Home General Discussion

Battlefield 1943

motives
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
motives polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys

Shameless plug i know but bf1943 got released today on xbox live and PSN.
and at 15$ a download it is, ofcourse, a bargain!

I worked as a level artist on this project and im now proud to say that im one of the privileged with a proper wake island remake under his belt ;)

about the game i think its heaps of fun. perfect for some lunch fragfests! check out the website for more info:

www.battlefield1943.com

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I'll snatch that up in a bear trap for $15!
    The tanks feel like they are hauling way too much ass though imo, almost traveling as fast as the planes! Looks like tons'o'fun!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Pshh, forget the game. I'm having to much fun shooting down planes on your web site! XD
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    When is the PC version coming? I probably wait for that as this seems like it will be a lunchtime game for me.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yeah no pc :( yet
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    got it this morning - cool work, dude!
  • PollySong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PollySong polycounter lvl 14
    Looks good. Maybe I'll try it out when the PC version is released, although I'm not sure my computer can handle it, I can play TF2 on low-ish settings but that's about it. :/

I worked on BF:1942 and actually got a little sentimental when I saw the maps. The feeling passed pretty quickly though. :) Anyway, good work, I'm sure it'll be a success!

(Jag skulle kolla p
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Waiting on PC version...
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Yay. Mah E3 code worked. Played through the tutorial. Seems like it'll play nice, looks like the servers are beeing smashed atm. Waaaaaaaake!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PC version or it never happened. Looks fun tho.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    showed up costing 90,000 points to buy the game. I'll upload a pic later
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    environments look great!

cons: weapons need tweaking a little, sniper should kill the person in 1 shot and distance sniping is sketchy, unless the snipers in 1943 were that way. Servers have been full, usually takes at least 10 mins to join a game tonight. Private matches require a minimum of 12 players :(

for $15 its got replay value, and a lot of people will buy it with the BattleField brand name.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i tried it out for a bit today. the controls seemed very weird (on the xbox 360). on vehicles it was left trigger forward and left bumper back...its just a pain to use bumpers. and the plane controls were kinda weird too.

one thing that got really annoying was the transition to the scope view with the sniper rifles. very annoying pop. it doesnt seem like much but when you have a bolt action sniper rifle and you ahve to constantly get out of scope view after every shot and then back in, its very annoying to get that pop. youll know what i mean if you play it.

also, it takes too many shots to kill somebody. there was some weird issues with sniping from long distance, people are floating off the ground etc (by like 10-20 feet). maybe its a LOD issue or something with the terrain.

other than that, it was great. except the fact that the only game i was able to join had 2 people in it. but it was partnernet, and i think they were taking down the servers around the time i was playing so maybe tahts why.

environments looked beautiful though. i imagine its really fun with a lot of people.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    heh Keg, thats our VIP customer offer!

the Pc version is planned for september release. See how it goes. it takes some doing replacing all those "a" button icons :p

About the controls im in agreement on the vehicles. Not that hard to get used to though and i think you can change settings in options? i know you can change the planes to use invert rudder atleast (which is set like it is due to the infinite retardation of microsoft certification...)

00Zero: you know that if you keep the trigger pressed you will stay scoped? Release it and you will go to reload.

Hopefully the servers will stabilize some during the weekend. Had some big problems with servers going up and down last night..
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Vig wrote: »
    PC version or it never happened. Looks fun tho.

QFT
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hehe if this is like battlefield 2 on PC then I might be doing the xbox360 controller for vehicles and then as soon as I jump out the vehicle change to mouse and keyboard - it was the only way I could really enjoy vehicles in battlefield 2 :P sucks when your trying to get used to it tho
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    My complain whit the game is the explosion damage? where is it i cant seem to kill anyone whit tank shell other then tanks and the grenade too way too weak also why cant u kill people whit the jeep i ran over at least 10 enemies and none of them where kill?

BF 1942 is still the king of the bf series...

Like the FX and the environment
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    downarmy, a little punctuation will go a long way.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    after playing it more I agree with some of this stuff.. it definitely seems like damage is very unbalanced. unless you get a headshot with sniper it takes a ridiculously long time to kill people, and it took me 2-3 shots with the tank gun AND tank machine gun to kill someone.. very odd. also, the machine gun of the scout is ridiculously weak too. hum.

I'm fine with the vehicle controls, and they're fun as hell to drive around. I don't see what's so confusing about controlling the planes.. it works fine, but I guess a crimson skies or more arcadey approach would have been nice.

and yeah, it's a confusing ass design decision to make Accelerate/Brake on the LEFT Trigger and Bumper - why is it like this when you can just as easily make RT Accelerate (like every single other fucking racing game), and LT brake/reverse? seeing as RT/RB don't noticeably do anything. and as I continue this train of thought I realize tanks can shoot, but this first crossed my mind when driving vehicles without weapons (anything but a tank). ok. im done.

good job, was fun. could use more than 24 people though, servers feel empty even when they're full.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    this is all beginning to sound like way the Battlefield Heroes plays...which would be unfortunate.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone played Bad Company multiplayer? How does that compare to this version.
  • Emperors Teeth
    Bad Company feels a lot more intense and close up. Barely a moment goes by where someone isn't gunning for you or vice-verca. Also, the vehicles feel generaly more effective in BC.

I've only played a few games on 1943, but it feels a lot more relaxed in nature. The bright colours feel less oppressive than the fog on some maps of BC. In 1943, most of my points in games came from capturing points rather than killing enemy troops. Whilst I could always hear gunfire and usually see someone in the distance, there were many times where I found myself all on my todd.

Very fun though. Planes are cool but you need to be very good to make a difference on the ground war (I killed a dude with my bombs once :D). I love the air-raids, both very destructive, and vulnerable as you get kicked out of the building after a raid. I waited on an enemy guy this way and knifed him lol. Bit underhanded but hey... not like he just spawned ;).
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    played BF1943 for about 4 hours last night with some friends. Working in a squad is a lot of fun, shame random people on xblive don't have this concept where everyone is a 1 man army. Kinda wish they kept the "hold that vehicle" talk so people would wait for ya. lol Still can't fly the plane very well, but shooting down planes with the AA gun doesn't get old :) Unloaded an entire Thompson clip into 1 guy, he shot me once with the garand. Weapons have balancing issues.

I kinda feel like we are the beta testers for DICE, finding all the problems, collision errors, etc so they can fix all the bugs and make it better. I'll get the PC version to play at work, hope it comes with an editor :)
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    played BF1943 for about 4 hours last night with some friends. Working in a squad is a lot of fun, shame random people on xblive don't have this concept where everyone is a 1 man army. Kinda wish they kept the "hold that vehicle" talk so people would wait for ya. lol Still can't fly the plane very well, but shooting down planes with the AA gun doesn't get old :) Unloaded an entire Thompson clip into 1 guy, he shot me once with the garand. Weapons have balancing issues.

I kinda feel like we are the beta testers for DICE, finding all the problems, collision errors, etc so they can fix all the bugs and make it better. I'll get the PC version to play at work, hope it comes with an editor :)

Sounds just like what happened in the original bf1942. no one waiting for teammates to hop in a vehicle with them. no team work, etc. The game is a blast when you can get people working as a team.

The trial is crap without gold, all you can do is play the tutorial. Would have been nice to include a bot mode.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Waiting for PC version as well, but this is defiantly a buy for me once it hits September.

Either way, congrats Motives :)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    picked this up yesterday. feels like a simplified bad company so while its no bf2 its still pretty fun. the audio especially is rockin' when planes zip overhead it sounds amazing. for 15 bucks im sure not complaining.