Home General Discussion

Android OS + 3d tools = better?

I was just reading about the Android OS google is working on and though I know it's early in the works and not much out about it yet (I know I looked >.< ) I was wondering if anybody has heard anything about compatability with it. I figure google would take that into account, they make really solid and innovative programs IMO.

Anyway, I was wondering what that would mean for the compatability of 3D tools and the pipelines we use to bring them together. Also for things like directX 10 that only work on vista, would they have to make a different version and would we finally be able to have in viewport hi-detail rendering in max without needing vista?

Replies

• Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope.. As far as I know google os is some kind of linux distro, geared towards people using pc for internet, email, documents, spreadsheets and stuff.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it's Linux then Blender might be able to run on it. According to Autodesk Maya will run on Linux as well.

Interesting, I just did a search looks like Google has been pushing for Photoshop on Linux for a while now. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-9874297-39.html

So there you go.
  • Zotter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply you guy. Oh well I guess I'll keep dreamin' until then directx 9 it is :)
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Zotter wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply you guy. Oh well I guess I'll keep dreamin' until then directx 9 it is :)
    Given that this is Linux we're talking about, you'd be lucky to get even that. More likely they use OpenGL viewport drivers. There are windows emulators out there that can manage DirectX I know, so you might actually be better off without native programs...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    If its linux distro isn't too modified, like if they still keep X (which I kinda hope they dont since X IMO is very limiting for GUI front end developers). They should be able to run blender out of the box. There is also wine, wine is not a emulator, which does allow some 3d programs to run. Like certain versions of 3dmax IF they have been previously installed on a windows partition.

Also again, if X based, Gimp should work for paint tools. Though Gimps interface IMO leaves much to desire.

XSI had or still has a linux distro as well. Though I think it could only run on RPM based package systems (so no Ubuntu or such) confirm/deny?