Home General Discussion

Stratagon ...?

SO ... i'm looking for companies close to me in the south florida region ... all i can find was stratagon because i had a friend who worked there. Anyone have any opinions about this company and is there maybe some other company is south florida i could look into

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Shadows in Darkness is an outsourcing studio run by some AiFL teachers.

I don't really have an opinion but a friend of mine worked there about six years ago and had some paychecks bounce, could possibly chalk that up them being a new company and underestimating operating costs.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I've worked with SiD and would recommend them...
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    I work for SiD and they are cool. They are also the only company down here cause I heard that Stratogon might've went under a few months back.

Oh, and they aren't being run by teachers.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    I currently work for SiD, I've never had any problems with payment or anything else here for that matter. Justin you may want to check your facts, no one here teaches at AIFL. One used to for a short time but not anymore.
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm well that sucks, I'm suck looking for an entry level job or some sort of intership ... Whats this outsourcing company run by teachers? Which AI are u talking about? the one in fort lauderdale?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to talk to Seforin he worked at Stratagon for a while. I'm pretty sure they went under...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Cybroxide wrote: »
    I currently work for SiD, I've never had any problems with payment or anything else here for that matter. Justin you may want to check your facts, no one here teaches at AIFL. One used to for a short time but not anymore.

Not trying to cause trouble, I can't remember the teacher's name, I think it was Mike - this was back in 2002-2003. I'd feel irresponsible if I didn't mention the paycheck thing - It was when they were working on a Hot Wheels game that got canned.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TBH I may have taken a bit more offense to the statement then what was called for since I really don't know what was going on 6 years ago. So apologies for jumping all over your case.

I do know that at least now they are pretty solid and I haven't ever heard of that type of stuff going on. There is a company down here called Virtual Prophecies that has an AIFL teacher named Mike working for them, however I dont know their fate since I haven't heard much of them.
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah i just spoke with a teacher here, his name is joel. He said that HIS teacher (when he was studying here) work there. He also mention that stratagon went under, probably in juicey flames. I found their site, rather impressive stuff, but i need to work on my stuff a bit more before i can even consider apply for an intership
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do know that at least now they are pretty solid and I haven't ever heard of that type of stuff going on. There is a company down here called Virtual Prophecies that has an AIFL teacher named Mike working for them, however I dont know their fate since I haven't heard much of them.

Their doing fine, I just spoke with mike and their working on a project he could not talk about. But those guys are still kicking.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RawRanator wrote: »
    Their doing fine, I just spoke with mike and their working on a project he could not talk about. But those guys are still kicking.

no doubt, thats good to hear in these times.
  • RawRanator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no doubt, thats good to hear in these times.

yeah, he mentioned he needed programmers ... not my forte.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Hmmm, I applied to SiD a few months back, and got a very happy reply. It was more than suggested I was gonna be put on the team, then nothing. No contact of any kind, just poof, gone. I waited a month, emailed them back and asked if something went wrong, and still haven't heard form them about 2-3 months later.

I would have LOVED to have been on the team, and in fact I re-applied a couple of days ago. Fingers still crossed.

Is there a site with a list of outsourcing companies like SiD, and Liquid Development?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    the people were great who worked at stratogon; its managment not so much

I learned alot from the people but I heard that lately that studio isnt to hot. Still around...but not hot.

SID Dosent really bring in alot of interns and hires on only really cream of the crop. My experiences with them werent many but I know a few people who work there who were considered the schools talented and tight nick'ed (and still talented) members so im sure they got there positions accordingly.But I remember certain groups got jobs there, so if your talking to the right people, start doing it now :)

My experiences with strat' you know first hand when I talked to you, so if there still around realize those stories I told you would be your everyday work place.

Your better moving to the west coast like I did. Im back in my field already in less then 3 months :)
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    Hmmm, I applied to SiD a few months back, and got a very happy reply. It was more than suggested I was gonna be put on the team, then nothing. No contact of any kind, just poof, gone. I waited a month, emailed them back and asked if something went wrong, and still haven't heard form them about 2-3 months later.

I would have LOVED to have been on the team, and in fact I re-applied a couple of days ago. Fingers still crossed.

Is there a site with a list of outsourcing companies like SiD, and Liquid Development?

Yeah sorry about that, since we're still a relatively small studio we don't have a dedicated HR person, so when a client like GBX or Infinity Ward needs a lot of stuff done, everyone kinda drops what they are doing an focus fires on that, when we do resume average work load it can be easy to forget what was going on before. If you feel we might have forgotten about you, resubmit and say Hey! you guys forget about me? It happens :P
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Ah, thanks for that, Cybroxide, I'll do that. It was such a weird thing, I thought there had to be some sort of explanation, and that one fits perfectly. I'll go ahead, and resubmit.

[EDIT] Resubmit sent, here's hoping things there have slowed down. Thanks a lot for the info, Cybroxide, it's much appreciated.