Home General Discussion

Help me hate video games (for a minute)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
hey guys, i'm making a video for youtube on how awesome video games are from a psychological perspective. I want to outline some of the wonderful things they've given me.

I'd like to start the video off with some example of the "video games rot your brain" retoric that i've heard all so often throughout the years. trouble is, Now that I've started looking for it, I can't find it. Turns out the internet has become a-flame with anti-anit-video game attitudes.

can someone help? post something ridiculous about how video games are the devil. if you can find something about how they make you STUPID, and not just violent, that would be *awesome*

Replies

• ebagg
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
  • Krynn72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just look up any quote from Jack Thompson.

"You just watch. There is going to be a Columbine-times-10 incident, and everyone will finally get it. Either that, or some video gamer is going to go Columbine at some video game exec's expense or at E3, and then the industry will begin to realize that there is no place to hide, that it has trained a nation of Manchurian Children."

EDIT: Damn, was beaten to it.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha awesome! thanks guys.

YES. Jack Thompson is clearly the shit in this case.. But It would be nice if i could find something less about violence and more about how they generally make you STUPID...

I guess I'll take your advice and search through his quotes. I'm sure i'll find something somewhere.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    all glowing rectangles make me stupider I've decided.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah!

can i quote that?

Sweet! found a good oen from Jack Thomson:

"Video gaming is an escapist activity and you’re being exploited by these companies. It’s not healthy; I worry about someone who would play Grand Theft Auto for ten hours a day. It’s a masturbatory activity, and it would be better if people put down the controller and went outside."

edit: also--

"That's not the debate junior. That's a retail stat. You don't know the difference, huh? Gosh, I forgot. You're a gamer. You can't think for yourself. Sony and Microsoft and Take-Two have to do your cerebral stimulation for you."

edit: also --

"The Left Sides of Gamers' Brains Are Disabled as the Harvard, Indiana, and Michigan State University studies prove. You all ought to be more concerned about that. Duh.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Report: 90% Of Waking Hours Spent Staring At Glowing Rectangles

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/report_90_of_waking_hours_spent
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    headaches
    blurry vision
    loss of brain functionality
    achy back
    achy hands

all of which are side effects of alcohol and too much sex thus making them equally endurable

sorry i couldn't be of more help
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Firebert wrote: »
    h
    loss of brain functionality

gonna have to be verryyyy strongly against this one.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    basically you need to go history books and state that human kind is fucked up and is always searching for new ways of conflicting with each other.

yes im serious, applies to everything.
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My dad always said that they were "just a bunch of moving lights"

...one of these day's I'll let him know that movies are too :D

edit: Johny: I brought that up with people that bitched about violence when I worked at eb... told 'em would you rather use the colosseum for our bloody entertainment, or just let a computer quietly make it happen prettily before you ;D
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harvard studies. You know the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body and the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body. I use two hands to use my controller so how does one side of the brain shut down?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know about stupid, but certainly unproductive. Too many free games out there, or even worse, too easy to steal games.

The average gamer these days is becoming more and more hip to the idea of free entertainment. When entertainment's free, why work? Plenty of people out there sittin' on their butts playing free, stolen, or simply cheap video games.

Look at wow... 10 dollars a month and for some people, their only reason to live.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    QTE's make me stupid.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    video games detract people from real world problems and experiences

they over-stimulate your mind making you more susceptible to social programing

video games make your gentiles unattractive
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    John, it's not the violence alone that is the problem. My ex was a worried mother actually, anti video game. her biggest concern wasn't the violence, it was the fact that her kid didn't go outside an play with friends, and seemed to be always depressed. She was concerned with him being anti social and getting addicted to games. She would mention how video games stimulate the players brain and cause pleasure similar to how some drugs do and she was concerned that because of his depression he was addicted to them. I thought he was just a spoiled brat being a teen, but I do think some of her concerns do have merit.

So it's safe to say a lot of mother's are not just worried about the graphics being violent but about the combination of several factors like sleep deprivation, addiction and violence and how that affects the development of the child's brain.

Also one of her concerns is how video games don't stimulate the child's brain how books do. Maybe this has changed from the the time when i was in school but it was mentioned to me at one point that the human brain stops developing after a certain age, and reading was important because it helps the brain develop, the part that hold memory, etc.... Blah blah. You can look into that.

While I can relate to some of their concerns, I think some video games are for adults only and not for kids.I also feel some games push the limit to far. As for studies, people read shit and take it out of context way too easily. I think a lot of mothers in the ghetto would of loved to have their kids inside playing video games rather than going round the hood starting shit in gangs... The problem is most parents don't make enough money to properly take care of their kids. so they have to be at work all the time...In the other spectrum, families with too much money don't want to take care of their kids so they work all the time and give them want they want all the time so they don't have to deal with their bullshit. Then these kids kill everyone when they don't get their way. Now the problem with thinking this way is that it's false. video games might be a factor in peoples behavioral problem but there are other things that play a bigger role, but no one wants to talk about it. :D
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    As a longtime videogame player it's really hard NOT to hate them if you do go outside pretty much ever.

Yeah, they're enjoyable and inspirational and a good way to kill time, but how can you possibly say it isn't better to go outside? Or cook a good meal? Or play a sport? Or hang out with friends doing some kind of a real activity? Make a model airplane? Read a book (inactive entertainment sure, but at least widening your vocabulary or exposing you to new ideas or *something* videogames rarely manage)

building social skills, friendships, muscle, cardiovascular health, knowledge about real life situation, et all > sitting alone in a room playing gta for ten hours.

Not to say videogames are bad, but if you want to play devils advocate it's not like there's a lack of material to work with.
  • tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    Video games don't kill, guns kill.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

haha.

not if you get the fleshlight DoA peripheral buddy.

Sage -- completely agree 100%... I'm not really interested in the discussion of violent video games, and certainly little kids probably shouldn't be playing gory games.. but that's a case per case basis i imagine. Without a doubt, a ballanced lifestyle is important. there's no question that we get something positive from games -- that's all i'm interested in arguing here.. but they can't be all a kid does certainly.. everyone needs to go outside sometimes and meet people.

SupRoe -- disagree slightly, the only reason i'd agree is that i think that most video games are extremely simple and stupid. that being said, a good puzzle is sometimes as useful as a good book.. as it can open the mind up in different ways. again, it's all about a ballanced lifestyle.

half-way done my video... one more day's work i think. ugh. I'm not enjoying doing this honestly.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    all glowing rectangles make me stupider I've decided.

Fugin lmao! thanks!