Home General Discussion

QuakeCon 2009 whos about?

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
Well its that time of year again....

Who's coming out to play/drink/mud wrestle at QuakeCon this year?

Im flying over from the not so sunny UK for the first time in 3 years since I last went...the year they made ET:QW playable was my last visit, 2006?

anyway, hope to meet some more of you inspiring folks and some familiar faces and generally relax and enjoy the unique atmosphere QuakeCon provides.

Also many thanks to Lear and Rawkstar for helping me out with the accommodation issue the last few weeks :).

John

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I'll probably check it out over the weekend, but Quakecon is pretty much just a big LAN now for the most part right..
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I'll probably be there on and off during the course of the event. It'll be my first Quakecon, too. I've wanted to go to Quakecon for the last 10 years, but Texas was always so far away.

We should set up some kind of polycount meetup, yes?
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    I'm going this year, also from the UK. Also meeting up with some friends out there though and making a bit of a holiday of it and escape the English summer (hi2u torrential rain today).
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be there on the weekend, If you want to do a PC meet up, I'm down! I signed up for the LAN party, but I'm no #1901 on the waiting list. Maybe I'll have my own LAN in the lobby on wireless :D
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I most likely won't be around saturday, but maybe thursday and friday.
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
  • Bronco
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome!..yep we should get a PC meet going, I know afew counters going that don't post so much so we should be able to get a group together.

The gaylord is one massive place, but a spectacular building,the first time I went to QuakeCon thats where it was held before the Hilton and yeah its awefully impressive, In previous years ive gone we have never managed to arrange a 'meet'...more a case of aimlessly walking around until someone reconises someone and they have seen someone esle etc and gradually a group comes together.

Dekard:- It is an LAN party but theres surprising number of people that go just for the atmosphere, hear the announcements from ID and others etc so its more than a standard LAN.
    Last time I went, I walked around the Gaming area once,walked around the stalls maybe twice...but most of my time was spent sat on the wooden decking at the Hilton relaxing and enjoying good company.

Add in 3 tier piggy back racing, a small number of drunken antics and certain Welsh man wrestling US Marines. then you have a good occasion :).

John
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I fuckin wish... :(
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    ROAD TRIP!
    http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a2505951fc72b00011fc7fe1a930014

For the first time, and possibly years later than optimal, yes I will be attending Quakecon.
    I haven't even come close to nailing down an itinerary but much of next week I'm dedicating to roadtripping to Texas, without even knowing it was the weekend of Quakecon, but obviously now I'll have to attend.

Definitely coming to Dallas, maybe Austin as well. Sky's the limit. We need to get this together.
  • Obike
    I'll be there... shenanigans will be had.
  • Bronco
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Obike.

Heard shaun coming down as well,will be cool to see you guys again :).

John
  • skankerzero
    all right, if Gauss makes it to Quakecon, I'll try and make it too.

It's so damned far though... :c
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be there as well, so yeah it's looking like we definetely need a PC meet up:). Looking forward to meeting a few new faces!

Spark
  • Obike
    Bronco wrote: »
    hey Obike.

Heard shaun coming down as well,will be cool to see you guys again :).

John

Yup. Let me PM you my cell #, so you can give me a call and get in touch w/ the both of us.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Quakecon schedule: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59897

I must be there for the Rage demo :D
  • Kovac
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like it'd be a lot of fun to attend... consider me jealous. It'd sure be nice to win that GT500 too :X
  • Mangled Poly
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Kovac wrote: »
    Looks like it'd be a lot of fun to attend... consider me jealous. It'd sure be nice to win that GT500 too :X

Kovac no one wants you there :p

I will be in and out during the day Thursday and Friday then off to Cologne for GDCE and Gamescon on Saturday.

Kovac I only Keed you going to be at GDCA at least?
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys since we're running out of time to coordinate this online, my number is 217.268.5411. I'll be meeting up with Slum early on Thursday but the rest of you we'll have to figure something out. Don't be afraid to give me a ring (and then identify yourself by your true, polycount name) :)

See you guys there. Hope you show, Skank!
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be around during the day Thursday and Friday, and I may drop by for the Rage demo Saturday.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be wearing the old school polycount shirt on Friday, I look scary but I'm really a kitten.
  • Bronco
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome!, ill probably be wearing the old school Pokey Count shirt faded of course for a couple of those days (making even harder for anyone to tell from the crowd)....probably switched to the new Qcon shirt by Saturday (if there is one) and look like one of the hordes as i'm there all 3 main days at least.

Sadly my Phone can't call US numbers it seems, the line just drops but I can still call the UK, which in this case doesn't help. But by then hopefully some of you other guys wont mind me tagging along to any potential Polycount meet you maybe having :).

On a side note Shaun McBride is working over at the Hi-Rez Studios booth, so make sure ya go say hi to him as well :).

tis gonna be a fun weekend!.

John
  • Quokimbo
    Do I have to register or anything? At the top of the Quakecon page, it says registration closed????

I want to attend just to see all the festivities...
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Nope, it's a free event. You only need to pre-register if you want to play in the BYOC (big-ass LAN). Otherwise you can walk in.
  • Quokimbo
    Slum wrote: »
    Nope, it's a free event. You only need to pre-register if you want to play in the BYOC (big-ass LAN). Otherwise you can walk in.

Awesome! I do not know what I will be wearing during the event, but if anyone wants to know, send me a PM...I will tell you ALL about it! Hahaha :poly142:
  • Snuggles
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    I'm a lameass lurker and I only know one of you, but hell, I'll be there. Meeting people is sweet.
  • skankerzero
    gauss wrote: »
    Hey guys since we're running out of time to coordinate this online, my number is 217.268.5411. I'll be meeting up with Slum early on Thursday but the rest of you we'll have to figure something out. Don't be afraid to give me a ring (and then identify yourself by your true, polycount name) :)

See you guys there. Hope you show, Skank!

phone number isnt working gauss!
    im here and dont know where to go.
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    oh nooo man I must have been tired, sorry about that Skanker. wrong phone number. no wonder I get no phonecalls. 217.369.5411. I'm finished for Thursday, having started a bit too early but I'll be there Friday and Saturday, hope you're still around.
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Carmack's keynote...

14901773.jpg

41139715.jpg

53861866.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Now thats what I call a real man!

Hope everyone is having fun!
  • skankerzero
    gauss wrote: »
    oh nooo man I must have been tired, sorry about that Skanker. wrong phone number. no wonder I get no phonecalls. 217.369.5411. I'm finished for Thursday, having started a bit too early but I'll be there Friday and Saturday, hope you're still around.

i'm sorry. i thought i was meeting Gauss at Quakecon, not his mother who goes to bed at 9pm. :p

The Gauss of legend could outdrink Ireland; snort coke off of two stripper's asses at the same time; won the great Steam War atop 2 bears while juggling axes all while mantaining his gentleman's moustache.

He most certainly didnt go to bed at 9pm.
  • Bronco
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Think a meet is slowly coming together.

Im still unable to call numbers annoyingly but Lear and myself will head back up to the Gaylord when ever he has recovered enough from the party (might be awhile :)).

Lear has afew numbers so we'll call round whenever we get back there.

Ryan (MangledPoly) i've spoken to who will be around the Gaylord from 1:30ish I believe, Obike is Volunteering and Shaun is over at Hi-Rez, again spoken too both those guys, slowly we're getting something together.

Obvious suggestion for a location would be the Sports bar in the Auditorium....seems to be where quite a few people are hanging out.....then maybe move on to quieter pastures (as it gets pretty noisey there).

Lets get this rolling!!.

John
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    i'll be there tonight and tomorrow.
    Jeremy (Dekard) 813-205-7914
  • Sandbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    I had a hard time not laughing when Todd Howard said that even though they started with a lot of bugs they reduced it to near perfection when it shipped...
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I am home now, but I'll be around during the Rage live demo tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get to meet everyone!
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard and I are sitting in C1 at the back of the room, to the left of the 2 projectors. I'll be here until 10ish, or until I pass out.

btw, Bawls Root Beer is amazing!
    bawlsrootbeer.jpg
  • Mangled Poly
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys was nice meeting up with some of you guys :) The party Thursday night was great fun and ended up getting a room so I did not have to try to find my way back home :p! Slummed around for a bit today to check out some more stuff but now I am back home packing up for Cologne!
  • skankerzero
    Caught up with Gauss and had a great night out!

I'll try and swing by tomorrow.
  • Quokimbo
    Hey all I am going to be there this evening...

Dekard, and Lee I will look for you...Mind if I give you a call when I get there?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Think I'm going to ditch today. Wife's got plans for me. I was going to come back for the Rage demo but think I'll skip it.
  • Bronco
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Lear and me will be around for the Rage demo.

Today my attire is actually the same as yesterday....(not the bear).....the blue/grey and Black knee length shorts and the old school Polycount T-shirt.

I look something like this:-

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7964/mebronco.jpg

im on the Right btw :).

John
  • Quokimbo
    Rage first public demo...

OM Mother Effing G!!! It was gorgeous!

Lee, I looked around for you, even went to table C1. Oh well...

P8080040.jpg

P8080044.jpg

Me and the wife went in early and sat, even though I do not think we were supposed to. :) But when they opened the doors, the masses came running! We already had our seats like 3 rows back :) I wanted a Rage shirt so bad, but I could not find where they were throwing them out for the life of me... :(
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Quokimbo: Sorry man, I was around on Saturday. We were near the arcade cabinet.

Met up with Lear, Bronco, Slum, Gauss, Dekard, Sean (at the Global Agenda Booth). BYOC was awesome! Having a laptop was a great idea, especially when the power outage struck. Got lots of t-shirts, no Rage or Quakecon t-shirts though :(. Seemed some people got really lucky and had tons of them and everyone else didn't get one. They were much harder to get this year.

Last night finally got more than 6 hours of sleep. See ya all at Quakecon 2010!
  • Bronco
    Offline / Send Message
    seconded!....It was Awesome to meet up with you all and put faces to the names.

Had a great time and even had a chance to see 'District 9' at the Cinema last night, amazing film. (yes Guass, Shaun and Obike that girl was Lears sister not someone attracted to ol British Accent....... sadly :) )

Quokimbo assuming you were middle section and you were 3 rows back you must have been sat right behind Gauss,Slum and Myself, and Lear was at the other end of the row.
    We were next to the open Zenimax reserved seats which no-one took.

The Demo was amazing, my bar of expectation is now on a flyer , just hope ID can keep it up and get the layers of polish down thats needed.

Was An amazing demo though,
  • Sandbag
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    I had a lot of fun hanging out with John/Bronco, Ben, Sean and the Hi-Rez crew; would really liked to have been able to go back on saturday but things got a bit hectic for me so I couldn't make it.
  • Quokimbo
    Bronco, I see you are from UK, I heard someone with an accent talking in the crowd before the demo lol...That Global Agenda game was pretty fun, I should have played it more then once.

Oh well, maybe next time! :)
  • Bronco
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe, at least now we know what ya look like for future reference :).

indeed maybe next time whenever that is for me. :)

John
  • Weapon_X
    Offline / Send Message
    Weapon_X polycounter lvl 17
    Quakecon was a blast this year. I had a chance to meet up with Bronco, Obike, Gauss, Sandbag, Lee, and Seany Sean who I work in the slave pens with; it was great meeting everyone and I hope we can meet up again for the next one. Thursday night was prolly the best one, they had Cobra Starship and the Bravery playing at the Wolfenstein release party. The bands were awesome! Cant wait to do it all again next year.
  • Scott_W