Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Big gun

I_luv_Pixels
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
started a high poly just thought i would post some progress.

that was the first
gun-WIP.jpg

thought the tri pod was just to weak looking
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c392/arechiga_tony/gun.jpg

So i threw some tired in there from another file and painted in some way of connecting them...lol

gun-1.jpg

Progress as of today. Changed the tires and modeled in the parts i painted in....still trying to get them to work properly.
high_poly.jpg

Replies

• Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Looks cool!
    But I cant really imagine someone standing behind it. Looks like its too low and the tires behind would annoy. They look anyway too much like "training wheels" to me. ;) Maybe add something, that gets pushed at the ground for avoiding kickback, instead. The magazine seem pretty small for a minigun, maybe add a magazine box on floor metal plane that connects to the side magazines somehow?
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i see imagine it as a small type of artillery type gun, not really a mini gun. It's like a slow firing heavy weapon. Sort of like a 40mm grenade launcher......just think of the rounds as mini nukes :)

I see it as a roll up kneel down and fire type of weapon as well.

I wan to add a small platform to the back that you could kneel on if needed. Because those tires in the back were just some placeholder objects. I do like the idea of some sort of kick back device on the back of the weapon. Will do :)
  • P442
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    nice concept and execution
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I would put the shield things on the front of the tires on all the tires and make the shield for the human bigger. It looks great though.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critique Sage ill move the fender things to the front and see how that holds up :)
  • kysterama
    I want one.

Love the concept, but the gunner looks poorly protected. Nice modeling!
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Reminds me of the sled machine guns - from before they realised those 30kg things fulfilled the same role as a bipod. The sleds would contain a tool kit for the machine, so maybe you could use something like that to add some flavour and assymmetry? Here, for example, which is incomplete, you can see extraction scissors and some tool next to it. Full versions also had little holders for lubricants and other stuff to maintain the gun.
  • Zack Fowler
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work so far, looks very beefy and grimy. Seems like it would fit in perfectly as a Gears of War prop. Maybe replace the small back wheels with support legs (like you can find on some construction vehicles) to enable the gun to remain stationary?
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Sense of scale is lacking. Is it huge? or mansized. Based on the tires and barrel size it would appear very large, but based on the trigger mount it appears smallish. On closer examination I'm getting that the triggers are full hand triggers.

Also no reason large bore guns have to be slow firing.
    Found this looking for something else, and thought it might contribute interesting shapes/ideas http://www.flickr.com/photos/f18e777/2084725908/sizes/m/

Also further nitpicks: If its so heavy it rides on a wheeled platform, how does it move? Is it self propelled? Is it towed to a location? Can it be moved by hand (one or two guys)
    If the gunner is to look through the top mounted scope, how can he get his head close enough to see through it while keeping his hands in firing position?
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    really cool stuff!

love it
  • torontoanimator
    looks quite badass :D i was thinking of doing a piece like this, but an artillery cannon instead of a machine gun so this is gonna be good ref for me :D thanks!