Home Technical Talk

Help: Werid coloured polys on export from Modo-Max

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mr GetDown polycounter lvl 18
Ye, I exported a model from max to modo then back and now the model has some random colored polygons. What's going on? It doesn't seem to be vertex shading or a texture so what else is there?

weirdness.th.jpg

Deteaching the mesh to a new object fixes it but I'm still interested to know where the information was comming from?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Possibly from the obj import settings or maybe the way it was exported?

I'm not sure if those are inside out, some look to be gradients? If you click the object, then right click and turn on back face culling do they disappear? If that's the case then you need to flip them either in edit poly > poly mode > select and flip. Or via a script (I think one is up on scriptspot.com).

Make sure there aren't two polys sharing the same space.

Also weld verts with a really low threashold and set your smoothing groups 1.

but since you figured out a way to fixes it, I guess you're lucky =)
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first guess would be that it IS the vertex normals getting messed up by Modo. It's one of the few things that I dislike about Modo is that it handles smoothing groups very poorly.

Are you using obj to move your models back and forth between Max and Modo? And if so, when you import your model into Modo are you deleting the "vert_normals" in the "Other Maps" section under the Lists tab for each mesh layer?

That was one of the first things that really messed me up when I first started to use Modo and was bringing in previously made models.

Also if you are using the stock obj importer/exporter that shipped with Modo 401 there is a replacement script available that fixes up some issues.

Get it here:

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=36075

If you are using Modo 302 there's a script for baking vertex normals get it here:

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=33370&show=vertex%20normals%20script
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go to Lists \ Other Maps, then delete what's in there. like, Surface Normal
    Might work