Home General Discussion

dead laptop

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
aggh. turn it on. no bios screen. green power light and fan but nothing else.
any ideas?

back on my pentium 4

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Best to deal with laptop issues with its manufacturer. Maybe the Mobo failed.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    maybe a borked power unit? same thing happened to me on a brand new computer last week, the power was lighting up but no juice getting into the motherboard. very annoying >:(
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well last week I was getting grey vertical lines on the monitor and then it was ok. not sure what this even means.
    the hard drive is making a noise and the hard drive light comes on for a while then nothing.
    lost my damn snowboard guy:(
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Doesn't sound like a problem with the HD so your data is probably safe. Depending on the hardrives interface you can buy an adaptor and hook it up to a desktop machine, or you can buy an external case that will hold your hadrive and allow you to hook it up to another machine via USB.

It does sound like either your video card or mobo died though :(

Considering how integrating everything is on a laptop your probalby SOL in terms of buying spare parts and trying to fix it. If it's not under warantee your gonna need to get a new one.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah I figured that. what a pain. it cost me a lot of cash 1500 quid and I have ony has it for a year. luckily I am drunk right now so am not very angry:)
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    lol, I can relate, my desktop reacently died. Don't worry though once you get your new machine all of this will be behind you :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    been a weird day. cat brought in an half dead bird today, had to kill it then this happens:o
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Well same thing happened to mine. Vertical lines usually mean your graphics card is dead or heat sink fan isn't working properly, heating up your graphics card or CPU. My computer has one heat sink that covers the main graphics card (i have SLi) and it also covers the CPU. Alienware replaced my graphics card and heatsink and it's all back to normal. Maybe that can help you narrow down the problem. The fan that got replaced was working...and I told them that, but they wanted to replace it anyways.

Sorry dude, I know how much it sucks when your laptop dies.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah cheers man, will look at it tomorrow
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I hope you at least ate the bird, the cat went through alot of trouble bringing you a fresh kill.

About the drive > I was surprised to find out laptop drives use the SATA interface nowadays. My WD passport stopped working so I opened the case up, hooked up the drive inside my machine, and copied my important docs over.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I am hedging my bets on a dead video card.

Best thing to do right now is, go get an external enclosure for 2.5" drives, flap that laptop drive in there and retrieve that data! :)

-EDIT- Damn you, Justin! Let me finish typing before you trump me!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah the cat brought me a bird , but it was quite sad as I had to do it to death:(
    I won't mention how i killed it

I will buy a cable and transfer the files to my desktop
    I had a recent back up but lost about weeks work
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    How'd you kill it?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I felt like a jerk the minute after I posted. I've had pet fish suffering and I didn't have the guts to kill him. I just put him in a breeding basket so the other fish would stop attacking him and he lingered for 2 days
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    doh i put him in the oven and gassed him after whacking him around the head a for a while. he just wouldn't die. really horrfiying as normally I don't even kill flies.

This happened to me before years ago whilst fruit picking down south. Bird hit our side window but was still alive.
    landed in our car back seat. My mate dan put it out of its misery as he was the only one brave enough.
    kind of flicked its head to break its neck

Justin - don't worry abou it man, its a tough thing to do
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    lol, you gassed a bird? No BB gun laying around?