Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ghost v5, help needed

Hiya fellas!

I'm working from this concept :
picture-212.png

I'd really appreciate some help with the current model :
picture-3.png

Maybe I should lessen the armor details and just work on the base human mesh and then add armor as another object, what do you guys think. Any help or tips is greatly appreciated.

PS : go easy on me 2d. :P

Replies

• DoomiVox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm not sure if the armor is supposed to be flexible or not, if it isn't he's going to have a really hard to lifting his arms forward. seperate rigid geometry would be a solution to this but i'm not sure what kind of armor properties you're looking for.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I think I'm going to go for the relatively tight muscular suit and then hard surface model some extras. I'm a bit worried about the helmet though, I always screw up helmets (in fact I don't think I have even attempted anything very complicated for a helmet, just human heads. Whether a different modeling style should be used is something I guess I'll have to find out myself.
  • ha55a
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I reckon his feet need to be longer, they almost look like plates from the side view. :P

I'm not sure what the best option on separate models.

Will you be making a high poly version too? To make a normals map?
  • Evil Krisp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont know if you drew that or not but if so youre improving man. the hands and feet are a little small. here is a model sheet i did for reference
    l_9e143395b3634a5b9fba9337fe470c97.jpg
    try doing this then doing the armor on a layer over top. this will give a better idea on how the body would bend in the armor and how the armor would sit on the body.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen this before and it's a really good ref Krisp. =]
    Alec, try and model from something like this. But you are improving.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I guess before in my other topic you guys really beat 2d sense into myself, which I appreciate more than you can imagine! It means the world to me that you guys think I'm improving.

Yes I reckon I'm going to re-model it again to get a more human anatomy and work from there, I do plan on doing a high poly model but I'd rather think about that when I'm done with the base.
  • Evil Krisp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good thinking on taking it one step at a time. modeling goes easier when you have a clean model sheet. do you use photoshop or corel? what brush or settings do you use? do you keep your opacity at 100% the whole time.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the current reference I used a hard brush in photoshop with 90-100% opacity (from memory)
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a more base mesh looking at both my concept and some anatomy pics:
    picture-6.png
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gah, its so dam hard to sculpt something so hard surface! I think I'll just have to do it all in blender.
  • SomberResplendence
    If you plan on rigging/posing/animating, then I would probably model those arms bent forward a bit. Make them 50% bent for better animating/posing later.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, began sculpting on the base mesh, let me know what you guys think needs changing etc.
    picture-31.png
    picture-4.png

I'm almost completely new to digital sculpting - any tips appreciated.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Don't sculpt till you can model
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help.

why the hell would you even bother commenting useless crap like that? :poly127:
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    because its true.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And thanks to you as well.
    Started re doing it for cleaner approach
    picture-51.png

If anyone has a helpful comment that would be appreciated.
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like you are loosing allot of your basic anatomy/ silhouette from your concept art in the Z-Brush sculpt.

I would sculpt a good base human form based on your nude male sketch in Z-Brush before adding the armor on. It will make the character look correct proportionally. Then I would add in the armor above the base skin of the character, that way the character looks like he is wearing armor (depending how thick it is)

What ZacD said is some what true if a little too harsh. Getting basic modeling down in one program will help you immensely before jumping into the crazy world of Z-Brush. But is you want to do this to learn z-brush, go for it, you have to start somewhere.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you!
    I'm not certain on how I can do what you said, so I sculpt on top of my base mesh human anatomy, then dupe it (or something other) and sculpt armor over it?
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I would recommend also learning how to model a human accurately before moving onto sculpting.

It might be easier for you to just stop doing 3D all together and start getting your 2D skills up to par. Focus on drawing before sculpting. You'll spend more time rendering out forms with a pencil/pen/wacom that it will allow you to burn the anatomical information into your brain. Spend more time at places like conceptart.org

Watch more video tutorials if you can. Zach Petroc has a good few dvds by the name of "Form of Anatomy" that'll go piece by piece through the muscle system and proportions.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, cheers guys- I'm going to focus on creating an accurate, anatomically correct human from a modified version of my previous base mesh to work out the kinks. I appreciate your help, I just get really frustrated with comments like those previously mentioned.
  • andersh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andersh polycounter lvl 10
    I agree that the Zack Petroc DVD could be good for you. I also like Gnomon's recent "Next Gen Characters" DVD's (there are 2 of them).

The way I would go about modeling your concept is this:

-Model the human anatomy base mesh.
    -Do a sculpt pass on the human anatomy (musculature). I always keep my anatomy book(s) on my desk as I sculpt anatomy.
    -Build the armor in my 3D package (maya), because it is hard surface I wouldn't bother trying to sculpt it in ZBrush. However, hard surface modeling is another discipline which requires practice. I'm sure you can dig up plenty of hard surface modeling tutorials if you took a look around.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks mate, that's exactly what I was looking for in terms of workflow but I have a question.
    I would b modeling a complete suit over the anatomy but then I would add exterior armor pieces as separate objects, is that the right way to go about it?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    you've gotten better with every attempt.
  • Evil Krisp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh look your modeling a burn victim....wait..oh um. just kidding man it looks rough but zbrush is overwhelming at first so keep swinging. i agree with ceebee on concentrating on 2d. your just starting to get the hang of 2D and instead of continuing to work on it you go back to your old ways and jump straight to modeling when everyone is telling you to SLOOOOOW DOOOOOWN.
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm focusing on human body modeling to get anatomy shoved into my head, I'm also still doing 2d studies whenever I can.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember doing something like this when I very first started. Looks to be like a whole bunch of standard brush random stuff. It doesn't look complex.

The thing I was told a billion times - Work on form. Study anatomy.

Good luck.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    In your case I would use a concept that is similar to your character and go from there. That way you have a base model that has good proportions. But ideally you should focus on your 2d and learn the basics. If you are trying to model humans just get a lot of reference of the human body and model each part.

Here is a character sheet of Spiderman. Spawn and Deadpool would help too. Get lost of reference. Do a search for body armor and superheros like Batman that have gotten movies made and you can compare. Looking at scuba gear and wet suits might help

http://www.celshading.com/gallery/displayimage-search-0-1.html

I suggest you make a layer and trace over it the muscles, etc and how your armor is supposed to look.