Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

dudes - wip

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
i've been trying to play diablo 2, but then wish it were diablo 3 and so i end up working on these DUDES. i've based them off of rock, scissors, and paper. i think about them often.

while working on these, i think about one thing and one thing only. how the fuck does paper beat rock!? no wai man. how? even using the term "defend" doesn't help. paper can't defend against rock... !! shit my pants, that doesn't make any damn sense, DUDES.

DUDES_00.jpg

DUDES_01.jpg

Replies

• zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    The idea is very interesting.
    Paper, being a magician, uses SCROLLS and BOOKS to his advantage, and can beat the brute strength of Rock, but gets cut into bits by the swift Scissor.
    The thing that is lacking now in the concepts is the definition of Paper, Rock and Scissors.
    Seeing as you are already on the road to stylized-characterville, adding some ridiculous items to them would not hurt.
    Rock could use armor, with bits of rock attached to him, and a big club to smash things with, also made of rock, or a jagged bit of stone as a sword.
    Paper needs more books, scrolls and runes. Now he is just an old man.
    Scissors can get a second sword, or something that says "cut" even more. Take a look at Katanas, Naginatas, Ninjatos.

tl;dr connect the written ideas with the characters.
    </art director>
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Woah thats a big ass......mmhmmm

loving the sculpt. Abit more refining and BOOM.
    Cannot wait :D
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    BULDGE!!!!!!

:P like the sculpt so far man, (ignoring the buldge) he looks like his holding his breath or sucking in his gut a bit is all. That concept for scissors looks badass, hope you get onto him soon.

i'd prolly agree with zenarion as well, you could push the characterisation (that the word?) by literally adding some rock paper and... well maybe not scissors, scissorse dude already looks pretty tight imo :P
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would hate for this to go cheesy with miss placed items. I think the necklace with the rock is a nice touch and maybe a rock weapon. I agree about scissors, hes awesome. and if you choose to go with a wizard for paper maybe under his rob have like pieces of paper flowing out or something magical (I think i saw a blue magic card kinda like this)
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    looks good. i've been passed diablo 2 too, recently.
    now what? i love that thug)
    big guy is good so far, but why did you sculpt those fingers instead of separating?
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    also, he have woman briest, is that specially?
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    this is so cool! I really want to see the 3 of them!

paper beats rock by covering him, like his eyes, then rock freaks out blind and bashs himself to death, possibly while stepping on scissors.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Paper just needs to cast "super freaking cold" on the iron codpiece.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    ahaha Nice nice, I love where the mesh is going. And I totally love the little ninja dude and the old douche. NICE i wanna MODEL THEM ALL
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    lol bulge.
    and bees! the bees nipples.
    *reeeewwwwaahhhhhtttthrrouu rouur roururrooooo*
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    cankles.

cool idea :) gogogo!
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Love the designs, especially for the big dude. It is retro-fresh
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    haha!

Thats badass. I wanna see a walk / run cycle on the rock. Should be killer. :thumbup:
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    That barbarian has some serious groin protection! The designs are highly appealing in a minimalist way, and that I like.

You know the 1.13 patch is due soon!! :poly142:
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i disagree completely with zenarion

if you start adding rock nipples and novelty-sized scissor glasses i'm going to hurl a bottle at your nuts. These dudes are the personification of an idea, not fucking LARPers.

is that - did you make a body hair brush?

hot loots, man
  • Alec3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the idea! What's the deal with the giant spiked club on his pelvis?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    what do you think rock is referring to alec?:poly142:

"the hammer.... is my penis"

Looking good dude.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warrior_00.jpg

warrior's crab-dragon tattoo:
    Warrior_02.jpg
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovin' the sculpt. Perhaps the deltoid/collar bone area is a little concave?
    But I like how you sculpted the arms and buttocks!
    Class.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    tattoo makes sense, this guy is pretty crabcore 24/7
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are pretty cool.

It is assumed that the aggressor is the only one in action. The loser has resigned himself to his fate and accepts it. No one said rocks where smart.

Rock breaks scissors. (why doesn't scissors move out of the way, its more agile than rock?)
    Scissors cut paper. (why doesn't paper fold itself into a paper plane, catch an up draft and fly out of scissors reach? Or better yet allow itself to be cut many times and take scissors down with numbers?)
    Paper covers rock, rock is powerless to remove paper. (Rock wishes it had opposable thumbs... or rain.)

but I like zenarion's idea about paper representing magic.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    This is looking really nice KP. It's kind of creeping me out how he's looking at me in the textured version though, lol.
  • BigHoss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's coming along nicely KP. Brad is right though, didn't notice it till he mentioned it, but it is kinda creepy how he's looking at the camera.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Beast! Loving it KP.

Mezz-Nice Captain Hammer reference. I just watched that for like the 15th time last night.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, i'm going to be working on the hipoly armor tonight, for a few hours, i'm thinking for about 6 hours tonight; wondering if anyone wants watch me work?

if you do, download mikogo:
    http://www.mikogo.com/en/

i've never had more than two people logged into a mikogo meeting, but i'd like to see how it works with more than one person logged into a single meeting. i don't know if it's the best screen share app out there, it's definitely rough around the edges, but i've been using it for a good number of months now to show people stuff or be shown stuff, etc. i'd like to try and do this more often if it works out, and maybe we can try different softwares out, depending on stuff.

i'm not sure how great the performance will be with more than one user, so bare with it, it's just an experiment. also, my computer is crappy, i'm hoping to get a new one asap, so you'll have to get frustrated waiting for menus with me and you can't really communicate with me while i work, unless you drop me an IM or something while i'm working, but don't bug me... i'm trying to work you jerk! maybe you can learn something by a watching me work? or better yet, maybe you can show me a better way of working, afterward! ;)

i'll post the meeting number up in a few minutes, and then you can join and view my screen as i work. in the meantime, install the prog. i'm going to set up the meeting so you can only see my actions in 3ds max, in case my mom IM's me about something embarrassing or something and, i should warn, i'm a smoker again, so my mouse my die for about 10 minutes randomly as i've gone afk.

... brb ...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meeting ID: 208-102-789

if nobody joins in 15 minutes, it automatically shutsdown, i'll start a new one if that happens and repost the meeting ID.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    needs more dong
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    This is pretty cool KP, but this prog definitely needs some sort of chat function so we can harass you while you work :poly124:
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    rad, it's totally working. you need to model the dong under the codpiece to get the shapes right tho, like zero said.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    haha, this is cool! Hey It's probably somethign dead simple, but how come your symetry modifier shows the results while your in edit poly mode? Mine only shows up when I select the symetry modifier or higher on the stack. I assumed thats just the way it was! :P
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    "show end result" in the stack options..

kickass characters my likey alot! reminds me of dungeon party!
  • Lion`I
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loving the belt on his shoulders so far :D
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks to people that spent the time to download the app and try it out, i think i counted 4 or 5 people that had trickled in and out to check it out. the meeting had just timed-out, as nobody was in there for 15 minutes, so don't bother installing mikogo, unless you want to jump in next time. i'll try to do it more if people are interested in watching me work. -peace

fearian,
    as StefanH said. it's the little test-tube icon.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Woulda loved to check this out, but damn this timezone difference (at work). I'll be first in line if you do this again on a weekend. :)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's where i'm at with the hipoly armor. still some to do, but not much more to go now:
    Warrior_05.jpg

random idea for the teeth. the font will be too small, but if i do decide to make a mouth, you'll definately see 7 gold teeth and you'll know what he's say'n:
    Warrior_06.jpg
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    "funk you"
    i can dig it. jive space mammajamma!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    "Rock "needs to be holding a huge ass bolder over his head that he uses to crush the other guy.

"rock" vs "paper"
    "rock" moves in to drop the bolder on "paper", "paper" reads one of his scrolls that turns "rock" into a scrawny weakling, the bolder hes holding then drops and he splatters.

"rock" vs "scissors"
    "rock" moves in to drop the bolder on "scissors", "scissors" pulls out his sword and slices at "rock" to no avail until "rock" drops the bolder on "scissors" who splatters.

"scissors" vs "paper"
    "paper" starts reading on of his scrolls as "scissors" runs at him and cuts him in half in explosion of blood before he finishes.

That would be fun to play.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey DUDES, i need help on two things, your feedback would be appreciated, if you'd be so awesome.

1. the shoulder strap

so! i didn't really think it out very much in the concept, i left it for now to figure out. if you look, ROCK has this big fucking belt strapped around his shoulder. and it actually makes very little sense and kinda looks awkward. it's basically supposed to be a strap for weapon. i plan on giving this guy a number of animations, i want to give him the full treatment, so i need a solution that will work for him and won't fuck with shoulder movement. what should i do with it you think?

take a look at the strap and also the loops on the lowpoly base geo below, and help me out; tell me how you'd go about making it work, or any other approach you'd use and i'll give you a cock massage.

Warrior_07.jpg

Warrior_08.jpg

Warrior_09.jpg

2. armor arrangements

okay, i'll probably make him 1 or 2 more sets of armor and i'd like to imagine i'm making it to spec for a game that swaps out different peices of armor. i want to know, what's the best way of setting up the armor for this type of system?

so, we have this set of armor, call it set A, and i'll make a second, set B and then set C would be the third and so on.

what are the different approaches for game character systems like these, aimed to cut back on draw calls, textures, ect, making it more efficient? how would i plan for something like this? is there a smart way to give a character the helmet from set A, leggings from set B, and gloves from set C, and still make it one draw call?

i'd like to try breaking the weapons and armor down further, so that the hilts, pummels, handles, and blades, etc could be swapped and still count as one draw call. ever worked or know how you'd work with a system like this?

plx lern me, thx
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I guess if you want em all to be one draw call, they`re going to need to share the same texture. I`m pretty sure its that simple-but I could be wrong.

Also I don't know if it necessarily needs to make sense 100% as far as the strap thing goes. I mean I guess it could make the attachment to a strap on his back which holds a sheath for the sword. that connects to the belt at the bottom. I think you could drop the shoulder pad on, then try and wrap the strap around it. you could probably still make it look close to the concept.

When ever I need to stress some tricky strap placement I usually loft the strap, and control the orientation of its face alignment with the twist drop down in the loft parameters. Kind of a hack, but intresting to dick around with. (or if you have polyboost that polystrip draw is the sheeeit for makin straps)

I think with the proportions your rockin I`d say you could get away with some wacky straps.

some pretty fun ideas up in HUR.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slowly moving forward on this dude's highpoly armor on the back-burner heat.

Warrior_10.jpg

i'm still uncertain with what i'd like to do with the weapon strap / collar piece, i may combine them, which is why i haven't sculpted them here. sculpting is hard, ugh. new computer in two days! hopefully that will help. ;)
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    Sculpting is REALLY frustrating when it's all slow and laggy. That said, this doesn't look like you had too much trouble!

I think the sculpting is reading a little like rock over everything though. The leather boots are one place where I want more curvy lines (at those flarey parts at the top especially). Also, what are those things made of holding the wrist guards (proper name is eluding me) and the shoulder pieces? It could also be worth your while to play with some fluffy alphas on the rump, for some humorous contrast.

On that note, maybe you could have some fluffiness coming out of the shoulders and arm areas. That stone would really hurt after a while!
    ^scratch that you have leather areas underneath

It might need a little refinement, but looking sweet....
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    the teeth! looks great Kp, maybe make the fingers a little more obviously separate, a little keyline in the diffuse or sculpt up a bit more there. I think just sticking all the armour bits on one texture sheet would be the best way to keep things efficient
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    reaaly nice. muscled guy is cool
  • BuCC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like your stuff KP.

In sweden the game isn't called "rock, paper, scissors", but "rock, bag, scissors", so I assume the bag captures the rock. Hope that helps out in designing the paper character. Maybe paper is using magical seals that rock can't escape once he stepped in them?