Home General Discussion

f*****g hardware

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
man, did I step on someones grave. My eternal hard drive died this morning( only 2 months old)
My main work laptop died only 3 weeks ago.
I lost a fair bit of stuff, nothing reeeeallly important

I am thinking the only really safe way is to burn dvd 's every week or so.
Still I am a bit fucking annoyed

Replies

• TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Damn man that sucks... the bad luck must turn into something good for you soon!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah man, well at least you still have your warranty if it's only 2 months old.

I try to keep everything important in at least two places so if one dies then I've still got a back-up which has come in handy before when I had an ext HD die on me (never getting a western digital again!).
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah I did burn a dvd a while ago and have most of the important stuff like base meshes/textures backed up. It was stuff like reference and mp3's, but still really I don't need this stuff right now.
    yup it was a western digital:(
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    You just reminded me that I need to back up all my stuff.

Thanks.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah its such an important thing, but I am so lazy on this.
    A friend of a friend who runs an internet company didn't back up for 3 months and lo and behold he lost the lot.
    painful lesson to learn
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I find online backups to be the best option. It's unlikely that any reputable site, or your own site for that matter, is suddenly going to disappear and any decent storage solution is going to come with its own backups as well. Plus, you can get at your stuff anywhere you want. Even if your entire PC dies you can use a laptop, library, or workplace computer.

That said, the point of a backup is to be a second copy so having an online copy + a physical copy is what you should ideally be doing.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    too bad to hear you´ve got problems with your HW. I remember how I lost 3 monitors in like 6 months.
    As for backing up the files: I usually back-up the latest scenes/.ztl files I did during the day on usb every night before I go to bed. and when I have enough files on the hdd to fill a dvd I just burn it (CHECK THE DVD!!!), delete the burnt files from hdd and clean the usb.