stone by getting acquainted with the lizard guy's rig as well as animating for this. Here's his thread to see his progress: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98961

Just going to do an attack with his carry a macuahitl, an Aztec wooden/obsidian sword. Just some sword swings, maybe a roar or something too. Here's a few little gestures just to get the feel of what I want gesture.png
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Don't think I've forgotten about this thread!! I just needed to find some time to get some work done on it after a busy week.

So! It's still super, super rough, but I wanted to throw something in here. The opening somersault still needs to be added and I have a lot of timing to work out, but any critiquing of my posing and general timing is appreciated:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imHxvNurWFE"]Sword Attack Animation (WIP - 01) - YouTube[/ame]

Your move next, Sukotto! :D
  • TurboHusky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TurboHusky polycounter lvl 10
    Posing's a bit bland, and the timing for the strike is too linear. Everything (Arms, legs, torso, hips) is spinning together at the same rate, which makes for a fairly dull looking movement.

Couple things to try:
    1. Twist up the body more, get the hips leading and dragging the sword behind. Then at the end when you strike, everything will be released under tension and you can get a more heavy-duty looking hit. (IRL telegraphing movement isn't advisable, but for entertainment puposes it just looks better.)
    2. More importantly, weight. There's not much weight transfer going on over the CoG. For a king hit you want your character to be leaning fully onto his target at the point of impact. Moving weight from leg to leg during the spin can also be used to either make the weapon look heavier or just to give your character a bit more energy. Right now it's pretty lethrgic.

Might pay to throw up your key poses for crits. Get those right and the rest becomes much easier.