Home General Discussion

more power to my rig....

hi guys...um upgrading my pc and where else to ask for info other than the pros

i got a couple of options, can someone assist me please.
first one, i7, problem is you can only have 8 cores, but how fast is the i7 really

second option, xeon chips, there i can add 2 x the processing power, but is it slower than single processing power. Should i rather buy this? (16 cores)

Last option.
Tesla C1060, this card is a extention card you put into your pci express slot, that adds 240 cores to your raw processing power. The thing is, what if i buy this card and my 3d application cant use it or is too much.

What to do, not sure. But any suggestions is welcome to help me pimp my rig to a speedboat. I do not have farm facilities, so best wish is probably option 3, then 2 then 1 in procesisng. But again,how fast is the i7 chips really. :poly124:

Replies

• CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    i really wouldn't bother with the tesla. if your gona get the i7 means a new motherboard and RAM, which is also true for the xeon setup =new motherboard and RAM. Xeon could also mean new power supply depending on what power supply you already have
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Unless you are using this as a render machine [I don't render at all anymore, just do real time viewport shaders] the i7 should do you just fine. In some tests the cheapest i7 is faster than the most expensive Core2Quad. Xenon is not worth it and neither is the Tesla. An i7 and 4-8 gigs of ram on a 64bit OS will be more power than you should need, providing you are just doing the standard game art and PC gaming. Add in a beast graphics card and you should be flying high my friend.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I can't see the need in the Tesla. That things is very expensive. If you've got that sort of money lying around, forget about the Tesla and get a motherboard that supports 24GB RAM and go for the Kingston HyperX 4GB sticks.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    hahaha I honestly dont think you need to fret over this. I would go with the i7 and 4-8gb of ram like cody said.

honestly anything more is only excess unless you are doing some mad sculpting like the epic dudes. remember: money saved can be spent on coke and hookers! :P and having a super rig doesnt enlarge your manhood......believe me ive tried.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    hi guys...um upgrading my pc and where else to ask for info other than the pros

i got a couple of options, can someone assist me please.
    first one, i7, problem is you can only have 8 cores, but how fast is the i7 really

second option, xeon chips, there i can add 2 x the processing power, but is it slower than single processing power. Should i rather buy this? (16 cores)

Last option.
    Tesla C1060, this card is a extention card you put into your pci express slot, that adds 240 cores to your raw processing power. The thing is, what if i buy this card and my 3d application cant use it or is too much.

What to do, not sure. But any suggestions is welcome to help me pimp my rig to a speedboat. I do not have farm facilities, so best wish is probably option 3, then 2 then 1 in procesisng. But again,how fast is the i7 chips really. :poly124:

Only 8 cores! How will we manage to make do with so little?! :p

The cheapo i7 920 chip rocks for a desktop solution. It's a fraction of what the Xeons cost with strong performance. I've got one with 12gb and easily render million-poly scenes in seconds.

If you're into something that require epic amounts of rendering, you're likely better off spending the money on additional systems to use as a farm than trying to create the machine of the gods. At the very least, that gives you the flexibility to use the hardware for different purposes, rather than turning your whole investment into an otherwise unusable space heater while it renders out Transformers 3 or what have you.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    I don't know what he wants to do with this machine...an i7 is more than enough for normal game production, but baking lightmaps with it is a pain in the ass!

for lightmaps i woudl always try to get a small farm ..
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    PEOPLE, STOP RECOMMENDING 4-8 GIGS OF RAM!!!

The i7 works best in units of 3, so 3, 6, 9, or 12 gigs of ram would work best.

Get a cheap i7 920 and a nice motherboard and overclock the hell out of it. It has 4 cores and 4 virtual cores, so its basally 8 threaded, and if you get it up to 4 ghz (I heard its pretty easy) you'll out preform dual quadcore rigs that people spent thousands on for a fraction of the price.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Your mom works best in units of 3.
  • silver_shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi guys, thanx for the excellent info. Im going for the i7, Intel® Boxed Core™ i7 Extreme 975 Processor - 3.33GHz Quad Core with ddr3 12 gig of ram, just need to get n cool screen card and then im buying. Yea i had a long thought and decided this is the one.
    Cant wait yay!!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    How much are you spending on it?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »

Get a cheap i7 920 and a nice motherboard and overclock the hell out of it. It has 4 cores and 4 virtual cores, so its basally 8 threaded, and if you get it up to 4 ghz (I heard its pretty easy) you'll out preform dual quadcore rigs that people spent thousands on for a fraction of the price.
    Said the guy that burned out his proc in 3mo. All parts have a lifespan at some point they all reach zero survivablity. Death comes faster if you push them harder. Which if its not that much of a gain, dial it back and let it live longer.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know seems like mega overkill to me. You can build a machine for less then $1000 that will get the job done just fine. Or better yet build a nice 1k machine and buy a 21inch Cintque. Or make a down payment on a 2010 EVO MR...lol.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Vig wrote: »
    Said the guy that burned out his proc in 3mo. All parts have a lifespan at some point they all reach zero survivablity. Death comes faster if you push them harder. Which if its not that much of a gain, dial it back and let it live longer.

Most people that use computers for CGI stuff buy a computer every 2-3 years, you can build a great computer for 1.5k, the i7 920 is only $200 bucks
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0302727

65% faster- risking that your $200 investment might burn out in 5 years, not that big of a deal to me, IMO.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They normally become unstable first. Normally when one dies after a history of being a buggy little bastard. Some of the microscopic channels you're slamming might be able to handle the added stress but others might go faster. But we're talking about such subtle differences you'll never know which one is a weak one until it blows.

You're also forgetting about the added cost of the extra life support you need to keep it cool.

I'm not saying don't over clock. But only do it if you know the risks and think the gain is worth it. Don't be surprised when it glitches out and dies a quick death. The idea that you can just OC and walk away with no risk is a bad position to be in.

Also don't be fooled by crazy ass benchmarks designed to magnify very subtle differences. It's probably a good idea to OC, test it out and if you don't see a difference turn it down a bit.

Not all procs from the same line are equal. Some will burn out faster than others, as to which ones that is, its kind of a gamble. They do test them before sending them out and give them a rating, most of the time you're not privy to that info when you buy so you have no idea how long a particular proc is going last.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Keep in mind that alot of 3d apps arent that well multithreaded for use with processors like the i7 (3dsmax). You will get a shit ton of power in the rendering but in the viewport mosty things will be restricted to one thread.... I fairly often get system grinding lag on 13% processor usage.

(thanks to the guys that cleared this up for me in tech talk.)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    a decent heat sink is ~$70, I wouldn't suggest water cooling to anyone. And if you can get the same performance as a $1,000 processor for $200 its worth the risk IMO. If you don't know what your doing with computers, its probably not a smart idea, and make sure you have a back up PC if rely on your PC for work and your OCing.

Here's a look at mental ray + the i7's http://www.3dspeedmachine.com/News/i7/i7review.htm
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Cojax wrote: »
    Or make a down payment on a 2010 EVO MR...lol.
    YEAH!!! Some sense!!

Ram is cheap, fill it up. You can do 16 gigs for $500 bucks. You can make a sweet machine for $1400.

i7, decent mobo (Asus is my fav), BFG 285, fill it to the max with ram, 2x 1.5TB HDD's, 800W PSU and a SFF case. Grab the Scythe CPU cooler with a good low profile fan, a BD burner if you want and bam. Oh and buy Win7 64.
  • silver_shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanx guys for the info on overclocking and what is better to go buy. I am budgeting for around 2k and can only upgrade now and wont be able to do that for a long time. One can get a lot done when you have a low spec machine, i got a dual core 3.4 and 2 gig ram, so rendering takes ages. Probably my biggest problem, but modelling on it is fine. So i thought crack up everything (not overclocking - my theory is that it sometimes is just better for the long run to keep it as it was built) and buy this mega upgrade and it will last me for quite some time. Rendering would be awesoe. Lamont said i should get windows 7 64 bit. How compatible is windows 7 with the older applications. Anyway, i guess that is prob the same as vista and how it works with xp applications.
    Thanx again for all the info. Best website ever to ask for help!!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Dude you can make a sick machine with 2k... you already have a monitor/mouse/kb/OS right?
  • silver_shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have a 26 inch sony screen, cool keyboard and mouse, got a 8600 gt screen card, but i recon that is not too important, or is it if you have a system like this. I have a 32 bit os so i want to get a new one that is 64 bit, but then, would it be vista, win 7 or xp . Of course xp is cheaper, but for how long will this still be on the market lol. So all i am upgrading is the ram, cpu and mobo, and spend go max on that.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    here, really quick, under 2g's and will be a demon (Free upgrade to Win7 64):

quick_rig.jpg
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message

True, we've been on the dual-channel wagon for so long, we forget it's triple channel for these..
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Lamont wrote: »
    here, really quick, under 2g's and will be a demon (Free upgrade to Win7 64):

quick_rig.jpg

save $70 bucks and get a 920 here http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0302727
    If you have a store by you.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    save $70 bucks and get a 920 here http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0302727
    If you have a store by you.
    I'd rather not pay sales tax. Cross ref what you have local. If it's cheaper, get it, big things, you might have to order. As some store might not do a price break on them. But take that list around and see what you can find. Cuz there is cheaper ram I saw.
  • silver_shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can i ask you guys one thing, probably the last thing. Should one go and buy a super fast 1gb screen card, or is less ok. I looked at your suggestion and you got me hooked. But with this extreme cpu, would you really see the differ if you have a slightly lower card for much cheaper and compare it with each other even playing games, would you really see the big difference in performance?
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Faster cards are good for more than games. I know that CS4 loves these cards with the OGL stuff now. I use Badaboom to encode video (uses the GPU) and on my old card it was about 120FPS to process a DVD to mp4, with the 285 it's like 540fps. Games are nothing on this card.

More video memory is always better.
  • silver_shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i got this card..a bit lower spec, do you think this card will kick ass? i know its a GTS card

EVGA e-GeForce GTS 250 1GB - 256-bit, 756MHz Clock, 1024MB 256-bit 0.8ns GDDR3 Memory 2200MHz, 128 Stream Processors, 1836MHz Shader Clock, Integrated nVidia TV Encoder, Dual DVI-I Connectors, 70.4GB / s Memory Bandwidth, PCIe 2.0, 2 Year Warranty
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Get duel monitors. I can not live with out duel monitors. I assume you model...so having that second screen for UV's is amazing.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Cojax wrote: »
    Get duel monitors. I can not live with out dual monitors. I assume you model...so having that second screen for UV's is amazing.
    And get a fat videocard to work it. Too many apps running OGL, running at dual 1920x1200 and high res images will make you run out of video memory quick, causing dialogue boxes/prompts/windows/menu's not to open or textures/geometry/shaders not to show up.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Second the dual monitors comment. You can get two 19"-21" monitors for the same or less than one 24"-26". I have an Acer at work and home, and love them.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    perna wrote: »
    Haha, all these replies and you never even said what you're going to use the computer for.
    The fail is epic.
    Obviously render is a concern, re-read the posts.
    "Rendering would be awesoe."

Faster processors are always good for 3D apps.
  • silver_shadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a second screen (19 inch) for my textures and other windows elements. I am building this pc because i want to get into animation and more hardcore 3d. Currently learning Modo 401 and love it a lot. Easy and fun. I have this issue when i'm modelling and taking stuff to other 3d applications and it really kills the program, making it slow ect because it was not originally drawn in that program, so i am also hoping this will make it accept other foreign geometry from different applications easier. I tried to import something simple from 3ds to Vue 7 and once i got it in there, the geometry was like a dinosaur to work with, you move the stuff, wait 5 seconds and it moves, so i kinda hope this machine will handle these things much better. Hey i know i got a slow machine, but its a known fact things run in a program better if its drawn from scratch in the program you want to do your final stuff in.