Home General Discussion

The Rambling of Another Lost Soul

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
I find myself at a rather problematic point and I could use the wisdom of those who've been here before. Plus I like to whine.

Regular viewers will know that I've been out of work for the last 7 months or so. For those who've only just tuned in, I worked in a game studio for 5 years before leaving to work on my portfolio and find somewhere more awesome to work. Then all of the banks ran out of money and so here I am.

Given the rather complicated nature of unemployment payments in this country and the fact that industry work has been constantly dangled over my head like Tantalus' grapes, my funds have dwindled away as I've done naught but work on my portfolio. With the industry in its current state the future looks a little uncertain. I might get work tomorrow or I might get nothing until I wind up living in a box. While the simplicity of the box option has a certain appeal, I'm not sure I'm really cut out for the hobo lifestyle.

I guess this is a turning point of sorts. The obvious option is to find some kind of interim job. I don't know whether you guys will be able to offer any kind of advice on what to go for in that respect. What does one do to keep oneself housed and fed while remaining sane and awake enough to keep cranking on the portfolio?

The other alternative is to run back to some kind of educational house and try to bulk up my skillset. There's work for animators and technical artists and such but not much for your rank and file modelling and texturing grunts. I've ready all of the words in the "degree vs portfolio" thread which were somewhat helpful in this respect, though my sitution is a little different to Blackula's. Do you think going back to school at this stage of my career to start a different tangent would be wise?

As you've probably guessed by now I've had a few glasses of wine and am more or less just rambling without any real focus, but any opinions, thoughts or jobs you could offer me would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Jackablade, I know where you're coming from as I'm in a similar situation. Different circumstances, but pretty much the same result... I'd bet there are a lot of other unemployed artists out there just like us thinking the same things.

Normally I would say "have you given freelancing a shot?" but at least from my experience and from what I've heard from many others there seems to be a lack of available freelance work out there atm. Maybe related industries aren't doing quite as bad, have you searched for any other 3D or art related work besides games that you might be qualified to do?

I've run scenarios around in my head trying to figure out what to do next as well. I thought about going back to school too, but due to where I'm at with life I really can't take all that time off until I can earn real money again. Not to mention that I would still love to get back into a game industry job. Can you afford to go back to school? both in terms of finances and time? If the answer is yes, maybe school isn't such a bad idea broadening your skill set could really help keep you employed in the future.

Here's the worst part of it all though or at least what I've been thinking a lot lately. The harsh truth that some of the senior artists around here have said from time to time is that those with the best skills never have trouble finding employment. And unfortunately following that line of thought leads me to believe at least for myself that my skills or at least my current portfolio isn't good enough right now. My current portfolio is a horrible mishmash of stuff from 2006 or earlier, stupid NDAs, if only games would ship faster... Oh well I'm currently working on big improvements to my portfolio, though sometimes it's hard to stay focused with the pressures of life and finances always biting at my heels.

On the other hand I took a look at your portfolio and it's in much better shape than mine is. You've got a lot of great DS work up there and you seem to be picking up on the current gen stuff rather well. Hopefully someone will need someone like you and hire you soon. I can only say that if you haven't been hired with your current portfolio and you still want to work in games then you probably need a better portfolio.

Like you said, you probably need to just get a temporary job that pays the bills while you keep working new/better artwork. Sorry I don't have any good answers as to what kind of job to look for, probably something that doesn't require much physical labor, that way you still have energy to work on your porfolio after work. I think someone had suggested night security work in a similar thread so that during the downtime you can at least draw in a sketchbook or something.

Sorry I probably rambled on too much as well without much usefull info to add. I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone and good luck. I hope you can find some employment soon.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm, can`t say that we share an exact parallel but... I`ve done the "quit the job, work on folio, `till I get something more awesome" a number of times, and the thing is nothing more awesome ever comes along. I can`t point out those elusive negative factors precisely but could be 1. I didn`t apply myself hard enough. 2. My approach is all wrong and didn`t promote hard enough. AND 3. I just don`t have the chops for the awesome jobs.

Ask those points of yourself too. I`m still perusing these boards daily believe it or not, and I don`t see you pimping your art a whole bunch, or atleast I haven`t noticed.

I hope that isn`t too blunt or aggressive I really don`t intend it to be.

Is going back to your previous job an option or not?

Good luck, and chin up.

f.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Yup. Well it could be worse. You could be like me and have no prior experience. Getting in as a junior right now is kind of difficult... I have student loan payments coming up so I'm probably going to have to take a lame retail job or something until I can get in with what I want. Which will happen, it's only a matter of time.
    Ben Apuna wrote:
    Here's the worst part of it all though or at least what I've been thinking a lot lately. The harsh truth that some of the senior artists around here have said from time to time is that those with the best skills never have trouble finding employment. And unfortunately following that line of thought leads me to believe at least for myself that my skills or at least my current portfolio isn't good enough right now.

Sometimes I feel like that, however, If you've done your best then all you can continue to do is keep working to improve and reach that level. No use in wondering if you aren't good enough. Make it good enough.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Frump

Yes good advice, that's what I believe too. If you want it enough then you just need to do whatever it takes to reach your goals.

While working on your portfolio your skill level can only go up. Good luck to you as well.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Jackablade, I sort of did what you are doing, the difference is I had no experience straight out of school. I refused to go work some shit job because the ones I could get were dangerous, and just didn't want to deal with that BS after I got my degree. Also I felt I would be more productive just working on my reel. I feel that was a huge mistake now. I lived off my savings until there was no other option. That was back in 2000. Also staying unemployed for a long period of time, makes it hard to get a job, it makes some HR people nervous. I suggest you get some sort of part time job so you don't have use that much of your savings and you would have enough time and energy to go back to your work. If not get a full time job and take one of your days off to just work on your reel like it was a job. The problem with working from home is most people are not as productive as they would be on site.If you never get out of the house you are going to get depressed which leads to artist block, which will kill your desire to do anything, especially work on something that is rather tedious like game art.

If you have a few thousand dollars in the savings I would try and get any job, so at least you can take care of things like rent. I would apply to other countries as well. Add some next gen to your reel, but take your time. Don't rush it. If you are capable of exercise. I would at least walk for 30 mins a day. Get out of the house some since that usually will make you want to get back to work.

Dude you have some nice work, do some finished characters or environments! Pick one and go for it. You should get a job after you do either. What are you waiting for, you already know how to do this stuff?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    you're probably tech savvy enough to get an entry level IT job or CSR position.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Justin that depends, a lot of places want you to be certified, regardless of how much experience you have doing it.
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobStites polycounter lvl 8
    Unfortunately I know a lot of people in this position. The market is extremely competitive right now and given the number of people that are currently unemployed it seems like if there are positions available they are more likely to go with someone that has a connection at the studio already. As for graduating students I had heard that something like 80% of students that graduated in 2008 hadn't found jobs, which still doesn't account for those that found jobs and were then laid off. Look around the boards a little and it's not hard to find very talented people that are out of work, especially recent graduates. I know one of my classmates (CounterSeal on here) recently posted about possibly moving to China for work.

I've been out of work for about 5 months now. I was working at EA, graduated from school, then started working for a small local outsourcing company which ran into trouble in March which led to them not renewing their contract artists. I helped out family for a while, but being away from home with no internet and no computer I felt wasn't going to help me find a job. I've been trying to work on my portfolio, but it's been getting really hard to work on anything because I've been getting really down. It's really discouraging to see people that have good portfolios having trouble find work. It's also really demoralizing to have 'job possibilities' dangled in front of you only to have them disappear, I've had a few of those over the last few months.

As far as finding a job in the interim, I'm not sure how it is other places, but it seems like competition for those is pretty fierce right now as well. Places have been cutting hours pretty dramatically at many retail locations. Our grocery stores now have lines running down the aisles because there are fewer checkers. There was a news report tonight about Kohl's (a discount store chain) opening several locations in the Bay Area and having 100+ interviews scheduled with 200+ people showing up for the open interviews. I've thought about trying to jump to a different field, but without any relevant experience, I'm not sure it would do any good.

I've been trying to attend as many networking events as possible, we have some game development groups that get together once a month. It helps get you out of the house and gives you an opportunity to socialize and most importantly it can get you some great job leads. It seems that with the large number of applicants for jobs now it's hard to get past HR's initial review, if you can talk to a possible hiring manager or get recommended to the hiring manager it helps a lot.

I'm not really sure what else to say other than you're not alone. I'm glad that someone posted something like this, although it feels weird posting about it. In the working world here it seems that acknowledging that you're having a rough time is like admitting to having the plague.

/grouphug
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Surely somebody with your experience would be able to find work? I have no industry experience and I am currently trying to break into the industry as a junior, but at the moment there are no jobs at all.

I'm sure that you've tried applying across the country? Or do you want to stay in Melbourne?

Also, I'm sure that you'd already know about these sites, but if you're looking for work in Australia, you should check these two sites:
    http://www.tsumea.com/
    http://www.conkerberry.com.au/ < There's a job here for a lead artist in Melbourne.. I don't know how old it is though.

Good luck man.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I can relate to you Jackablade. Been unemployed going on to 3 months now and it is not looking good. It has been impossible for me as an American to find work in Europe due to visa issues and the size of available workforce. I will likely have to fly back to America to alot of uncertainty and i will also have to split with my Danish girlfriend. If this is a recession proof industry i dont see it. Trying to fight off the feeling of not being good enough is hard but all you can do is work on your portfolio and soldier on. I will probably strt finishing alot of unfinished work i have done and hope for the best.

The worst part for me has been having 5 interviews that all went well that i thought would lead to offers and have all 5 chances at a job collapse whenever my work visa came up as an issue.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    JO420 wrote: »
    the size of available workforce.

The size of the available workforce is much higher in America (and because of that, you have to be a lot better at what you do, especially if you live in a big city). Sounds to me like it was just the visa that was an issue there mate. Marry the girlfriend!

I would never leave my job to work on a new portfolio, thats madness, especially if you are living on your own means. If I wanted a more awesome job, well, thats what evenings/weekends are for.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    The size of the available workforce is much higher in America (and because of that, you have to be a lot better at what you do, especially if you live in a big city). Sounds to me like it was just the visa that was an issue there mate. Marry the girlfriend!

I would never leave my job to work on a new portfolio, thats madness, especially if you are living on your own means. If I wanted a more awesome job, well, thats what evenings/weekends are for.

Thats why i am not looking foward to going back to america.

Problem is my visa, in the UK i can not get a job due to the fact it costs companies too much money to process it,i am working with a recruiter at the moment who seems to know what he is doing about work elsewhere in the EU so i am hoping that leads to something. I just finished looking into marrying the GF too but Denmark has the toughest rules to being able to marry someone who is a citizen. Shittiest rule is that she needs to have 11k in us dollars saved up for 7 years which she can not touch while my residence permit is processed,which takes 7 years.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Thats why i am not looking foward to going back to america.

Problem is my visa, in the UK i can not get a job due to the fact it costs companies too much money to process it,i am working with a recruiter at the moment who seems to know what he is doing about work elsewhere in the EU so i am hoping that leads to something. I just finished looking into marrying the GF too but Denmark has the toughest rules to being able to marry someone who is a citizen. Shittiest rule is that she needs to have 11k in us dollars saved up for 7 years which she can not touch while my residence permit is processed,which takes 7 years.

Holy hell.. what kind rule is that?? sounds like they want to keep thier women for themselves and dont like johnny foreigner pinching them...
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    rolfness wrote: »
    Holy hell.. what kind rule is that?? sounds like they want to keep thier hot Scandanavien women for themselves and dont like johnny foreigner pinching them...

Fixed that up for you.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    There is a real slump in the jobs market right now. Checking out all the usual recruitment sites, there are virtually no character artist jobs right now.
    My freelance work is right down this year which has led me to apply for full time positions but again they are not there at the moment.
    I was offered one job but the salary was too low as they don't seem to care about paying a decent salary now as there are so many people needing jobs.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    man that blows. I've been studyin my ass off latley and trying to finish off some stuff from mods so i can actually start applying to places but if someone with as much xp as you can't land a gig around here i think i might be screwed :poly122:

And agree'd on applying in other places too, brisbane and canberra have got studios... tho i get the feeling it's basically the same situation as down here. Could always try overseas too.

And sage that's some cool advice man. I've been sitting around the house trying to work 24/7 and it does get pretty shitty. Gonna go for a walk tommorow and maybe do some stuff... dunno what yet :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Please don't take offense, and I am sorry for your current situation but this industry's been like this for over a year now so, in the middle of this downturn you quit your job to work on your portfolio that was a bad move. Don't go back to school, you just paid over $500 to take a zbrush class ffs... A degree will not help you, just get a regular non3d job if you need cash and work on your portfolio at night. Good luck man, it's a shitty situation.

I wish I could leave to my 3d job work on my portfolio, been thinking about going back to IT as well just because I'm not happy here but the job issue is everywhere so I sit and bide my time and wait until the market gets better.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Speaking of shit times, anyone know if Crazybump is still giving free temp licenses to laid off artist?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi JO420 sorry to hear about your situation. Any chance you can bring your girlfriend over to the US. and marry here there, then somehow have that marriage binding over there in Denmark? I hope you can find some work soon too, good luck.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please don't take offense, and I am sorry for your current situation but this industry's been like this for over a year now so, in the middle of this downturn you quit your job to work on your portfolio that was a bad move.
    I bought into the "recession proof" claim and got burned for my naievety. Part of the reason I come around here looking for other people's perspectives is because I just don't trust my own judgement any more.

Thanks for the advice, guys. A little clarity is a wonderful thing.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Ben: Considered it but it wouldnt work regardless,i could go to city hall and marry her now but it means i still have to go.

Jackablade: I hate to say its the worst possible time to be unemployed ot to leave a job. I would try overseas as well but its very unlikely. With the sheer amount of artist unemployed around the major game developing areas of the world i think you would be hard pressed to find a studio that will pay the bill to rellocate you from Austrailia.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thing is I left right before the worst of the recession hit. No one really knew what was going to happen there, but people seemed pretty confident that the games industry would just keep rolling along as it always had. It's almost comical looking back at that now.

Working over seas isn't really an option. Everyone has the "you can only hire outside the country if you can prove that you can't find anyone locally" laws now. The extra cost is just an addition to that.

Anyway, back to the old retopo.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I know it's a bit of a stretch, but has anybody in a jobless situation (especially those with industry experience) considered doing some indie game collabs with others in their situation? Being unemployed is a bitch, but it also loosens the restrictions on your creativity, you could create some incredible stuff on your own accord.

Ofcourse, some unemployed programmers would be needed. A board like polycount seems like the perfect place to start something like that up.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ I've been thinking about this possibility as well. All the good programmers I know on a personal basis are all currently employed. I've also been thinking of getting back into programming myself so I could start up some indie stuff as well, but that would take a lot of time. Maybe we should hang around at the XNA Creators Club or something...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I don't like this thread. It's throwing my future plans awry. You may all start being super positive.... now.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    Speaking of shit times, anyone know if Crazybump is still giving free temp licenses to laid off artist?

Yep!

I've just PM'ed one to ya.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Ryan Clark wrote: »
    Yep!

I've just PM'ed one to ya.

Woot thank you very much