Home Technical Talk

Max 9 missing mental ray .dll's

Hey guys, it's LoM Chaos. I've been researching a utility scene which is very crucial to my indie game team's graphical asset pipeline.
Here is the utility :
http://www.metaplace.com/wiki/index.php/How_Metaplace_Makes_Art
It basically renders sprites from an image using a certain scene set up.

Any ideas?
n5ple1.png

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    We create the art by using 3D Studio MAX 2009. For those of you who are wanting to produce art that can match the presentation of ours, we have provided the community with a 3D Studio MAX 2009 camera and lights scene.
    Me thinks that ^ might have something to do with it...

With that said I don't see why you can't recreate it in 9. It's been a while since I cracked open 9 but I think the materials they used are available, just older versions.

Not really ground breaking stuff that you would need a specific file for. They just applied a AO reflect/refact material to the model and did an extra pass. Its a pretty standard pass, you might want to also research Z depth mask, it can add quite a bit too if used correctly, but that's more for entire scenes with a lot of depth, might not add much to single objects.
  • Taylor Hood
    It's pretty much a one click solution. I think it has the ability to disable anti aliasing and such. It has what we need.

How can I find the dll's? :/
  • MattW
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    The glare shader isn't available in max 9. That's a max 2009 file. I don't know if you'll be able to load those dlz's but I'm pretty sure you can't. Like vig said, you're going to end up having to rebuild that from their provided OBJ or 3DS if you're stuck with max 9. But honestly I don't know what you think that file is but there's nothing special about it. It's just some lights, a camera, and a ground plane.