Home General Discussion

Shadow Complex

So it's out. Has anyone else on here played it?

I just got the MP5. So far it's a blast. Beautiful and fun game. I can't believe it was only $15.

Replies

• Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    almost finished 2nd playthrough, I love it.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I really, really want to play it, but I'm so against buying points cards... How much is it...?

EDIT: In points.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome game. They did a great job with the level design making a 2d game seem fairly open. Exploration was actually enjoyable and not tedious.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    odium wrote: »
    I really, really want to play it, but I'm so against buying points cards... How much is it...?

EDIT: In points.

It's 1200 points. I'm waiting until I actually have some money before I purchase the game :(
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    1200? And whats the cheapest card, 1700...? Pisses me off, why cant I just BUY the game :(
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Aw man, don't have an xbox360 and noone I know has one either :(
    I hope it's coming to PS3 or PC too.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Oh thats awesome, I never knew that.

Whats that translate as in real money, i.e. Pounts :p *searches*
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just buy the points on Xboxlive, then use the change to buy a cog uniform for your avatard
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Fantastic game so far. I just got the Carbine. I looooooooove that I can get headshots if I am sneaky enough.

Can you run through the game again a second time with all the stuff you acquired the first time through? How am I suppose to go back and get all the stuff I missed if I am so far in to the game?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    thought it was pretty awesome... god i hate the fucking cinematics.. wish it was just a game.. the mocap and voice acting is really bad.. and i dont care about the dumb story.. but its a blast to play and thats what counts..
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Agree arsh. The chick (Claire)'s eyes scare the hell out of me. And whats with the main dude? Did Drake just up and go on a date with some new chick who's gotten him in some trouble with a private, hidden, military? Seriously :(

Bald space marines and Gap commercial protagonists have got to go :(
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Bald space marines and Gap commercial protagonists have got to go"

Yeh, the main character is a Dbag. I'll bet he met the girl at "date rape night" at his frat house.

"Dad I don't want to be a ninja marine, yall! I want to get a communications degree and experiment with my sexuality!" total toolbag. And that shirt he wears! ugh!

In the first flashback he should have said, "I don't want to be a soldier. Soldiers are weak" and then he beats his father to death with a hammer and steals the mega-copter.

other than that it was pretty cool. Swimming is fun.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I've been looking for this on PartnerNet but it looks like its not there. Because it is a MS game?
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played the demo, really started to get into it when I had to purchase it :(

Just dropped 1200 on trials HD last week lol so will probably pick this up next week.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    adam wrote: »
    Fantastic game so far. I just got the Carbine. I looooooooove that I can get headshots if I am sneaky enough.

Can you run through the game again a second time with all the stuff you acquired the first time through? How am I suppose to go back and get all the stuff I missed if I am so far in to the game?

once you beat it, and start a new game, you only retain your levels. I beat it with about 96% of the items, and decided to try a new game but to find you gotta get everything again. Once you get to the last boss area, it saves it right before there. You can die and go back and find stuff... or be super sneaky and get out of that final area while the boss is active.

Ive beaten it once so far, workin on #2, and probably 3, 4, and 5 afterwards :) Must collect everything!!! ommggggg... must get the helmet!

was fun to do some stuff on for the week or two i worked on it too :)
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    booo for not being on PartnerNet. Douchebags.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    when that spider mech bust through the wall I shat my pants, then when it was all: want to continue? then buy it bitch-" there was no question in my mind. the game is well worth 20 bones/
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    moose wrote: »
    once you beat it, and start a new game, you only retain your levels. I beat it with about 96% of the items, and decided to try a new game but to find you gotta get everything again. Once you get to the last boss area, it saves it right before there. You can die and go back and find stuff... or be super sneaky and get out of that final area while the boss is active.

Ive beaten it once so far, workin on #2, and probably 3, 4, and 5 afterwards :) Must collect everything!!! ommggggg... must get the helmet!

Ah moose I didn't know you worked on it. Cool stuff :) I just got the
    mini jet-pack for double jumping
    . And am at the part where
    there's a HUGE spider mech on the back cliff wall who lines up a red laser @ you, then shoots rockets at that spot. You have to hit the water pipes to raise the water level.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    about 4 hours in, it's fucking fantastic. one of my favorites this gen.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    yep go it last night...great so far...totally agree about the cinematics...
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Just got it, although gonna have to wait til after work. :(
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    This game ate 4 hours of my life last night. Amazing game.
    Kinda wish I didn't play through all of the tutorials and challenge maps cause now I know about all of the ridiculously awesome power-ups before I actually find them in the missions. That fucking helmet is badass.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Guys, did Nate from Uncharted do the voice over for the guy that looks nothing at all like Nate from Uncharted and doesnt at all have an untucked dirty shirt on...?

Because he sounds a lot like him...
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    Oh and yeah I will mirror the sentiment about the douche bag main character's outfit. WTF belt buckle? Tuck in ALL of the shirt or none of it, plzkthx.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just got it today. I'm loving it...

The only problem I'm coming across is when I die, it respawns everyone that I killed before I got the checkpoint. So I often find myself walking through door... seeing a bunch of guys... and having the turret I used to kill them be on the other side of the room.

Overall I'm loving the game though.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    There are a few places where you can get stuck. I just had to exploit my way up a cliff face that you're clearly not supposed to be able to traverse because I got locked off from my objective.

Aside from that (and one or two other nasty ones that I've read about) it is indeed great.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got it on wednesday i believe.
    extremely fun, though i really hate the respawn thing talbot mentioned.

other than that, this game's epic. i especially love fighting the 'bosses'... though i guess they might be 'mini-bosses'.

i hope more like this keep comming =D!
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »

I didn't know that you worked on it until I saw you in the credits. Congrats man! Another sick game with your art.

I also noticed a multiplayer tester in the credits...
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Finished it's awesome, this is what metroid should have been instead of that 3d abomination. Only lame thing is I tried for the 100% items achievement and forgot to get the shotgun thing the second time through before triggering the part where the base is exploding and now I can't go back and get it. 99% items, WTF? Nice game design. Fail.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I disagree, the Metroid Prime series were amazing. The Metroid DS games were terrible, and I still hope we get a proper Metroid 2D style game on there...

I just beat Shadow Complex, 100%ed it too, finished on Level 21, so its gonna be a long hard road to level 50, even more so seeing as my next run through needs to have 13% of the items or less... Damn that will be tough...
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    very cool game, been playing a bit and thoroughly enjoying it. Thumbs up to anyone who worked on it.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I just read about Scott Orson Card's involvement in the making of the game, and the boycott (card is vehemently anti-same sex marriage, although shadow complex doesn't push any agenda of the sort). What do you guys think?

My stand towards same sex marriage is "'why not", but I've also been dying to play/make a next gen metroidvania and that trumps my principles in this case. :p
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought the propaganda was pretty heavy handed in "Shadow Complex." It's about a gay man who wants to be with other men, but is struggling to overcome his urges and do the right thing (beaver).

That's why he didn't want to join the army. It would have been too much temptation. He's putting his faith first and chasing poontang.

At least that's what I got out of it.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    so that's what the shadow complex is?
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeh, mormons are weird.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Man, I wish this game had multiplayer. Me and my 3 wives could totally play that together. Guess it's back to UNO.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    best 10 hours I have spent in an XBLA game, didn't care about the story. awesome gameplay!
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    If you were to boycott everything that had someone with a problem against same-sex marriage involved in the making it, you'd probably be dead in 3 days...

I wanted to buy it, but then I discovered I had 1100 MS points left... FUCK!:poly118:
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    ya, story and ending were bullshit, but gameplay & graphics were nice.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    So I beat Shadow Complex the other day and didn't get all the items so I went back and started playing right before I went to the final showdown.

Leveled up to 20 and got all the map revealed and found the last 2 keys I needed. Went and grabbed the helmet. Now my guy is like uber strong and it's awesome but there really isn't much left to do but find the last few items i'm missing.

Found all the gold too that let me get into a secret room that had all the guns available in a nice pristine gold plating. Ahhh killing in style.

I think i'm missing like 1 health upgrade and 1 or 2 other items.

Great game and well worth the money. Had a lot of fun with it. I seriously don't see what the "boycott" you guys talk about was in reference to. Maybe people look way too deep into things. I don't know.

Funny thing on the second time I beat it the main dudes hair shader was broken.

Sorry for the crappy pic. Taken with my cell phone.

shadowcomplex.jpg