Home General Discussion

Applying for positions outside your country

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
Ive been applying to junior positions outside Canada and have had a lot of emails from the companies stating that because I am from Canada they cannot hire me or that I would have to apply to a visa myself and then re-apply for the position?

Should i just stick to companies in Canada then or is there another way to apply to jobs outside your country?

thanks in advance :poly122:

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Stay in Canada, the more talent the better :P
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    I'd honestly much rather work in Canada from what I've heard and read...especially in Vancouver. Wish I could switch places with ya :-)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    NyneDown wrote: »
    I'd honestly much rather work in Canada from what I've heard and read...especially in Vancouver. Wish I could switch places with ya :-)

I would too but due to the rather increasing trend of cuts coming out of Vancouver it is harder and harder to find any junior positions.

I never get responses from companies if i apply for anything but a junior position sadly and there are not a lot of those in the Vancouver area :poly127:
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    OuCh...I feel your pain. It's tough for us peeps trying to land that first job.

Have you tried applying for any out sourcing companies? If you can get in, some of that experience will probably increase your chances later on at a studio in the US. I've tried that route myself but havent had any luck with it.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Ya, it's a pain in the ass to hire someone from Canada down here. So, unless they are insanely talented, it's usually not worth it. Sorry. Good luck with the hunt up there.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, even if they are insanely talented, its very hard to get a work visa. Unless you happen to be a dual citizen living in another country and are qualified to work in the US.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    I think its just as bad elsewhere, there is probably a taste of semantics in their reply as well. Rather than saying we dont have jobs for you, they might bring up the citizen thing. Dont worry Vancouver / Montreal will open up again soon, and you have talent so dont worry, just push a little farther! Stay positive and dont give up on the frozen north just yet!

EDIT: tell them you dont mind contracting from home!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah i just finished sendng out a bunch of emails to companies in Canada hopefully some of them will bite :P

I was hoping to get a job elsewhere but i guess do to my lack of experience i wont be able to do that.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    One should always look into the immigration requirements for the country you're applying to just to make sure you're qualified to immigrate. The states require a degree or 3 years work experience and a diploma to even be considered for a visa. I believe the UK is similar as well.

I am back getting my degree specifically so I have the option of going elsewhere. I know it's not a guarantee, but that silly peice of paper opens many more doors.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    The US also requires that the immigrant bring some sort of talent that CAN NOT be found in the states. While that's pushed a lot, it's still there, and hard to overcome.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    The US also requires that the immigrant bring some sort of talent that CAN NOT be found in the states. While that's pushed a lot, it's still there, and hard to overcome.

Actually this is quite hard to bypass, even legitimately. I have a friend who is an opera singer, he was completely hired by a school in seattle to teach about some small sect of opera, not a high profile job that everyone wants either, a small school for minimal money. The school took an add out in the common newspapers and throughout the universities in Seattle surrounding to look for this position in the US first. They found nobody and started looking in Canada even though they were unable to pay the cost of relocating someone. They found my friend and eventually hired him. My friend went to meet them several times and eventually finally gave up his appartment and incurred cost of storing his stuff ect... The school had told him "your visa will go through, we literally cant find anyone here... The US government was not convinced the school did enough advertising for the position in ALL of the US and eventually denied the visa... stating instead of going immediately up to canada they should have looked in other parts of the US or something.... its really hard.

The school was pissed too cause they had been actively looking to fill the role for months.

even if you marry into citizenship you have to give up the canadian one....

c'mon america we're given you all our oil and water! we demand the benjimans!
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    With the recession that's going on globally right now, it's gonna be tough getting on-site jobs abroad (some regional exceptions of course) without dual citizenship or the required visas.

You can prepare for it though when economies go back to max in 4 yrs (theoretically speaking) by making sure you have a degree, experience, cross border networks (for the recommendation letters), an immigration lawyer with a good track record, and not commit a crime.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    damnit, I knew I should've went after my mom to renew her british passport before HK was handed back to china... I could've easily gotten dual citizenship to work in canada and the UK... opening the door for all of europe :/
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its going to be easier to hit up places and try to line up remote contract work rather then FT on site work. I know our studio won't hire from out of state let alone out of country but we've contracted remotely with places in Canada. Entirely different business working with someone outside of the US vs Hiring them.

Best of luck either way you go, tough times right now for sure!
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    speaking of tough times, the studio I work for just called all the artists in and asked us who wanted to work 4 day weeks.

Wish I could afford to, be an awesome time to put together a 3d portfolio or do side contracts... I just don't have any contracts... nor do I have the banked cash to take 1/5 off my pay check.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its actually very easy to get a 1 year, renewable work visa to come from canada down to work in the US. An h1b visa or something similar i believe? Really all you need is like a signed letter from your employer, a little work from a lawyer and you're set. The only requirement is you have to work in certain fields, so you would claim to be a "Graphics Designer" and you're in.

We've hired employees this way, and i'm pretty sure there are a few canucks on the boards working with h1b's as well here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H1B_visa

Oh yeah, and some form of degree IIRC.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah that's a problem, some of the school programs up here do not offer degrees. My program I graduated from is still only a 3 year diploma/certificate.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for that, EQ! I'll have to look into seeing if the same process could work for an Australian trying to get work in the US. I've been considering moving internationally for some time now and after a bit of research found it was near impossible to get to the US at this stage.

-caseyjones
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realy need to look into this, since i want to move to canada or the us in a year, maybe two.

But the visa things state that you have to have 2 years work exp, 15k in your pocket, and rock the job so hard that they realy need to get you overseas.

if someone made the jump to america/canada, could you tell us something about how that process went?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    caseyjones wrote: »
    Thanks for that, EQ! I'll have to look into seeing if the same process could work for an Australian trying to get work in the US. I've been considering moving internationally for some time now and after a bit of research found it was near impossible to get to the US at this stage.

-caseyjones

If you have a batchelors degree and are australian you qualify for an E3 visa. It's quite easy to get one of these since the quota for it hasn't ever been used up.

of course you could just marry britney spears...
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    The only requirement is you have to work in certain fields, so you would claim to be a "Graphics Designer" and you're in.
    QFT
    I had a good friend who was Canadian and I wrote the letters saying how great of a "graphic designer" she was, even though she was really more of a photographer. Photographer wasn't on that list. Graphic Designer is.

* I forgot an important point: She was only allowed to stay here for 3 or 4 years before they required that she apply for a more perm Visa, which she wouldn't qualify for, or marry an American.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Would it matter if you would get a bachelors degree in the US? I'm currently an international student from Sweden and taking bachelors in game art here in the US. I'm about to graduate in a couple quarters and the biggest reason why I wanted to study here was obviously because of the job opportunities out here (and better weather). But now that I'm reading these posts and hearing how hard it actually is to get a work visa, I'm getting quite nervous.
    Does anyone (foreigner) here have any "good" experience getting a job as a foreigner in the states?

edit: sorry not trying to hijack your thread but just didn't want to start a new one that basically was covering pretty much the same topic.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I'm surprised your eager to leave Vancouver, it easily has the highest concentration of studios in Canada. I know that the industry in the UK isnt doing that great judging by the fact that studios are moving to Canada and at least 1/3 or staff at all our local studios are from the UK. I dont have much experience myself and I have been told that I need to get at least 2-3 years experience under my belt before I can realistically expect to be able to get jobs from abroad, relocatted..etc.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    The fact that there are the most studios in Vancouver is what makes it hard. Because there's also the most talent (just look at how many PC'ers are here), they can fill any spots easily. And after the huge cutbacks there's been a big disparity between the number of positions and the number of people looking for work... Us looking for junior positions and experience just get left behind.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    caseyjones wrote: »

-caseyjones
    Dibs on your job when you go.

So, the bachelor degree thing. How big a deal is that when going for a visa? Would it be worth going back and studying for a while to get one? We all know that a piece of paper doesn't mean jack when it comes to art skills unless you've drawn a picture on it, but it seems like the governments don't.
    I've been out of work for forever now (About 7 months) and it doesn't look like things are suddenly going to improve any time soon. Maybe it'd be worth taking some desperate measures and going back to school. What do you think?
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colemerson polycounter lvl 10

even if you marry into citizenship you have to give up the canadian one....

I'm positive this policy no longer exists although I think at one point something similar did if you originally had American citizenship. Father was originally from the states and has lived Canada for 20+ years and finally got around to getting his Canadian citizenship and becoming a dualie like me and my brother. And if your originally Canadian although I'm not positive I'm pretty sure you can have as many other citizenships as you like.

Also there is apparently a program that allows people to very easily apply for a visa. You have to be under 30 and your only allowed to do it once in your life. No degree required and as long as the country hasn't reached its quota for the year your good to go. Think the countries are Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand and the UK. I don't know if its once per country or not. Brothers friend did it and it might be something to look into if you really wanna see another place.

Now I'm not sure how willing a company would be to hire you knowing that your only there for a year, and I don't know what it would be like applying for a more permanent visa if you did get said job,
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might be the same thing Colemerson just mentioned. Isn't there some sort of system that makes it easier for citizens of one Commonwealth country, (Canada in this case) to secure a visa in another Commonwealth country (Australia, UK, New Zealand, ect)?

I've heard this before, not sure of the details or even if it's true. Could be worth looking in to.

The last company I worked for gradually hired a handful of Canadians, all mid-level to senior positions though...
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'd love to work in the US one day, want to get out of Scotland really and experience America, not to sure how hard this is gonna be in the future. Will hopefully have a 4 year honors degree in Computer Arts next year so maybe this will help.

My girlfriend is very lucky, shes a fashion design student and supposedly the US love hiring British fashion designers.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    WhiteEagle wrote: »
    This might be the same thing Colemerson just mentioned. Isn't there some sort of system that makes it easier for citizens of one Commonwealth country, (Canada in this case) to secure a visa in another Commonwealth country (Australia, UK, New Zealand, ect)?

I've heard this before, not sure of the details or even if it's true. Could be worth looking in to.

The last company I worked for gradually hired a handful of Canadians, all mid-level to senior positions though...

The Uk has a Ancestral Commonwealth Visa, I have one and it wasn't that hard to get. All you need is at least one grandparent born in the UK then you get birth certs to make the connection from them to you and show that you have a little money saved up so you wont go over and go on welfare. It allows you 5 years to work in the UK with no restrictions except you cant go on social assistance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Ancestry_Entry_Clearance
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IEatApples wrote: »
    I think I'd love to work in the US one day, want to get out of Scotland really and experience America, not to sure how hard this is gonna be in the future. Will hopefully have a 4 year honors degree in Computer Arts next year so maybe this will help.

My girlfriend is very lucky, shes a fashion design student and supposedly the US love hiring British fashion designers.
    Ha yea, I was talking with one our interns who is studying fashion and planning to enter the field someday soon. She said the fashion industry over here has a hard-on (my words not hers) for anyone with a "European" accent/influence. Just putting that you bummed around Europe for a year will get you bumped up a peg. Hopefully its not that shallow...
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha. Yea top tip for today if your a polycounter wanting to go to the US, become a 3D fashion designer.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    WhiteEagle wrote: »

I was going to mention that aswell. If I wanted to apply overseas (I've considered it) My best bet would probably be Canada or the UK.

I should get a job locally first, I'm sure that studios overseas wouldn't be keen to hire an international junior.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Vancouver is in a pretty bad place at the moment honestly. Not lots of companies are hiring, and those that are have an entire city of resources and unemployed workers to choose from.. Honestly, I think most of the companies here are hiring mostly on a referral basis..

It's pretty rough to break into the industry here - not sure what it's like in the US at the moment, but I have a feeling there is much less competition for jobs in certain areas.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I dont think location is relevant to the difficulty of getting into the games industry.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Yozora wrote: »
    I dont think location is relevant to the difficulty getting into the games industry.

Location isn't specifically, it's more the saturation of people looking for jobs - I use Vancouver as an example because it has 4-5 pretty high end training schools for CG / Animation - They churn out people, probably 60-70 per month combined.

With the amount of the Vancouver work force laid off in the past 6-8 months there is a huge pool of unemployed, experienced, workers looking to get back in, and I'm pretty sure the local companies would rather fish from that, as opposed to the fresh-out-of-school no experience lake.

I should edit this and say I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to get some perspective from others.