Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Punked Ent

Hey guys,
Doing a piece for the Creature and Critters competition on CGcoach and thought it wouldn't hurt to post it up here and see what you all think of it.
For the contest you are required to come up with a story concept and high poly model. The wining model will be print in 3d by Moddler.com, so the model must be very high poly to avoid any faceting in the print and all piece must be closed and function correctly.

Anyway here is the story;

There once was vast and beautiful world that was inhabited by a great society of scholars and gardeners. The planet once had vast gardens that stretched on for many thousands of miles in all directions. In the middle of each garden was a small but striking city which consisted mostly of libraries and laboratories.
For millennium the gardeners and the scholars worked together to create many technological wonders that aided them in their daily routines. They created a wide variety of mechanical and biological creatures that were each specifically designed to do a single task. As time went on the inhabitants got lazy because they had created a 'thing' to do all their daily work, leaving them with nothing to do.
As the years went on the laziness turned to boredom and eventually to anger. That's when the riots broke out and suddenly the whole planet was at war. There were no clear sides to this war, it was basically every individual fighting for the sake of fighting, mainly because there was nothing better to do.
When the fighting stopped and the smoke cleared there was little left of the cities and the inhabitants. For those that did survive they found themselves alone and lost in vast gardens. Since they had created something to do all their work for them very few knew how to live and survive in the vast expanses of the gardens.
Every one of the inhabitants simply faded away into nothing. All that remained was the vast gardens and the wide variety of mechanical and biological creatures the inhabitants had created.
Many of these creatures continued doing what they were designed to do and eventually broke down or wore out. Many, though, were designed so well that they self repaired and were built to produce their own energy, so they could effectively live forever.
Over the course of many more millennium the creatures began to evolve in interesting ways. Many simply merged with their biological counterparts, while many others learned how to reprogram themselves. This led to rise of The Gardener.
The Gardener was the first to become self aware and soon after doing so he seized control of all the others. He merged his roots with the roots of every plant in the garden which gave him the ability to reach and control every living thing on the planet.
At first The Gardener was cruel and destructive, mainly because he didn't know any better. He was like high energy insomniac infant that had been let loose in a toy store with no supervision and no threat of any kind. Many of the his subjects, plant and creature alike, perished because of his childish ways. This brought on the invasion, because there were so many dead that The Gardener lost the ability to reach and control the entire planet. There were vast gaps in his network and in these gaps the insects festered and multiplied. At first they fed on the dead and dying left behind, but eventually they had grown in numbers to the point that they devoured all of the dead and dying and began eating what was left of the living.
Before the Gardener even knew it most of the plants and creature had been devoured by the vast numbers of carnivorous insects. In a last ditch effort to survive the attack The Gardener miraculously produced and released a toxic pollen that quickly eradicated the invading hordes. But the damage had been done and a dark gloom enveloped the world for many centuries to come after that. Eventually the light succeeded in breaking through the gloom and re-awakened The Gardener.
Plant by plant, creature by creature he began reconstructing his world. Since almost everything was wiped out he had to create everything from scratch and from memory. He created small clones of himself and used those as a base to create all the other living things on the planet. It took many thousands of years for him to rebuild and reconstruct the world and much of it could not be restored so it was replaced by something of his own design.
Now a days he resides over his strange and beautiful world like a benevolent caretaker He strives to keep everything balanced and in complete harmony with everything else, but he is very lonely. There's not likely to ever be another like him that he could share his world with, and he knows that. Unless....

And the concept...

Gardener1.jpg

I started with modeling one of the "clones" he will be tending to on the base.

clone1.jpg

And here is the start to the main piece mesh.

Basemesh.jpg

Replies

• JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    This seems like a really cool idea! :)

digging the second image.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx JFletcher
    Did a bit more on the main piece. Added an engine compartment and some pipes. Liked the compartment idea from Wester's vespa and decided to do something similar here. Going to make it so you can see the engine inside the compartment and there will be another pipe that leads up to the other exhaust in the branches.
    Basemesh1.jpgBasemesh2.jpg
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update. Added in some more detail on the engine compartment, pipes and started on his arm. Going to continue more on the arms and slowly start working into sculpting the body more. any cc welcome thx.

engine_andarm1.jpg

engine_andarm2.jpg

engine_andarm3.jpg
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well got a quite a bit more of the base mesh done, but still got a lot to do yet. The big gear and springs will be integrated into a panel in his back. Still got to work on rest of the arm and then the branches before adding more paneling to his body. Hope you like it so far. So far this guy is shaping up to be my most challenging model in a long time. Been doing organic characters for so long, I forgot alot of the mechanical modeling techniques so having to relearn as I go, but enjoying every minute of it so far.

backgearphase1.jpg

Another angle of the back gear. Took me quite a while to get my initials integrated into the mesh but turned out pretty good in the end.

back2gearphase1.jpg

a little on the face, but has a long ways to go. I intend to include a bird nest inside his eye there, but havent got to that yet.

facephase1.jpg

Some of the piping work so far.

leftsidephase1.jpg

rightsidephase1.jpg

Added a tractor cap to his smoke stack in his branches.

smokestackphase1.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    nice execution but odd designs

I have not read your story because its to long but the design has to many different types of elements and each with a different style so that all in all the whole design looks inconsistent to me.
    Also density wise there are some elements that are rather tiny and very small whereas other parts are big in surface and don not offer complexity at all. But maybe some things will resolve as you progress
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well perhaps some of that comes from the fact that I started with such an organic shape and am trying to integrate in mechanical pieces. I have found this to be very challenging. Its also a long ways from done, many of those large pieces, like the tree body, will have a lot more added to it by the end. Hopefully it will unify more as I progress. Any suggestions on making sure it does?
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well after much though, i decided that you were right and the model and the design really weren't working and completely lacked in expression and style. So I went back to the drawing board and came up with a new design. Found a couple pieces of art online and kind of fused them together to get what I wanted. I think overall this design will be much better and more expressive. What do you think?
    Now I just need to model it by the deadline

oldentbot1.jpg
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think he needs more mechanical pieces to him...

Keep it up!
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey zach! More mechanical huh? Perhaps but really trying to get nice balance between the two. I am likely to throw in more mechanical details as I model, but don't want to go overboard.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well have been working like mad on this guy and I think it is progressing nicely so far. Still a lot to do yet though and very limited amount of time to get it done.
    To do yet;
    For the base mesh I need to finish modeling the steam punk computer he is hooked into and Stitch in the eyepiece to the main mesh to make it watertight. Also think I may need to make the leaves thicker as they appear like they would be pretty delicate if this was printed.
    Then its on to detailing the bark, the base and some of the mechanical pieces.
    I hope this one is shaping up to have more style and appeal then the previous model. Any C&C at this point would be very helpful. :)

AlmostThere.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    that little flower dude is rockin'
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the flower dude huh..lol i guess...he is not part of the current composition. If there is a good place for him on the base I'll include him but not planning on it.