Home General Discussion

"Flexible working hours"

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
I have seen this on several job postings from different companies for full-time positions.

Considering these postings are full-time, how exactly is your work schedule flexible?

Does that mean you can come in anywhere from 7am to 10am and leave after the respectable full day of work (8 to 10 hours)?

Replies

• Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Typically you have some set of "core hours" where everyone needs to be at work to facilitate meetings, etc (here they're 9:30-5:00, with 12:00-1:00 assumed to be lunch) and so you can arrive any time before the hours begin and leave any time after.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Aye. Here it's 10-5 as well. Might also mean they're really flexible with letting you come in late or leave during the day to do errands and appointments.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have pretty flexible work hours. Our core hours are 10am-3pm and that is pretty much so we can schedule meetings and count on a warm butt being in a seat bla bla bla. Everyone is expected to put in their 40hrs obviously no one works 10-3 but they are super flexible with appointments and junk. I'm just glad there isn't anyone that abuses it otherwise they would crack down on it.

I personally really like showing up at 5:30-6am. Not only do I avoid morning traffic but I get the most work done before everyone rolls in at 10am. I also beat traffic to the gym and on the ride home, I also get to spend a good chunk of time at home with the family before they all trundle off to bed.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Dang Vig, 6am? Are you the only one at the office at that time? And if you show up that early, do you leave at 3?

How do the hours in your, respective, studios change when its becoming closer and closer to crunch? (sry Haiai, not trying to hijack ;))
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm too drunk to post, my original post rambled on until it concluded with how my star wars d20 character was going to be included into the Old Republic mmo. You watch out for the new guys Rob, you tell 'em Jekkar Samso gets in the game.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for all the info guys, I guess I was pretty close on my assumption. My girlfriend's aunt work at Dreamworks and they have a similar system it seems.

I'm actually glad you brought that up brandoom, because that's another thing I wanted to know.

So when it does come to crunch times, what do the companies typically require?

And Justin, I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Either too much booze or too much awesome is present in your post :p
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i got flexible work hours. i can work whenever i feel like it, and go to sleep whenever i feel like too.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i got flexible work hours. i work from home, and pretty much work whenever i'm up for it.
    sometimes i wake up at 1am and work until day breaks.
    other times i start working at 8pm, and work all the way through the night.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    it all depends on the company, here it changes for different parts of development. Normal here is 11-4, last crunch was 10-6.