Home Technical Talk

Workflow Poll: Tools vs. Actions

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Asthane polycounter lvl 18
A number of threads have come up recently regarding the various programs we use and I've been wondering just how happy most people are with their major packages. So I put it to you: Tool-based workflow or action-based?

A tool-based workflow refers to choosing a tool such as many programs' Insert/Create Polygon/Face tool, then using that tool to click on elements or in space to make the actual changes.

An action-based workflow refers to first selecting elements of a model, then triggering an action which acts on the selection.

Either workflow may or may not support post-action tweaking, the question at hand is the tool->select or select->action order.

[edit] Sorry for the confusion. The idea is to gague satisfaction with current programs, not categorize them. The poll options should be read as "the program I use is _____ based enough for me" or just "and I am satisfied/unsatisfied with it".

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    tool-based for precission and special cases. Usually bevel, chamfer, extrude, twist, turn, slide,... so most things that come with sliders/spinners or 2ndary drag action.

Anything else as much as possible action based because it is often faster and requires only a single keystroke. I have such actions for example for very common stuff like convert, flip, mirror, symmetry, merge,... they are usually actions that can be applied in general situations and come with context sensitive outcomes (i.e depending on the type of selection, the amount, the position, orientation,....). Its usually the actions that cut down the production time for me.

A nice blend between the 2 is the attempt of Silo using its sticky keys. It combines the 2 approaches and delivers the speediness of instant actions (just release the shortcut) and the precise control if needed (hold down the key and slide the mouse cursor).

What pissed me of with Maya from the times I tried it was that all or most actions were action based or just a single click and to adjust things one had to either undo the operation or change values in the property inspector. Very time consuming process imo.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Just so I can answer this poll properly, Asthane, can you tell me these two things:
    - Is Maya tool-based or action-based?
    - Is Max tool-based or action-based?

As far as I can tell, from your descriptions, these apps have both "tool based" and "action based" methods - so therefore none of your poll answers make sense?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    What the hell!
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    huh? I dont get it either... Some things are "tool based", some are "action based", I tend to go for whichever method works best for whatever task I'm doing, which changes depending on the task.

So for example if I wanted to insert an straight edge loop around a mesh, I would go for the "action based" method of selecting an edge ring and then connect.
    But if I wanted to cut some random cuts in the mesh then I would use the "tool based" method of cutting things up...

To be honest the differences between "tool based" or "action based" are irrelevant to me. The thought of separating methods based on these 2 categories had never occurred to me and seems useless to think about it :/
  • bejkon
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Post updated to clarify. I knew I should have gone with checkboxes...

As to whether it's important to differentiate, it makes a world of difference to me so that's why I ask. I see people comment about maya lacking 'interactive' tools and praising Modo which is cluttered with tools I'd never use (IE. Planar slice, slice tool etc.) and the only action-based slice I find is bogged down with a dialogue for tweaking it (cue Modo users telling me how to do it right).

So yeah, I obsess over UI stuff. I hate manipulators, like one-key move (ironically, they usually implement it as a tool, which does nothng for me) etc. Sometimes I get the urge to write a program to my specifications, so I'm curious which side most people fall on.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, what Per said. Some stuff just doesn't make sense (isn't efficient) to have as a tool or an action, and vice-versa.

Similarly, some stuff can be either a tool or an action depending on your current selection. For example, if you have no selection and use Extrude in Max, then you can click on any face and extrude it tool-like, but if you start with a selection then it behaves like an action and you can use options on it etc.

Whatever's fastest and most appropriate to the current situation is how I tend to work. I don't really know what the poll is for, so I'm not going to vote on it, since I think it would be misleading.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, where is the option for:
    "I prefer to use the fastest, quickest way to get it done efficiently and as precisely as possible?"

I could see this discussion making sense if we where talking about specific tools.
    - Would you like the cut tool to be tool or action based?
    - Would you like the insert loop function to be tool or action based?

Honestly since its so driven by what I need to do as opposed to what I prefer I would say give me both, make them both accessible and I'll probably love you for it.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    I can give an example based on instruments I'm developing, hoping it's right.

Topic: select edge ring/loop

Action based: clear current selection if needed, select an edge, then click [Ring] or [Loop] button, or shortcut and you get your selection

Tool based: activate tool, mouse click on an edge and drag. According to the drag direction, say toward a perpendicular or parallel edge, you get a ring or a loop selection on mouse release

In my opinion the tool based solution can give much more flexibility, as it doesn't require to have set previous specific edge selection, and allows addition to current selection, as well as subtraction upon a modifier key pressed, but this is a very particular case. On the other hand it can select only a Ring at once, but this lack can be quite balanced by the speed of point+drag, and is a less common task.

In general I think some tasks are better as Actions, in example Hide/Unhide, while other (mainly those which need an immediate feedback, or a preview) are better as Tools. Other cannot be anything but tools, like Cut. (Sorry for the obviousness)
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Never said you are forced to have one OR the the other. In example, I consider my custom instruments just an addition, so you got the standard one AND the other. It's up to you to pick what you like or need relative to every specific situation. I was just describing how a task can be performed via Action or Tool, nothing more, really.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    In Max, you can use most tools freehand or input based....sooo....it's both? Seriously i dont know any programs that dont do both for different things.

So, for what you really want to know...

Use Max if you're a Modeler, Use maya if you're an Animator

zBrush is better than Mudbox. the end.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Action-based. Or... whatever modo falls under.