Cody polycounter lvl 15
    What? Dude that made no sense. Explain.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i like these words here:
    "To be very correct (unless I am mistaken)"

alright, you can be a game artist. but be warned, if you post any more work that looks like mine, i'm gunna sue the shit out your face! you copy'n my brick and wooden wall texture idea!? ... the nerve... AND you have my first name. you're screwed pal. see you in court, bucko.
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    I think he wants to make it clear that he didn't copy anything and one can get into trouble doing so. Am I right?!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    who knows, he's obviously using photos in his textures. did you want us to think you weren't? THIS IS CRAZY! i'm gunna sue him. you're mine Cory! you hear me!?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I wouldnt worry about it too much unless you intentionally rip off someones design. also, why do your textures seem to have a color overlay on them?

it looks like you took a photo sourced texture and then just masked areas with colors. its killing all color variation and details you would get without it.

finally, I dont think you need to watermark your posts, no one around here is gonna steal anything, its just annoying.

itd be cool to see the textures applied to some geo with normal maps and a spec.
  • joert99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joert99 polycounter lvl 14
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    This guy is funny. :poly124:
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Hi, firstly this is the wrong forum to be looking for work or showing it, and secondly it might be more helpful if you provide your portfolio link in the post as well. Try one of these forums for job searching; http://boards.polycount.net/forumdisplay.php?f=39

edit: actually, I can see why you didnt provide your portfolio link in the post - good move.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I uh don't oh hmm well...you see...erm...

looks good.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Are you just making Yellow Hued textures or do these correspond to some models?
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Are you just making Yellow Hued textures or do these correspond to some models?

no you don't get it dude he's trying to come up with designs for his game art that doesn't exist that he's trying to develop designs that are better than designs that already exist

you know, by designing things that are for the games industry

god how thick are you?

edit: designs man....designs
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Do you have any models to go with these and what are you trying to do?
  • joert99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm hoping to have it coked up and complete as soon as possible. Trying to make a colonial/imperial city.

4 months and counting
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Have what completed? It looks like a old village of some sorts. Any references your working with?

EDIT:

You ninja. Ok. Cool then. England esk? Spanish? A lot to work with in those areas me thinks.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    it took you 4 months to make these textures?
    Surely that cant be right, lets see some images of the scene! :o
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    ceebee wrote: »
    the fuck are these anyways? you just taking slices of textures from various people or pictures and adding them to a gigantic texture sheet?

...are you retarded or something man?

everybody knows you start off in the games industry by going to westwood college, psh.

Although I would express this a little more friendly to a new polycounter Ceebee is some kind of right.

At the moment it pretty much only looks like you tokk some photo-references, extracted the textures a throw them all thogether on one texture sheet. For adding further details like the corner-stones above the door you seem to have just colored / copied some other kind of stone. Painting some details / shadows will be an improvement.

All in all you should add additional details in your textur-sheet. I'm thinking of dirt and tear at the bottom of each wall-texture (unless you want those tileable in both directions)
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    What exactly are you getting coked up?

This is the best post I've seen in a while.

Seriously though man, just take your time. I'd suggest maybe looking at some other environments here and learning an industry workflow.

To be honest, these textures look a lot like custom texture packs I used for Worldcraft yearrrsss ago.

Is there a trap door in your floor?? Soooooo tight.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys guys guys it's still a work in progress he still needs to rip a few textures from games and add them to his masterful collection
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joert99,
    the work posted on the forum here, usually are not made for games, more than half, actually, is hobby work.

i'm not really sure what the purpose of using watermarks on textures are... i suppose it's supposed to prevent others from stealing and using them... the way i see it, is, i don't really care if someone wants to steal my work... if they want to be a sleazy douche-bag, they have the right to be one. but, i'm not going to give the d-bags power, i don't want to obscure my images with watermarks.. see, in a way, they win, it uglies up the presentation of my textures.

okay, so lets talk homles. you're not making much sense when you type, either you have a staple in your brain or you're dizzy from spinning around. i get that way, allll the time, i love spinning around in circles! i digress. what i mean is, you sound really fucking confused, and this makes you confusing. what i want to say to that, is stop it. you need to get unconfused.

the only thing i really understand about your post, is that you want to be a video game artist, and that your name is Cory Kanakis. that you've used the interesting word combination "design progressions"? i wouldn't use that anymore. wtf is that supposed to be refering to anyway? ;p you keep using the word design, what are you designing? a texture layout? maybe there is some meaning to your genius, i'm sorry i've been left behind.

my advice, is to start reading as many threads as you can 'round here. i mean, skip the shit. basically you want to look for the discussions that are talking about what it is you're here for: to learn what you need to know to become a video game artist, more specifically, an environment artist; the info is here, in the deep dark green caverns on these forums. so find them, soak it up, understand it and utilize as much good stuff as you can.

i don't know what level you're at, as a game artist, but the best way, is to do what you're doing, in the sense you need to post your game art up for "peer review", get some feedback, get the people that know what they're talking about to give you useful critiques without demanding it and expecting it. i really hate that personally. i digress.

so, i don't know where this fear of copyrights are coming from with you, but you shouldn't have anything to worry about. the way you get sued for copyright's is by doing something stupid, by doing something you know is wrong, using other people's shit, in your own shit. and is all just shit btw... what gain is there to cheat, then, eh? not to say you would, i'm just exhaling on you.

and lastly, i'd like to say, use all this shit and create something.
  • holygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid wrote: »
    Is there a trap door in your floor?? Soooooo tight.

Made me laugh very very hard, oh boy... LOL
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like how the first image has a watermark (note: im pretty sure watermarks are called just that because you're still able to see a semblance of what is underneath, and not just big bold black fonts shitting all over the image) yet the second one with more (stolen) content doesn't
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    lol, this is hilarious... :P
  • joert99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right! That's why I'm here! To get as much feed back about my incomplete shit as possible!
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, alright

seriously dude just make a box or a box with a wedge on top of it and put these to use

then we might actually have something to call incomplete and actually give you crits on and not just "shit"
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice going on finally turning off douche-mode, ceebee. Let's help the guy, rather than just poke fun!
    The best suggestion right now really is to make a simple model and to texture that. Just making textures for the sake of doing textures is going to make things a lot harder on you.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    i would like to see these textures on something, onlong with some normal mapping and spec mapping , go buy unreal 3 and lets see what you got!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    what is your aim here?
    feedback, discussion about originality or creativity?

oh and those watermark images in the texture sheet look noob style. Unless someone has the matching UV+model sets for those textures and they are good enough they might be a possible source of copy paste - but its pretty unlikely.
    If its good enough it will mostly be rather an inspiration to others - not a source to copy from. So please don't put those hilarious watermarks on them in future, just a simple copyright or simply your name or url on the bottom, so people know you created that and it belongs somehow to you.

And as for industry originality: its a big depression right now, many games look like the same (i.e GOW style, Casual Game Style, Steampunk Style, NEXT GEN style, Wii style, WOW game,...). It's depressing but also extremely dumb if think you should match your style under a hype label. Instead and this is my personal opinion it would be sometimes nice if designers or artist would rather develop their style around real content research (fashion, culture, fiction, interpretation, generation, year, crafts,...) and not marketing or buzzwords- every idiot knows those and tries to ride with that wave these days.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I R STEALING ALL THESE TEXTURES HUR HUR HUR!

(no seriously, what am I looking at? there texture flats of what? I dont see any shadows or anything , these dont look hand painted, over all look like a start to something but to what im not sure...post these textures to whatever models you have planned in mine if you want some real feed back sir :) )
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joert99 wrote: »
    OK! To make it clear- These designs are not intentionally made for any game title that exists- I am unemployed- and am trying to make better designs than exist- at least I'd better be pursuing that right!?

These are not for any company-it's practice- as an outsider.

Er, hehe, is it just me or does this guy always seem to shout when posting?
    I also have no clue what he's trying to say..
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joert99 wrote: »
    Right! That's why I'm here! To get as much feed back about my incomplete shit as possible!

Why don't you stop shouting, sounding aggresive and show us some of your geo which will actually be textured? ;P

EDIT - Sorry, double post.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    ceebee wrote: »
    no you don't get it dude he's trying to come up with designs for his game art that doesn't exist that he's trying to develop designs that are better than designs that already exist

you know, by designing things that are for the games industry

god how thick are you?

edit: designs man....designs

ROFFALZ
  • chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL this thread is classic. Everyone seems confused and angry. :D
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now don't take this the wrong way... I don't want this to come across horribly negative towards you...

But when I look at this... it makes me feel better about my posts.
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Lets see some more work :poly122:
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is someone getting coked up in here?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey fellas,

Can someone tell me what the fuck is going on?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    This is a strange thread, all the textures are yellowish and I'm sure that no matter what cool model you apply them to they will still look yellowish and therefore not cool.
    Go to http://www.cgtextures.com/ and download something like a metal texture, try painting over it with a brush (without using layer styles) to emphasize and seperate different areas till you come up with something striking - if that's what you want to improve on?
    Otherwise make a 3d model of something and sit back and look at it, think what textures you want to put on it, unwrap it and get to work!
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Ima gonna go git me a jorb wit me hot new textures.

Needs a trap door though...

http://gamestepper.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26528&d=1249000298
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    we got yellow stone aarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
  • joert99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .....It's like a constant dare on this forum......I like it.:poly136:
  • maltuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lulz at this thread.

post your models dude.
  • joert99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    YOUR YELLOW BRICKS ARE TOO BIG! (and low rez (and flat)) Crazybump that shit.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Nice. How about a little more though, some big buildings and castles? This just isn't a lot to look at.

Can we sticky this thread?
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    me thinks your working on the new Oz game, hence all the yellow bricks.
    and you're totally gonna get kickbanned for NDA breaking. :(
    FORESHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the textures used on dabu's little alley turned out pretty decent, reminds me of like Skys of Arcadia art a little.