Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Blizzard Fan Art

Taking this off until further progress has been made..

Replies

• Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    this is a very confusing image to look at. The scene is obviously meant to have depth but none of that is portrayed. The lighting seems like its all over the place. And the composition is questionable in general, for a 3d image everything sure feels flat.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah it's pretty hard to tell what's going on in the image. you've got some nice details though. I suggest pushing the objects in the background by lightening them up a bit. also play around with the lighting a bit.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    looks like there are some smoothing issues on the left shoulder pad tooth. post some more pics :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Who's this fan art contest with? Is Blizzard running one again?
  • torontoanimator
    the barbarian is looking good, but the backround definitely distracts the viewer, honestly id just focus on the barbarian :P
  • L3XICON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the actual elements you have going on in the background don't seem to be too bad. I think the problem at the moment is more a sense of distance, it currently looks like all the background elements are along a single place of distance, like a wall behind the barbarian (apart from the very top right of the image were you actually havesome nice distance effects going). have a play with a few different ways of laying out those background elements, and you can also have a look at some different lighting sset ups, and maybe depth of field techniques etc in post to give a sense of depth and scale
    good luck :D
  • DanielB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking this off until further progress has been made..
  • DanielB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the critiques, here are some quick shots of everything in my scene. I plan on relighting everything and playing with the camera angles some more.
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    I don't want to sound like a jerk, but your presentation skills need some serious work. I've seen black backgrounds work when the lighting is phenomenal, but I'd suggest doing a 3 point setup and an off-black background. Don't try to hide details in your prop sheets.

I'm not sure what your focus is as an artist, but you sculpting is really rough on that bust. The creases in his skin really stand out as being overly deep. The proportions aren't too bad, but I'd spend some more time getting nice clean edges and such.

The background isn't reading well at all. It looks as though there is a waterfall attacking that tower. Where are your light sources?? If there were only a few small holes seeping lighting into this cave (presumably), then it'd be too dark in to discern anything. The fact that you just have one noisy rock texture isn't really helping either.

As far as the composition, it looks like the barbarian stopped to get a quick snapshot from a local demon. He is just occluding the background, without logical purpose for being there.

Keep slugging at this. You are doing some things well, but your weaknesses are really holding this down.