Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Mladen Jovicic, Character Artist(noob)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
warriah polycounter lvl 12
hello everybody. so i finished putting together my portfolio recently(today). I worked for a lil while at a local game studio here and now i am looking for a junior character artist position. I probably choose the wrong year to apply for a job with the economy and all heh. I sitll gotta work out some kinks here and there with the site and some content before i actually start applying. (flash model is not finished yet).

www.mladenjovicic.com

I guess the the biggest question i have is, is this enough for a junior character artist position?

let me know what you guys think!

heres some art work incase you dont want to click on the site.

f3.jpg
c3.jpg
beauty_shot.jpg
mk4.jpg

Replies

• poostayn
    your stuff doesn't look noob to me. nice work.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Since when does flash have giant pecs/arms?
  • cycloverid
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    I'm not a character artist, but your flash looks pretty good. His legs look a bit meager compared to his upper body and his facial features might be too petite for a superhero. Otherwise, this is pretty solid.

I can barely see the other characters -- either because they look incomplete, or the lighting/materials are too dark. I'd work on your presentation on those.

I'd spend a week or so tightening everything up. But, it seems like you are well on your way!

Good luck.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    ZacD wrote: »
    Since when does flash have giant pecs/arms?

dont be a douchebag

Looks good man. I think your Flash has a good finished quality that kind of falls short in your other pieces
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    This is probably terrible but I did a quick liquify on The Flash to adjust his physique.

warriah_flash_liquify.jpg
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I like the original stylized propotions better.....makes him look less lke a generic superhero model.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    This is probably terrible but I did a quick liquify on The Flash to adjust his physique.
    low odor wrote: »
    I like the original stylized propotions better.....makes him look less lke a generic superhero model.

Flash isn't suppose to be a bulky super-strong generic stereotypical super hero. warriah has the right as an artist to recreate the character however he wants though. But the flash I remember was the fast lanky guy, like the edit this guy did, its not very generic. I wasn't being a douche. You were right though about the presentation of the other models, warriah you need to work on that a little bit.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Great work on the flash!
    Me i would have gone the other way and given him super thunder thighs, calves, and a tiny upper body.
  • chademond
    You have some nice stuff there man, keep up the good work! I thought I was the only Winnipeg 3d Artist in existence, lol.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Portfolio looks great so far, i would say its more than enough for a junior position. Im sure you could even get in on a intermediate position if you pimp yourself confidently.
  • beartraps
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    Good stuff man, only crit I have is the texture on your dom war character is pretty weak. U should work on that. Everything else looks solid.

Best of luck!
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    you're no noob warrior.... don't think of yourself that way.... your sculpts are great and i love your flash character. the site is very functional and kicks mine in its pathetic ass. i think your weakest area at this point is your texture work. your sculpting style is pretty damn cool with a solid display of progression throughout your pieces. so how is flash comin'... you gotta post some updates man!
  • Hatred
    Offline / Send Message
    Hatred polycounter lvl 18
    Portfolio looks great so far, i would say its more than enough for a junior position. Im sure you could even get in on a intermediate position if you pimp yourself confidently.

Yeah it looks like you feel shapes, your models got that something, if you develop yourself properly intermediate position should be a peace of cake! :) good modeling portfolio man, you could enchance texturing field and itll be great!
  • Rory_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    warriah wrote: »
    I guess the the biggest question i have is, is this enough for a junior character artist position?
    mk4.jpg

I sure hope so, because I don't have that much more than you do and I'm looking for the same thing. I like the site design, very clean and simple and I like your take on the Flash. It has style, I guess that's the problem with doing a well known character though, because everyone has their own idea of what he/she should look like. Great portfolio, I hope you can find something soon.
  • pangarang
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    you're such a noob. Do you even know what a normal map is? only noobs model their characters in t-poses.

yes, I'm joking. Your stuff is pretty ace. But for the sake of nitpicking, i think the curves of Flash's arms are a little overexaggerated and they are also slightly too long. Also your texturing is a little dull. The SSS (i think you have it) is saving the renders but yeah, a little longer spent on the textures, including those minor details really helps sell them. Great job!

Also yes, i think you have what it takes to be a junior artist. problem is so do A LOT of other people with experience who got laid off during the recession and who you are now competing with to get a job.
  • nellement
    Offline / Send Message
    nellement polycounter lvl 13
    Mladene nisi ti pochetnik kakva je to titula:) trebash da stavish da si profi kao shto i jesi.
    Man you're not noob you're more like a pro.
    That monkey rocks!!
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Kinda random, but is that realtime shot of Flash made with my Shader? Would be cool if it is :)
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    This all looks pretty nice, friend. Good work for a "noob." ;)
  • warriah
    Offline / Send Message
    warriah polycounter lvl 12
    poostayn: thanks
    Zacd: well, everybody has their personal flavor when it comes to creating or recreating a superhero i suppose. my take on him was simply to do the style of joe mad from ultimates vol 3.
    cycloverid: yeah i will be going over presentation stuff before i am ready to apply. thanks!
    low odor: thanks,yeah latest works are usually better than previous ones, i think anyway.
    ScoobyDoofus: hmm interesting take on his physique,actually i had his thighs bulky at one point, but decided against it and went into a different direction as i felt it didn't look good in my eyes.
    Thegodzero: lol something like chun li eh
    chademond: haha same here. there's a few of em here in winnipeg.
    JohnnyRaptor: thanks, yeah i'l try to apply for junior positions and see what happens
    beartraps: yeah texturing, even tho fun, is still something im learning.
    Firebert: totally agreed. updated it already in the comicon thread
    Hatred: thanks!
    Rory_M: yeah me too. we'l see how things go. Yeah, websites shouldn't really be complicated, so tried goin with the most simplest way of showing of my work.
    pangarang: lol thanks. i'l take that into consideration when i get back to flash. its actually all rendered in marmoset, but yeah, agree on the texturing.
    nellement:nisam znao da si ti ovde heh:) hvala puno.vidicemo kako sve ide kad pocnem da trazim za poslo. gladnomije da ti se svidja majmun haha
    Xoliul:unfortunanly no, its all marmoset screens. you shader looks sweet tho. any chance of seeing it maya?
    stoofoo: hehe thanks dude

thank guys for you honest opinions! helps alot. should be applying sometime this week or next week after some tweaks here and there

cheers
  • Zack Fowler
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Disclaimer: I'm an environment artist, not a character artist. ;)

I was actually avoiding this thread for a bit because of the "noob" bit in the title, but it's solid work. Don't sell yourself short, it puts the idea in people's heads even if it's not true. Humility is great but just like self-confidence it can be taken too far and end up repelling people.

Flash is looking great, but I agree with others that you should try to make him more slim and lanky. Not only because of his identity as an established character, but for the sake of variety in your portfolio -- all your other characters are also super ripped at the moment, and I imagine you'll be applying to more studios than just Epic. ;) If you were to start another character I would highly recommend attempting a woman with draped cloth elements in her costume.
  • z3phon
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 15
    Warriah you deserve a slap for calling yourself a noob. :P
    Your work is great, I really like the monkey.
  • Belias
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias polycounter lvl 14
    monkey = win .