Home General Discussion

MOVIE: The Hurt Locker

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19

Has anyone seen this? Jay Evans and I are headed there to see it after work tonight. Tinseltown in Vancouver if any one else is interested. 730PM start time.

It's a safe bet to anyone who hasn't seen the movie that there'll be spoilers from here on out. Read on at your own risk.

Replies

• I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    yeah its awesome!
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw this at this year's SIFF. Pretty good. A little long in the tooth, but a solid picture.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    Has anyone seen this? Jay Evans and I are headed there to see it after work tonight. Tinseltown in Vancouver if any one else is interested. 730PM start time.

It's a safe bet to anyone who hasn't seen the movie that there'll be spoilers from here on out. Read on at your own risk.

Pay special attention to the ending and what the monologue given says and how they do the camera cuts. You'll want to assume one thing, but after careful consideration you'll realize that he meant something entirely different...
    and possibly far more depressing
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    watched this a while back, its pretty awesome. felt similar to generation kill in some parts, which is awesome, not a standard action flick.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I just saw the preview a few days ago, can't wait to see it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Illusions wrote: »
    Pay special attention to the ending and what the monologue given says and how they do the camera cuts. You'll want to assume one thing, but after careful consideration you'll realize that he meant something entirely different...
    and possibly far more depressing

Er.. that
    the one thing he loves is his army duties?
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought it was pretty great, atleast visually. That sniper battle was awesome. A treat for the eyes and with some nerve-wrecking scenarios. Less so for the character relationships (after the hideous Jarhead, though, this was a revelation) Props also to the main guy's acting. Good too in the sense that you could never be sure who would live and who wouldn't. In the end I thought it had it's own angle, and I can buy that, though I struggled to see how it's somehow "pro-war" or "propagandist" as some critics seem to have said. Sigh, critics, can't they just enjoy the splendour of dust blowing off a distant vehicle in a shockwave?
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    There are critics calling it pro-war? That's mad. It's about as pro-war as Generation Kill, if anything.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    Er.. that
    the one thing he loves is his army duties?
    Yes that...I originally thought he was talking about his kid, up until they did the cut straight to him having re-enlisted in another year long tour of duty as a bomb tech
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yea, it was actually pretty heavy handed. If I had one critique it would be the ending of the movie was completely detached from the rest of the film in its "typical hollywood ending". It was even filmed differently, it seems. :\
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed, the very end seemed almost a bit outta place, loved the sniper battle, the unexpected bomb vest ending, the supermarket. All awesome scenes.
  • BigHoss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll have to look for this the next time I'm at the rental store. Looks kinda cool.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    So I finally caught this yesterday, and I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed.

I was hoping for something more like Blackhawk Down or Generation Kill. And I do NOT mean more action. Throughout the whole movie, I didn't give a shit about any of the characters. BHD which had like, 3 times the # of main characters, was able to make me care about each and every one, (same with Gen Kill, though they had 8 hours to do it).

I was just uninterested in them as people.
    Also, while the actual bomb squad bits were very cool, the non-bomb squad action bits (sniping battle, alley chase, etc.) were lackluster. The sniper battle annoyed me because here are these bomb techs, who, while having gone through basic training, are NOT professional snipers, who show up, and take over sniping duties for a group of apparent Brittish spec ops who SHOULD be trained in proper sniping. James goes out of the base, on his own, still wearing BDU pants, and invades someone's house?! WTF? That was retarded, as was later, when the 3 of them decide to storm 3 separate alleys, by themselves. . .

by the end I was checking my watch every 15 minutes or so, which is never a good sign.

Not a horrible movie, definitely some good parts, but overall, kind of disappointing.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    some really good scenes in this movie, the connection to the three main characters was a bit lost tho between the action-bits. 7/10 on my scale.
  • Marcus Dublin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    I finally caught this yesterday and enjoyed it from beginning to end. I'm not sure what it's like to be in the military but the banter between the soldiers felt genuine. The action scenes were well shot, paced, and edited. They really made you feel like you were in the thick of things and what it's like to be in those situations.

All in all this was a terrific piece of cinema and it's on my premature best of 2009 list. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for something with a bit more substance and heart.