Home General Discussion

Anyone here work in Germany?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
Was wondering what salaries are like? I have an interview with a company in Berlin for a Sr artist spot and i have no idea what to ak for salary wise.

Replies

• Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    what company, if i may ask?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    berlin not much but berlin is cheap as hell

senior artist for a company can only be yager or radonlabs, i'd rather think yager as they are a bit more opened for international guys.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Ich arbeite in Deutschland!

Depending on where you worked in the states, you can most likely expect a paycut. There aren't many studios in Germany, and as such, there is a glut of people wanting game jobs, and salaries are adjusted accordingly. I think I took something like a 25% paycut.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Isn't that just because tax is way higher in Europe ? I'm pretty sure tax is 25% more in Belgium compared to the US.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Well im looking for a ballpark range of what is acceptable,i have heard good things about this company and dont want to overshoot the salary i ask for.
    Ich arbeite in Deutschland!

Depending on where you worked in the states, you can most likely expect a paycut. There aren't many studios in Germany, and as such, there is a glut of people wanting game jobs, and salaries are adjusted accordingly. I think I took something like a 25% paycut.

Never worked in the states despite im the fact im American so its why i am clueless on a figure. Worked in Holland making euros but it was not legal so i have nothing to go on.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    differs quite a lot.
    many experienced german artists get a salary even a junior wouldn't accept somewhere else.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Well aint looking to break the bank or anything,mostly want enough to live comfortably in Berlin. Going mostly for the experience and to be able to stay with my Danish girlfriend.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Isn't that just because tax is way higher in Europe ? I'm pretty sure tax is 25% more in Belgium compared to the US.

I was talking about the flat number written in my contract.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salarys aint be the highest in the world but all contracts I've seen so far are around the same my sister earns as a midwife and alot of friends earn something simmilar as well. so while it's not going to make you a king it's enough to live and after all you're allowed to work freelance as well in most positions.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone else have a good salary range to ask for? Senior Artist
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    A million! Deutschmarks?

Since everyone in this thread seems to be saying the same thing and giving decent advice, I'd say - ask for what seems reasonable to you. You know the euro, right? You know how much you need to live comfortably per annum, I'd guess.

So give them a figure. If it's too high, they'll barter you down if they really want you. If it's not, then they get a good deal and you get to live comfortably. I'm not really sure why you're asking - I don't see many people (except some fresh out of university) asking around on public forums how much they should be charging for work. Especially for a senior position.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, no one is going to give an outright number, it's a firing offense in most contracts.

*edit*

What you should be doing, is cost of living research. How much are apartments, how much is transportation, how much is food. What is your level of living expendatures, do you go out to eat every night? How often do you vacation, is it local, or exotic? Then determine what you need monthly that you think your skill level would merit, and ask for that.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you really want an estimate number: I'd say €1250 netto per month (tax deducted, no clue what rates are in Germany) would be my minimum. But that would be me, as a junior so, I'm guessing €1500-1700 minimum for a senior. It's all a bit difficult to say however since I'm not from Germany, but I'm trying to make a reasonable estimate.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can live quite good with 1250 netto in berlin but yeah you should try to get a better cut xoliuls advice pretty much nails it
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Monthly Rent (where you'll be moving to) x 4 (you may need 4 times this each month [varies depending on things like regional expenses])x 12(months) = A starting point.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Xenobond wrote: »
    Monthly Rent (where you'll be moving to) x 4 (you may need 4 times this each month [varies depending on things like regional expenses])x 12(months) = A starting point.

That actually sounds pretty close.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Xoliul wrote: »
    If you really want an estimate number: I'd say €1250 netto per month (tax deducted, no clue what rates are in Germany) would be my minimum. But that would be me, as a junior so, I'm guessing €1500-1700 minimum for a senior. It's all a bit difficult to say however since I'm not from Germany, but I'm trying to make a reasonable estimate.
    Haha dude thats almost minimum wage man! Im not from Germany but Holland, and Id expect a senior to make at least 1700 a month here. I live near the border of Germany and Holland so I go there a lot. One thing I notice a lot is that there is a huge difference in wealth in Germany. Either youre wealthy or youre poor, there is no in-between.

JO420: I remember reading your blogs back when you lived in Holland. But now Im curious to why your former job here wasnt legal? Its not something youd expect from the game industry :P ANyway, good luck!
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    you should ask for 3000 - 4000 euros brutto a month
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwakkie: that's what I'm saying, 1700 min as a Sr. 3000 brutto pretty much equates to that I guess.
    Xeno: 4 times rent seems a bit much here in Europe, it's more along 3 times I think.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty sure netto means after taxes kwakkie. They are suggesting that you ask for a salary that would end up with 1250, or 1500-1700 in your pocket each month, not the full amount that taxes would then be deducted on. It's a way to give advice across countries with different tax amounts.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    1250 aint much for a senior here.
    if you start, and are in the 6 months trial period, your generally paid lesser, well at least i was.
    i´ve just started in 3d biz but earned more than 1250 netto a month, during that trial.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    I was also talking Netto. Most Junior Artists get around 1500€ netto here, so 1250€ netto seems pretty low to me. Youd probably earn the same working at mac Donalds :P

Then again, it is a different country, even though Germany and the Netherland are right next to eachother, the cost of living is a lot cheaper in Germany.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its not just another country its Berlin, Berlin is cheap as hell, not all areas but you can get quite a dicent flat for pretty low prices, some areas are getting more expensive, while others get better but stay in low prices, food is pretty cheap here too. Really considering what you pay Berlin is way cheaper then all other bigger german cities and definitely way cheaper then Amsterdam.
    I wouldn't want to live with anything below 2000 netto in Munich or Hamburg but in Berlin thats a really nice amount of money. Also it was said that 1250 is the absolute minimum to take not what he is supposed to take, of course he should aim higher.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    guys :D
    in germany you don't get a lot netto, because you pay lot's of taxes!
    3000 brutto is only 1800-1900 netto in germany..

also berlin is freaking cheap :D