almighty_gir ngon master
revank.jpg

almost done with the high poly :)

Replies

• d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    the foot seems awfully large methinks. other than that, it's a nice sculpt!
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    I think that foot size is right, but it is not finished yet? boots are look awkward to me.
    Pretty nice model besides! :)
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Dang, I knew someone would beat me to it eventually...

Ok, I'm fully aware this is WIP but here is my 2 cents :)

Here be some mighty fine reference:

KotOR0002b_Med.jpg

I'd work at the boots more, Revans boots felt more like sci-fi boot/shoe hybrid to me, I think it's because they get finer and lower towards the front.
    The Metallic forearm bracer also completely envelopes his arm rather than the outer side.
    His cloak also seems more like it's wrapping around small shoulder pads rather than hangin naturally. The part that are segments on his chest also look more like thick black padding.
    I'd also suggest tweaking the way his trousers crease around the top of his boots by either bulging the volume outwards or making them appear to be tight against the legs and tucked beneath the boots. At the moment the only thing that really suggests the break between trouser and boot is the trim which doesn't tend to fit star wars costumes. They often tend to be thin leather but as Revan's appear to be metallic...

I think in general my critique would be that your high-poly tends to lack the volume that is suggested in the old diffuse version.

The layering in your sculpt's armour is also very sharp and jagged, personally I'd have modelled his chest armour and mask as sub-d.

Oooo and don't forget his silly pinky purple cardboard piece! :P ( I know you won't)

Keep crackin at it, I wanna see the end result :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a good start!

The proportions and volume feel good already. You definitely need to work more on the cloth and sharpen up those folds, get some really nice crisp shapes there. Also the boots need a lot of work, they look like plasticine clogs at the moment.

Right now I would not say you're "almost done" with the high poly, I think this is a good point to be at but you can really push this further in terms of refinement and detail, and it can be a really great piece.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah i went for dinner, came back and said "yeah i can do more" haha

i'm trying to play around with new techniques when it comes to the folds, do you tend to use masks to help sculpt them? or just let it flow naturally?

@ razor: yeah, there's a couple of artistic changes i've decided to make, based both on the original art, and the various fan art that's floating all over the place. eventually i'll probably pose him with both single, and dual weilded stances, as the wiki says he did both and in the second game you fight him dual wielding.
    the wristguards i've gone for a single plate to emphesize the gloves, partly because i think it'll make the plates more impactful visually (breaking up surfaces), and partly because i think having a metal plate wrap completely around your wrist is both uncomfortable, and unhelpful :P

the cloak i guess could go either way, from one side yeah it looks like it's going over armour plating on his shoulders, and from another side it looks like the modeler at bioware made it that way to fit the visual style and/or their modeling protocals at the time.

will post updates soon =]
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    revan.jpg

update!

i think i'm gonna rework his back cape tomorrow =/
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    This is looking nice! I like the little rectangular details in the cloth for the center piece, but not so much with the larger piece that hangs down around his waist. I think it might look better if you just went with more basic cloth style for this area.
    Really cool update though!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hey brad, thanks!
    i've found his robes to look a little busy, i still want the crimpled look they have in the game screenshot, but obviously they just textured that onto a flat plane. trying to achieve that in 3d isn't easy! but i've gotten it to a point i'm happy with :D i'll be redoing his back cloak later.

revan.jpg
  • jmchristopher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmchristopher polycounter lvl 11
    Looks good I like the gloves.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    revan2.jpg

here's the low poly :D
  • Firebat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebat polycounter lvl 11
    Nice looking, i like it. What is polycount?

Can u give mesh without unnecessary triangles? Will be much more readable
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    sorry, triangle count is 7500.

and i optimise my low poly meshes in triangles... :S
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    you've got a lot of polygons in the chest part with the engravings that might be better spent on parts that deform a lot, like the cloak and robe.

otherwise nice lowpoly
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    revan2.jpg

wippity wip wip.
  • s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    It's coming along, though I think you should rework the front red flap. Normals look funky, and in the ref its a lot finer.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah i think the AO bake isn't helping on the cloth either. i'm getting much closer to the final result i'm after, mixing colours into the specular is giving me some really nice results!
    revan2.jpg

the final render will most likely be done in unreal engine, so i do have a quick question: the specular colour channel is where i'll be slotting the current spec map. but can i use the "specular" channel, as a gloss input? i feel i've gotten some good results in the spec already, and that the materials look suitably different from each other. but i'm trying to think of ways to push that result.

any suggestions?