Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game Engine Trailer

This is a trailer of a game engine I have been working for a couple of years now. I am not really an artist but more of a programmer; I thought that I would throw it out there anyways

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rhOmoam6Bg[/ame]

It has some neat features including deferred lighting and a huge procedural procedural environment. You can move around seamlessly between any number of earth sized planets.

I am trying to get in touch with some 3D artist in the Vancouver, BC area. Is there anyone around ?

J

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    any number of earth sized planets? that's pretty impressive :)

are you remaking Elite or Frontier? :D
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    why is the lighting so harsh and dark
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    After watching the clip it makes me think that such an engine would be awesome for a non-linear Giants: Citizen Kabuto type of game. Lots of potential play styles, shit to do, seems fun. Interesting work, hope you find an artist. Reminds me of 'Infinity'.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking solid. Nice work on atmosphere system. I love space and planet exploration stuff.

Only crit I have is pitch black shadows. Seems like some ambient light would help a lot.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    So you can actually fly from surface to space and around a planet? That would make a wicked space-sim!

The black shadows are really not suitable for a world with atmosphere though, you need some ambient light in there. For a moon enviro it works beautifully though.
  • Heart_Murmur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool, is the sun real then?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    This is really cool to see, definitely brings up thoughts of some awesome space exploration games...
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    yea great work man :D really impressed!
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    This is pretty awesome. I always wanted to try making an infinite space movement system. Do you know where I could find some documentation on that kind of stuff?
  • kickzombies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kickzombies polycounter lvl 17
    Thats great! A lot of potential there.

I live in Van but unfortunately not too skillful yet.
  • GugloPWN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is badass. What kind of game do you plan on making out of that?
  • jstier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the kind words! There is certainly still some work to be done here and there. As most have noticed, there is no ambient lighting yet at all. I just switched to deferred lighting and I guess the ambience got lost along the way. I will also add clouds soon and a few more screen space effects such as rain, fog and depth of field etc.

It's true that transition between the planets is completely seamless. It is actually at the point where you can walk an avatar into the back of a shuttle, take off and land on another planet or inside a station. Rudimentary rigid body physics works throughout the environment with different contexts for each planet, station or ship. Theoretically there is no limit on the number of planets either, as each is generated by a noise function up to a few meters in detail. All that is stored are the initial noise parameters. Eventually I am going to create a galaxy by distributing stars with solar systems in a galaxy like pattern. I believe they have already done something like that in Infinity.

I am definitely working towards a space-based MMO where you can be a character, vehicle or ship, but I haven’t defined the actual game dynamics, storyline, economics etc. Although the MMO is the end goal I have come to realize that this is a huge undertaking which is probably beyond my scope at this point. So, now I am thinking of a simpler game first, such as a racing game along the planet surface using different ships. Following that I have a team-based combat game in mind where the fighting occurs between the lower atmosphere and outer space. Depending on how it goes I might skip the race game and go straight to the combat game. I know these are big plans… But he, you have to start somewhere.

I you are interested you can find out more about the engine at www.geist3d.com including a download of the prototype used to make the trailer. You need pretty good graphics system though, which I image most of you have. The graphics engine also comes with an editor to import third party models, customize the planets, write scripts, shaders etc.

I am now seriously looking for artists/designers (not necessarily only in Vancouver) to actually develop a complete game. At this stage I have no money, so it would be some kind of revenue sharing if a game is published. I am also in the process of knocking on doors with publisher, developers and various funding organization here in BC. I do not have any experience with that but I know a few people in the gaming industry. We’ll see what happens.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is seriously awesome. With the lower atmosphere and outer space thing you were talking about, it sounds like it could be something akin to what Free Radical was going for with the Star Wars BattleFronts 3 game, with ground to space combat seamlessy. Nice work mate, I'll be keeping an eye on this.
  • dinfet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well color me impressed. I think you are off to a wonderful start and I hope you get a team together if that is what you really want. I would like to see a nice sci-fi story for this but that is me. How would this engine handle a bunch of geometry? Say a small town and some people/vehicles?
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really amazing. I would shit if you told me I don't have to use procedural planets, and that I could use just One planet, and that it could be about like size of a sphere-conformed san andreas :D

Deferred lighting, yay. Will you implement any AA? (not that I care about AA anymore, it's old excuse for small resolutions, but it still is cool to see at mid resolutions, and I'd be interested to hear how you'll go about it - they say you can't, but you can, and you probably know you can, maybe you've already done it, I don't know)
  • planaria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for ambient lighting have you considered trying to implement crysis' volumetric texture gi implementation? i am unsure if such a thing could scale to the size that your going for though.

have you thought about trying to introduce other procedural elements like thermal erosion, or adding a node based procedural terrain generator like in world machine or l3dt. I would love to see more interesting and varied terrain. right now the terrain comes off as too fractal.

this is not to say what you have done isnt totally amazing and awesome though, i have been keeping up on geist3d for a while now, im a bit of a fan and i hope you can fish up some talent here.

while im definately not the best, if you ever need any specific models i would love to give it a go.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, out of interest, at the very end of the video we can see a big orange planet (moon?) above the planet that the ship is leaving. Is that just an image on a billboard, or is it actually a whole procedural planet you could fly right across to? If the latter - awesome.

One thing I'd say after watching the videos again is you either need to increase the LOD distance on the planet surface generation, or you need to smooth out the pop between LOD sections - right now it's painfully obvious when flying along in the ship, that the engine is frantically trying to keep up with building the higher detail terrain.
    It was also very noticeable when the camera view switched rapidly and the terrain around the ship popped in, in stages. If there's a way to smooth that out, it'd probably make a good impression.

I would say at this stage, you're right, an MMO is too far to reach. Have you any experience with implementing networking code? Have you considered how you might divide up the galaxy in order to keep the data transfer to a minimum?

To me it seems like a simpler thing to go for here would be a singleplayer sim with purchaseable vehicles and trade routes, etc. Still a massive project however you look at it though.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    This is just stunning!
    Flying seemless to other planets sound cool at first but in the end it could be very boring when it takes years to get there! ;) Is there some kind of warp-drive planned? :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I am not really an artist but more of a programmer; I thought that I would throw it out there anyways
    a code artist you are, that kind of people are very welcome here as well. Nice engine cant wait to see progress steps
  • GugloPWN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't make your transition from planet to planet too seemless. Leaving a planet is serious business. I'd love to see a difference between atmospheric flight and space flight. Maybe make a distinction on planetary mass/composition (gas giants) and even work in stars/black holes, or is that a little too nerdy?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great Job Jstier! This is really amazing work!
    Have you considered just making a full package game engine, and simply marketing that alone? Not that you ideas for a game don't sound really cool, but like you said, making this game would be a huge undertaking, and I would hate to see such a really cool game engine not be put to good use.
  • jstier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How would this engine handle a bunch of geometry? Say a small town and some people/vehicles?

The editor supports 3DS and to some extent XSI file formats, but only the triangle mesh is imported. After that the GUI of the editor is used to add the textures, shaders, light sources, sounds etc. The models are then stored in the Geist3D internal format, either as a model or as a reusable object. The engine supports an instancing mechanism where you can assemble larger objects out of smaller ones. For example, the shuttle in the demo has two instances of the same engine. You can also put objects onto the planet surface or in obit. Collision detection works pretty much anywhere in the environment, and avatars can walk around inside buildings and ships. The high velocities still cause problems though in terms of missed collisions.
    have you thought about trying to introduce other procedural elements like thermal erosion, or adding a node based procedural terrain generator like in world machine or l3dt. I would love to see more interesting and varied terrain. right now the terrain comes off as too fractal.
    Yeah, I am not happy yet myself with the terrain. Since it is impossible to store all the data for a whole planet, a noise function is pretty much the only choice to generate the surface. That function is quite expensive and there are limits to how elaborate it can become. I am also thinking of mixing custom height fields in with the noise function in order to create some more interesting regions.
    Hmm, out of interest, at the very end of the video we can see a big orange planet (moon?) above the planet that the ship is leaving. Is that just an image on a billboard, or is it actually a whole procedural planet you could fly right across to? If the latter – awesome
    Yeah, that’s a whole planet, and you can fly right across to it. As you come closer it gets more and more detailed. The engine only ever tessellates what you looking at. So, if you are on the surface of the blue planet and you look straight up to the red planet, the terrain around you disappears almost completely and the corresponding terrain patches are reused to generate the red planet. That also causes the popping all over the place, which can probably still be reduced, but not completely eliminated.
    ;) Is there some kind of warp-drive planned?
    Definitely! There will be different engines for interstellar flight as well suborbital flights. I have also already implemented stargates.
  • jstier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say at this stage, you're right, an MMO is too far to reach. Have you any experience with implementing networking code? Have you considered how you might divide up the galaxy in order to keep the data transfer to a minimum?

Yes, I actually had a networked version earlier this year. It took a while to get client-side prediction working properly. I mainly tested it with a few characters and moveable boxes. At the end, the latency was hardly notiecable anymore and I am pretty confident that I could get it going for a team-based combat game.

I haven't thought about how to divide up the galaxy. Clearly, for an MMO that would have to happen somehow, but not so much for something smaller.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    something along the lines of Freelancer would be sweet ;)
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    Does anyone remember the old Dos game called Teminal Velocity?

terminal_velocity-2.gif

This engine looks like it would be a good choice for a remake :)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    oh yeah, I remember that game :D An engine like this opens up alot of possibilities :] (i'm a huge fan of space sims, hehe)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah very good call with TV :) awesome game
  • planaria