Home General Discussion

Creative Artist vs. Production Artist

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
So I'm getting a little confused and worried. I just had a discussion with my Zbrush instructor (worked on many prestigious titles including Coraline) talking about the differences of the creative artist and the production artist.

To sum it up, he was making a point that it is potentially a dangerous course to present yourself as both a creative and production artist... someone that can design characters & environments as well as model and texture from them.

The reason for this, is the assumption that from someone of my approach may take production work the wrong way and try to redesign something and that an employer may ward off people like me.

He suggested against presenting both 2D and 3D work in my portfolio. I kind of feel that it's important to show that your a diversified artist, albeit focused.

I'd like to hear from anyone and everyone from all sides of the spectrum of how they feel about this. If even some HR or leads could shed light it would be immensely appreciated!

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I simply say I'm an environment artist. I'm not the most creative bastard in the world though. I can take a started idea and improve on it, but I have a hard time inventing shit up. It just doesn't stay in my head long enough to materialize properly.

As for the way you're describing a "creative artist" - that's essentially a concept artist, which is an entirely separate position anyways.

As for showing 2D and 3D work, I'd show mostly what you're best at. If you're awesome at both, show both. If one is weak, don't show it. It's that simple.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I would n't worry. Lots of folks I have worked with do their own concepts and then model and texture them. It's a great skill to have.
    I have seen so many concept guys who don't really think too much about how stuff will be built in 3d, so to have that knowledge of how a 2d image will translate in to 3d , is a great advantage in my book
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe it would also matter on the size of company that picks you up. It's widely believed that a smaller company will require a broader range of skill sets because they do not have the staff to support nit-picky specialization.

I believe a person's 2D abilities transferring over to 3D are quite important, not to mention how much experience a concept artist would have with digital painting and how much that would help your 3D texturing skills.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    last time I checked, it was a good thing to show you have a diverse skill set. Nothing wrong with showing off "creative" material as long as you also show you can get the job done when the job is to make a boring, realistic, un-stylized garbage can.

I'm not in any position to hire people at my job, but when I see good production work AND original/stylized/creative work in someone's portfolio (2d or 3d), it's a really good thing. It shows that this artist enjoys making art so much that he does it in his free time. People who fall into this category seem to be, on average, more willing to work overtime and improve their skills on their own initiative, because art is more than just a source of income for them. IMO.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'm a production artist. i have some creative freedom, but for the most part, it's sort of like a production line. You get a task, like a wheel barrow, and try to make it look realistic, while keeping it within poly budget and using tilers or whatever to make it efficient.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg wrote: »
    but when I see good production work AND original/stylized/creative work in someone's portfolio (2d or 3d), it's a really good thing. It shows that this artist enjoys making art so much that he does it in his free time. People who fall into this category seem to be, on average, more willing to work overtime and improve their skills on their own initiative, because art is more than just a source of income for them. IMO.

Quote for the Win! :):thumbup:
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I agree with that quote 100%.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a really good point. I would think employers would want to hire employees that are approaching their career choice in a step further by it also being their hobby.

It makes sense that these kinds of people would also continue to grow and develop and would in turn benefit the company by continuing to improve while employed.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Like we've talked about in the forums before... it's important to make clear in your portfolio what job you're aiming for. If they don't know whether you're an environment modeler or a character concept artist you're in trouble. You should be easy for them to categorize.

Once you've made your main skill set clear, showing that you are capable of a variety of things will be more enticing to smaller developers. They'll want more rounded artists. Where a big studio will want specialized artists who're really really good at their specific task.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1st, I'm disappointed this wasn't a link to a Thunderdome style deathmatch between two artists.

2nd, +1 to what everyone else already said. I think Tyler makes an especially good point. Clarity and then depth.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahahahaha... sorry to disappoint, Vig. Maybe you and I can duke it out in some Thunderdome matches when Borderlands comes out ;)

Sad thing is I want to get into the industry as a concept artist but that's probably not going to work out, considering most concept artists bounce around doing contract work so multi-year pros are hunting for the same jobs I would be.

3D would be the field to break into, but I still want to keep up my concept work.

This is why I was thinking it would be useful to be multifaceted:
    http://www.blizzard.com/us/jobopp/artist-concept-2d-wow.html

In this kind of posting, they're asking you to be a good concept artist, modeler, AND texture artist in both environments and characters. That is much more of a broad skillset than being a "Character artist" or "Environment artist."
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    I say your professor is dumb. only good things may come from having multiple skills. the "hey let me redesign your thing" is just a question of chain of command and following orders. doesnt make any sense, no one in his sane mind would restrain himself from hiring someone because he has too many skills. not in games at least...
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    If you want a job; specialize.
    If you want to have more fun; do whatever you want.
    If specializing on something is more fun than anything else; win.

oh, and some companies prefer people who are more diverse, so you can win there too, just fewer opportunities
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Here's how i'm approaching it:

Do i want to work for a company that approaches game design like you would a car?

If i wanted to work in a mind numbing factory i wouldn't have all these student loans piled up.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear you, crazyfingers :p

I think all you can really do is try your best at the things you enjoy and shoot for what you want to do.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah and I'm not trying to say that i wouldn't be ok with working at a company in just one role, that's how the business works (hell, used to do 60 hours weeks geo testing on QA). But to be discriminated against because you're a well rounded artist just sounds like bad company policy. You'd think a game company would want employees who have been able to master a range of disciplines and be versatile, this is a fast changing industry and demands compentent employees.

Though i suppose if you want to work at a really cool company, there's a good chance you'd have to pay your dues somewhere else.

Gah, who knows.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know, right? We will never KNOW all the answers. I feel like all we can do is make and educated guess and just make sure you don't lose yourself in the process ;)

Too bad we can't see the future and just prepare ourselves for it and make everything easy.

That wouldn't be very exciting, though ;p