Home Technical Talk

Camera Advice?

verybad
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
verybad polycounter lvl 17
Just wanted to see if anyone here has some good advice for buying a CHEAP but decent digital camera for gathering textures. Something I can build HDR images from for lighting, and good color accuracy. I'm poor however, and naturally that's gonna affect my purchases.

Ideally under $500.00 for camera and extras (tripod, etc) It would be nice if it is programmable to take multiple shots at different F-stops (ideally programmable from my computer, not some nutty system built on 3 buttons on a camera)

I'm not an expert photographer by any means, so a camera that is relatively simple would be good.

I know that's a lot to ask for my budget, but that's what I WANT :)

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Go for an older model of Canon EOS-series or Nikon D-series for a good affordable SLR camera. By going for either a Canon or Nikon you will have a very wide range of lenses to choose from if you desire to do so. Other brands don't have as many, nor do they usually have third party lenses to choose from either.

I'm very happy with my Canon EOS 400D (called Digital Rebel XTi in US), but there has been two newer versions since I bought my camera.

A good and thorough review site, http://www.dpreview.com/
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    You can find an older gen DigiRebel for under 500 with a kit lens. There is software out there that will control the camera ranging from $30~$70. The kit lens is fine, but not so good on fine detail at a certain frequency. You won't notice it till you see comparative shots.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I got a recertified Canon EOS digital rebel at www.adorama.com with a 28-55 lens for 250 bucks. Works great, who needs higher than 6 megapixels anyway? Go to the used equiptment section and check it out.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    perhaps the pentax k200 might fit your bill. the kit lens is one of the better ones out there and it has builtin shake reduction in camera. also, its a small body and you can get tack-sharp and tiny lenses for it without breaking the bank. 10 mpix resolution and its still rather simple to use.

also the pentax k-m is supposedly a nice and even lighter, smaller SLR.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like my nikon, so id say get a cheap d60 or what are they called these days :)

keep in mind that for textures, you probably want a wide angle lens,
    they dont come with the basic kit

so that is body + basic 50/70mm or something,
    or you need to go for a body and buy a seperate lens that goes to 20mm?