Home General Discussion

Video Games Live

So I just got back from watching the Video Games Live production here in Pittsburgh in Heinz Hall.

I can honestly say it was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had.
I have to admit I even teared up a few times.

The presentation of the music mixed with the feelings of nostalgia and memories of playing all the games they showed was nothing less than epic. The Pittsburgh symphony along with the Pittsburgh choir was the most powerful thing I've ever heard.

I highly recommend going to see this show if you have the chance, whether you are a video game fan or not.

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    which songs made you cry?
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I watched in Brazil, they should use orchestra for the Chrono Cross ones. :(
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe I didn't play the right games back in the day, but when I went to see VGL in London a couple of years ago, I really didn't find it all that great... I mean it was a fairly cool show, but a lot of the music just wasn't actually all that good, I guess it was meant to be more about nostalgia in a lot of cases, but if you didn't know what game the music was from then it was just a decent orchestra performing fairly average tunes :/

Game music has rarely been anywhere near the pinnacle of musical achievement, I think it'd have been much better if they were doing movie scores, which tend to be a little more involved and interesting, IMHO :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    we get play over here in the north, but they've cheapened it down so much these days,

video games live seems so much more amazing, and it seems to have the music I would want to hear.. :/
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople - the metal gear solid and parts of halo got to me, haha. also, they had Martin Leung play some final fantasy songs on piano by himself. i never really played much final fantasy, but it was great.

bugo - they played chrono cross here with the whole symphony and two guys on acoustic guitar, i really liked it

MoP - i think that in your case you may have caught the show when they were still trying to figure things out. it only started a few years ago and then they were playing about six shows a year. this year they are playing sixty. and i wasnt aware until last night that pittsburgh has one of the best symphonies in the world, according to the creator of the show. that might have had something to do with it. i thought that the music was very well done

i forgot to mention, they also showed the first ever video recording of a video game being played, by the creator of video games, Ralph Baer. they then followed that with a live interview via Skype with Baer. It was rather humbling to witness