Home General Discussion

Will there ever be just one "Super Program"?

I've been reading up on the new features in Zbrush 3.5, and have looked through the never ending debates on which modeling programs to use, and I always wonder if it will ever get to a point where one program will incorporate everything an artist needs. (Modeling, sculpting, unwrapping, texturing, animating, lighting, etc.)

So what do you guys think? Will it ever reach the point where there will be one end-all be-all program that will be used by pretty much everyone? Or is this just a dumb question.

Replies

• MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I think we should all agree on one style of perspective camera control first. Anybody who disagrees with using F to focus in on objects is a fucker.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm not so sure that would be a good idea. You might end up with an unholy mess......a bit like blender.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I thought zbrush already tried to do everything.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    What's the meaning of life?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No. Autodesk owns the 3D world they have no reason to create one giant app to rule them all, they already do.

I'd kill someone if I had to animate in ZBrush. Same goes for lighting.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Mayaxsibrushboxderlodoshop
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    No. Autodesk owns the 3D world they have no reason to create one giant app to rule them all, they already rule them all. If they could do that, they wouldn't have bought up every app out there.
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    Mayaxsibrushboxderlodoshop

Autodesk Legion™
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    DKK wrote: »

No, no. That's the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.

Also, to answer the original question:

God, I hope not. Competition breeds innovation. Companies that aren't forced to innovate produce shitty products and tools. Shitty products and tools bring down the level of work that's possible in their given area.

I think that Autodesk is already on the verge of monopolizing the 3D modeling and animation market and that's why I'm glad that companies like Pixologic are making strides in new ways we can interact with software and 3D models.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    modo, in the near future!
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    MattQ86 wrote: »
    I think we should all agree on one style of perspective camera control first. Anybody who disagrees with using F to focus in on objects is a fucker.

Sorry, I'm a fucker then. I prefer alt+mmb click to frame up. Customization is the key to happiness. App makers who can't provide enough of that can drink my booty sweat (/hands autodesk a big ol can of it).
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Given the incredible diversity of human taste, as well as the competitive edge that comes from breaking away from the norm, I doubt this will ever happen. No matter how good any one program may be, sooner or later someone will decide that they would prefer something else. And if there is a demand in the market, some clever bastard is going to fill it, and line his pockets in the process. It's just how this works.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about programs that incorporate Zbrush, 3ds Max, and photoshop all into one, but not necessarily have a monopoly?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    sXe Seany wrote: »
    What about programs that incorporate Zbrush, 3ds Max, and photoshop all into one, but not necessarily have a monopoly?
    you just described blender perfectly :p
  • psychoticprankster
    Snowfly wrote: »

Blender has no photo editing features that are like photoshop if any what so ever and not everyone can afford Max and Maya, we just have to make do...
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

haha, really? I haven't used Blender since high school. And even then I modeled using boxes and spheres, ha. So I apologize for any ignorance on my part, it wasn't intentional.
  • 00Zero
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13

is blender any good now? I thought it was cursed like all other open source projects with a development team and userbase that has no idea about what professional level software requires?
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Sure, but probably not before we evolve some single unified political system, unified language, unified religion, and unified choice of beverage.

People like their Pepsi/Coke arguments too much in this industry.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    is blender any good now? I thought it was cursed like all other open source projects with a development team and userbase that has no idea about what professional level software requires?
    Wait just a while longer, it's going to have customisable hotkeys and a fancy new interface at the end of October and it'll get new mesh tools and ngons too at one point between now and 2011.

Anyway, as for one piece of master software, I doubt it. Even if only because a lot of people are pretty reluctant to actually switch software.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I can testify that blender is fully kicking ass in professional pipelines, and that it does not try to implement a shitamount of tools without any kind of idea going into it first.

small size people.
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gwot wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm a fucker then. I prefer alt+mmb click to frame up. Customization is the key to happiness. App makers who can't provide enough of that can drink my booty sweat (/hands autodesk a big ol can of it).

Wait, what package is that? That's not the default in modo, xsi, max, maya or silo.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    It's called 3D Studio Max. :poly136:
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Don't know about about that, but the new lightwave rewrite is looking tasty.

LightWave_CORE_vX2_Theme_Q3R1_Light.png

LightWave_CORE_vX2_Theme_Q3R1.png
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    DKK wrote: »

No no It's twenty fu-kin three!

I think zbrush is in the lead as far as all in one's go, at least when the new updates come out.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    perna wrote: »
    umm is that an app for artists or programmers?

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/core/

Looks like an app for modelers. Apparently the interface is designed with some Nokia OS? Supports CSS options and is fully customizable, things like that. I haven't read all of the crap on it yet.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I had a go on blender recently to convert some models.

I felt like I was using the operating controls of the large hadron collider.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    fuck the super program, just gimme something that isn't riddled with bugs, and has the basic functionalities for modeling and UVmapping, and with a nice minimalistic UI.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    You guys are too anti super program. Imagine how awesome it would be to model like you do in max, switch to sculpting it, unwrap the low res, and then just 3d paint or pull the texture out and flatten it and paint on top of that like you do in PS with your wacom. That would shave a lot of time off for me. All the switching around and exporting and saving and opening and closing is a bitch.

but yes, bug free programs first plz.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    true dejawolf, same here.
    But I couldnt hesitate of asking for a Software that would have the controls and workflow of Maya, the modeling pleasure of Silo, the amazing features in Zbrush, the easy to do Topogun, the viewport and windows of XSI in just ONE. Of course, impossible
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A app that does it all, is stable, loads in the blink of an eye and allows you to work any way you want? I'd hit that, but then again there are a lot of things I'd hit but will never even be in the same room as.

Again there is no motivation for anyone to put in that level of work.

I'd settle for each app being configurable to each others control scheme and universal features enforced.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote:
    I had a go on blender recently to convert some models. I felt like I was using the operating controls of the large hadron collider.
    If the LHC operating controls were anything like Maya/Max, all those doomsayings of it malfunctioning and causing black holes devouring the earth would probably have come true :p .
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yay made by a guy in Kansas city (who said we didn't have a cg industry?)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    You guys are too anti super program. Imagine how awesome it would be to model like you do in max, switch to sculpting it, unwrap the low res, and then just 3d paint or pull the texture out and flatten it and paint on top of that like you do in PS with your wacom.

The reason why some of the guys here keep mentioning Blender, is because you can do everything you just described in Blender, right now. Build your low-poly mesh, sculpt it out into a high-res mesh, unwrap your original low res mesh, create a texture, paint on that texture by painting directly to the 3D model in the 3D viewport, or just switch to image mode and paint directly on the texture, with the changes reflected in the 3D viewport. You can even render out your tangent normal map, and then apply it to your model for rendering. Hell, you can even rig and animate your model, and use it in Blender's built-in game engine. It even supports your wacom. Right now.

Now, the reason why it hasn't become a "super program" that everyone uses is because the program is simply not for everybody. This is why no "super program" has ever really emerged. There will always be dissenting opinions on usability, style, etc... Simply having a kick-ass feature set is not enough.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It may do those things, but it doesn't do them well or efficiently in a user friendly way. Check out the other apps, they can do those things also. It's just that there are other speciality apps that are much better.

It also seems like Blender puts features in long after they've been pioneered? Kind of hard to woo an audience away from their apps of choice when you show up late to the pot luck, don't bring anything new and double dip.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig, I'm not trying to argue that Blender IS the super program everyone is looking for. Clearly it's not, or else more people would be using it. (which is not the case) And do you really expect Blender to include everything and its dog? The program is produced by a non-commercial entity, and distributed for free. Of course it isn't going to focus on user-friendliness, it has no broad market dictating its feature set.

So yes, it can be used as a painting program. But it doesn't have the layers or filters most people expect from a a painting program, so most people don't use it for that. If they wanted to make its painting features comparable to the GIMP or Photoshop, they would have to spend years focusing on just that feature, and all of the other features would be put on hold. That isn't the direction that Blender community wants the program to go in, so they don't.

Blender isn't a commercial application, so it isn't really trying to woo anyone away. As long as they get a decent amount of donations every year, they don't give a damn what kind of sales or userbase other programs have. They don't sell the program, so they aren't really competing with commercial applications.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats an interesting thing you'd think Blender would have more unique things(apart from the interface). Everyone has total freedom to do whatever they want in it whatever way they want, and yet its features and the implementation of those features are a bit mundane.

I guess its the made by commity mentality, any idea to wild or unique is shouted down and normalized by the many voices.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a gross misrepresentation there, Calabi. A great deal of Blender's development happens in at the Foundation and all people keep in contact through IRC. Every two years, the Foundation gets a bunch of artists together in Amsterdam to make a short movie, with the programmers sitting mere meters away from the artists.

Elephant's Dream added "several new features such as an integrated node-based compositor, hair and fur rendering, rewritten animation system and render pipeline, and many workflow tweaks and upgrades were added into Blender especially for the project..
    Big Buck Bunny added "Improvements in hair and fur rendering, the particle system, UV mapping, shading, the render pipeline, constraints, and skinning. Also introduced during the project was approximate ambient occlusion."
    Durian, which is currently in production, is planned to improve particles and effects and increase the efficiency of sculpting.

This keeping in touch with the artists also allows the developers to find out what isn't working. There used to be a seperate Face Mode in the 3D window, for unwrapping use, but it was later merged with Edit Mode out of redundancy. Meanwhile, half of you guys are still stuck with a useless Edit Mesh. More impressively, 2.5 will be a complete recode to speed the whole thing up, make the UI more customisable, to add custom hotkeys (very custom! Maya and Max can't compete, from what I've seen so far) and easier scripting, as well as a ton of other features.

On top of that, it's very stable and bug-free. 2.49b just got released the other day, full of bug-fixes for problems nobody even ever had. I've only once found a real bug that I could replicate, but my version wasn't up-to-date and it had been fixed in the newer one.

If you're looking for software that adds halfassed stuff at random and then never looks back, you're more likely to find its authors in San Rafael, California than in Amsterdam.

Which isn't saying that Blender is the end-all-be-all software. It's hard to put a single quality label on it; sculpting and 3D painting aren't up to the levels of dedicated applications and its mesh editing tools are getting outdated. On the other hand, it has some fancy UV mapping tools (it introduced LSCM) and its Modifiers may be better implemented than Max's. It's not quite up there yet, but for every step that Autodesk's software makes, Blender takes a leap.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasnt denigrating Blender even though it may have sounded like that. I'm certainly going to use it when this new 2.5 rewrite is released.

I only make that assumption through general obsevations(maybe they are flawed), it need not even be a bad thing. Zbrush has a unique peculiar interface which turns off some new users from it. Blenders interface was not a product of design, but now it appears they are normallziing it to fit with a common image.

Its good software with solid functionality but I've seen peoples voices squashed when their idea does not fit with the commity's view. Which depending on the idea may be a good or bad thing.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    You guys are too anti super program. Imagine how awesome it would be to model like you do in max, switch to sculpting it, unwrap the low res, and then just 3d paint or pull the texture out and flatten it and paint on top of that like you do in PS with your wacom. That would shave a lot of time off for me. All the switching around and exporting and saving and opening and closing is a bitch.

but yes, bug free programs first plz.

What aesir described is basically what I meant by a "super program". But just to clear things up, I'm not for or against the idea. I was just was curious how everyone else felt about the idea. And it wasn't really a "should they or shouldn't they make a program like this", but rather, will it ever happen?

I was thinking of this because I was watching the Zbrush 3.5 videos and saw all the new hard surface modeling tools, which blew my mind. Up until now I have been devoted to 3ds Max when it comes to hard surface, but now I may have to rethink that.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I thought XSI was already a super program...
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Gwot wrote: »

So uhhh...you just keep those cans on hand at all times then?
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Plenty to go around. Want some? =]