Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Animation Portfolio

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
jPEG polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone. My name is Jimm "jPEG" Pegan and this is my animation portfolio and website. I am looking for a career as a character animator for games because I want to contribute to my favorite art form and source of entertainment until it is as accepted and respected as film, music, or dance. I have a couple game-oriented animations on my website, with many more in the works and planned for the future. I am interested in working with character artists to bring their characters to life and improving our portfolios.

I know this community is mostly comprised of modelers, but animation is just as much a part of "game art" as the models. :) So if you please, any critiques, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I understand this is a pretty rough time to be looking for work as a new artist, so that is why I'm turning to you gentlemen peers and professionals for guidance.

Replies

• madspacemarinemustdie
    Installing quicktime just for looking at the demo is not for everyone. Why create a barrier for those who are supposed to look at your website?

The animation looks nice though.
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's true about quicktime, but I have so no prob here.

You're animations are really nice and fluid, I especially like your wind up animations :)
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you planning on having a page to go with the ".animation" tab? Right now both it and the ".demo reel" download your demo reel.

Maybe do a gallery with further animations like you have for your artwork. You might embed the reel into the site as well.

Good animating indeed. Also nice job transitioning between your name and title directly into the animation. The use of text when presenting the art credits for your characters and such is nice too (where you have the three models and the text matches the perspective).
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I liked them. but wanted to see more somehow
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    i really love how you made your "valguard" seem so heavy with the run animation.
    nice job!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Some really good stuff in there for a game art portfolio. The dude with the shield was very solid all around.

I think your lip syncing could use work though, seems like she's just moving her mouth open when she speaks without much regard to the facial structure (but i don't know how limited that character's rig is).

The trick is to exaggerate and keyframe specific sounds. Mouth the lines to yourself, and see where your mouth moves the most and make note of how that facial pose is unique. Pose that and really emphasise the unique facial features it takes to make that noise then just play with the transitions.

Here's the rig we use at school, has great facial features: http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:nu83zWULym4J:www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/character_rigs/MooM-By-Ramtin-5067.html+moom+ramtin&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    hy, i have some suggestions, you could improve your work a bit,
    here´s what i´ve noticed from the quicktime:

0:12 when the creature reaches the ground with his left foot one frame the
    foot roates when it shoud have a contact-pose

0:15 left foot sliding, would probably be nicer when the foot stand still
    0:17-18 left foot slides a lot, better be pinned where it is
    0:19 hands sliding while anticipation, should be pinned to the ground

0:34 the right hand goes to the bomb and leaves to soon, either the hand should
    rest longer or that better be skipped imo
    0:38 hand wobble´s with no reason

the insect is fine :)
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    3 pieces?
    I'd like to see tons more..

I like the animation, you say youre going for a career as an animator in games.
    well, I dont think the animations in your reel fit into games - at all.
    good animations by themselves, but way too cartoonish for games I'd say. especially the first monster guy, with the stretching and the timing. feels very much like its more aimed at a cg movie and not a game.

Im not saying Im mr.animation and that you should bow before my might,
    but you may want to check out my 2006 reel on my youtube page..you might see a difference in animation style between my animations and yours.
    I take lots of inspiration from games, and love making animations that would fit into a game.
    whereas, your reel mostly looks like what I mentioned before, inspired and made for cg animation.
    but again, great animations :)

I also took a look at those 3 separate animations you had,
    the first two, the run and the idle. while super standard and not pushing anything, Id like to see more of that in your game animation reel! :)
    the guy floating up from the grave... mmmmyeah, I could see that on a similar character, in say World of Warcraft, with a bit different timing, and have him drop down onto the ground or something and get into a nice idle/ready pose, for the next AI script.
  • jPEG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jPEG polycounter lvl 7
    madspacemarinemustdie: While I don't think I agree to go so far as to say Quicktime is "creating a barrier" to that many industry people I'd be sharing my reel with, you do make a good point and I will most-likely be hosting my reel and embedding it from Vimeo from now on. I'll have the Quicktime version available for download. Thanks for your comment. :)

Zotter: Thanks. I'm glad you like 'em.

Krypteia: I'd originally had the .demo reel navigation button there to avoid comments like "why don't you have a link directly to your demo reel?" but since the demo reel is the first page a visitor will see, giving the page it's own navigation button is--like you suggested--redundant. I've gone ahead and deleted the superfluous button and I think it'll work out just as well. I really appreciate your perspective on that topic, which had indeed occurred to me earlier. :)

Ruz: Me too. Don't worry--there will be more soon enough!

d00kie: Thanks for the comment. :D

crazyfingers: You're right about the lipsync. It's definitely my weakest asset so far. Unfortunately, I realized too late how limited Andy's facial rig is (or was at the time?) and didn't have enough time to switch rigs. Thanks for the advice. The next time I do a lipsync, there will be much more "performance" than in this.

DerDude: Thanks so much for the detailed analysis of my assets. That's the kind of critique stuff I was looking for.

flow3d: You're absolutely right about my demo reel. For the sake of not making excuses for my work, I didn't explain that my demo reel is, indeed, not game-oriented. It is a culmination of my final few months of student work. As a student, I wasn't allowed to create a reel of game animations/cycles. The animation program I was just about to finish, had just split into film-oriented and game-oriented classes. Unfortunately, I was too far along to go and design my reel around game art. However, I am now working with a mod team and doing some animations for them. Once I get some quality work done and get the okay to post it, I'll have a more varied library of animations to show off. But thank you for your honest opinion. I have looked at the animations on your YouTube channel and was really impressed. That is just the kind of collection of work I'd like to have to show soon.

--

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I really appreciate your comments and suggestions. Keep them coming! :)
  • mLink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    Definitely left me wanting to see more.
    I really like the first two animations on your reel, but the lip-sync felt floaty and soft compared to the others. The girl's right hand especially, it just kind of waved around slowly.
    Great anticipation and arced movements on all the animations though.
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    no problemo buddy
  • Art-Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry too much about the "want to see more" comments. That's actually a good thing, making them want to see more, it increases odds you will be contacted. If you have a few quality pieces, it's better than a bunch of washed down pieces. I think you're ok as-is, just keep working on more quality stuff while you wait.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's solid, awesome work.

I wouldn't worry too much about having more cinematic than cycles at this point the cycles you have are solid. It seems more and more places are looking for people that can blend cinematics with real time. Really if people think about it even those cinematic scenes have animation that can by cycled. It's a cool way to show off that you can do cycles but you're not forcing the viewer to sit through more loops.

I'm sure the rigs you where using for those scenes where more robust than what is allowed in realtime but I'm confident that given what you've shown you'll be up to the task.

I also don't understand the comments against quicktime, its good you switched to a wider available format but really anyone reviewing animation portfolios is going to have quicktime installed and probably ask for formats that play in quicktime. It would be like asking for model submissions and complaining about getting things in .obj format. It's pretty widely accepted for animation review and critque.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I am definitely not a great animator but this is great work. Like every other, I end up wanting to see more of your animations after that reel.

It's a very good thing that people want to see more I guess, better chance to get contacts like Art-Machine said.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Vig wrote: »
    I also don't understand the comments against quicktime, its good you switched to a wider available format but really anyone reviewing animation portfolios is going to have quicktime installed and probably ask for formats that play in quicktime. It would be like asking for model submissions and complaining about getting things in .obj format. It's pretty widely accepted for animation review and critque.

I'm a bit confused about this as well. Quicktime seems to be the standard when it comes to displaying work in animation portfolios because it allows you a lot of control on both ends. You can save at relatively high quality and viewers can frame-by-frame through it without having to worry about the program locking up. I've never seen a Flash viewer that would let you frame step and wouldn't puke all over itself when you tried to jump to random places on the timeline like you can with Quicktime. I've also never had Quicktime murder my browser as consistently as Flash video seems to, and that's on several different computers at home, work and school.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about this as well. Quicktime seems to be the standard when it comes to displaying work in animation portfolios because it allows you a lot of control on both ends. You can save at relatively high quality and viewers can frame-by-frame through it without having to worry about the program locking up. I've never seen a Flash viewer that would let you frame step and wouldn't puke all over itself when you tried to jump to random places on the timeline like you can with Quicktime. I've also never had Quicktime murder my browser as consistently as Flash video seems to, and that's on several different computers at home, work and school.

i don't know why this is even debatable or debated, or for that matter why one comment should discourage someone from using the quicktime format. Letting the viewer scrub back and forth is the single most important thing to presenting a showreel. Bloody well use quicktime.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Quicktime is pretty standard, it's not the 1998 anymore. LOL It's been over a decade, all macs should have it and I suspect all PCs at game studios do to. If you want something more standard try mpeg, but the scrubbing thing is pretty cool.

Nice work the reel vimeo version felt short. :D.
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice work man!!