Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Leatherface model

Hello,

I am a big fan of the psycho-killer movie characters and I decide to model Leatherface from the 1974 movie The Texas Chainsaw Massacre as my first character.

Here is an image in the Unreal Editor:
3821966234_ab4d0f1fa2_o.jpg

For references I used pictures from internet and the movie itself (watching some parts many times).

It has 3 maps, diffusse, specular and normal and about 10.000 triangles.

Since is my first character i was focusing more in the technical part than in the artisctic part, so now, when i look at him, looks more like a normal guy with a leatherface costume rather than a psycho-killer
I have finished this project, I am not going to change it, but i would like to know some opinions and advices, so I can use them in my next character.

Some of my questions are:

1. Do you model the inside parts of a cloth, or do you use just 2 sided polygons? lets say for example in the shirt sleeves, where you can see a bit of the inside part, or the apron for example.

2. Do you use specular in the eyes? when i tried they become almost white when in front of a light.

3. Is better to higpolymodel the hair or to do it with alphas?

Thanks for reading the whole post!

Replies

• MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    This is only what I've gatherd from freinds/teachers/personal experience, don't take it as gospel, because I'm kinda dumb.

1.) The cloth issue depends on the rendering engine and poly limits. If you can get away with it and that's what you want to do, sure, go for it.

2.) I believe eyes have one specular value all around. Cases where people paint more spec onto the iris or something tend to turn out bad.

3.) Hair is often (at least with Unreal) done as a normal map sculpt that has alpha'd out hairs sticking out of it.

Perna_Baird16.jpg
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Great job for your first character! You've even taken on hair which is not any easy part of characters. You're perceptions of this character correct. So I expect your next one will be much improved.
    1. Do you model the inside parts of a cloth, or do you use just 2 sided polygons? lets say for example in the shirt sleeves, where you can see a bit of the inside part, or the apron for example.
    For the sleeves I would model inside a bit and terminate asap. This way the shirt won't feel paper thin. For the apron... this is a bit trickier. If he's animating in a game I would have go with 2 sided polygons. If you modeled both sides it would be a weighting disaster. If you're just posing it... I like the thickness of a modeled version.
    2. Do you use specular in the eyes? when i tried they become almost white when in front of a light.
    Some people model an eye in all it's detail with different layers that reflect differently. Personally I usually just cheat and make a couple well placed dots that catch light. Which is more realistic for 99% of actual games.
    3. Is better to higpolymodel the hair or to do it with alphas?
    Yes.
  • delavaca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!
    I will try your advices in my next character
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice work for your first character! really, i LOVE that movie, and modelling that character is in my todo list-)
    I'm sure, the next character will be much better, keep up!
  • UltimateTerror
    Cool model, can people use in in a game?