Home General Discussion

New MechWarrior !

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/18954/mech-warrior-project/videos/mechwarrior_trl_phoenix_70709.html

Apparently its a concept trailer but this could be pretty cool. Hopefully Piranha can pull this off.

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    OMG!

I think I just came... :O

I'm so there, I was there yesterday.

Hopefully this time, when you eject? You don't auto die (which made no sense). No, your parachuted unto the battlefield, and you hope to god you can catch a ride with a passing hover tank or make it to a base before being turned into carbon or a squashed bug from an enemy mech.

Edit Just watched the trailer. Came again...

HE EJECTED! (Though does he land? in game?)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    LOL How the fuck has this not been done in recent years?! How the fuck have I never even THOUGHT of a new mechwarrior game!? It's unfathomable!

Lets hope their game can even come close to that vid.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I hope they stick to the battle tech roots. They better not do to mechwarrior what michael bay did to transformers.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Used to play Mechwarrior a lot, now the graphics have had a revamp I can remember the square blocks that were buildings in the previous versions. Looking forward to this, the graphics look amazing.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/100/1002164p1.html
    Q&A with Jordan Weisman (creator of Battletech/MechWarrior) and the head of Piranha Games. Starting to feel a little hopeful here :)
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    When I saw the teasers pop up yesterday I immediately called my brother about it and we both nerded out for a half hour or so. Really pumped to see this, it came out of nowhere! My bro freaked out when I told him that Jordan Weisman is directly involved, hehe. Graphically it looks good, nice looking environment although the mechs could be better (textures look a bit low res and also bad sense of scale). Man is that some bad voice acting! Still, fingers crossed, prayers uttered, candles on shrine lit. :poly142:
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally just grew a chub.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Woo, Mechwarrior 2 is one of the first games I bought on my first PC, spent so much time playing it, such great atmosphere.
    Looking forward to this. =)
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Something even closer is the Crysis total conversion Mechwarrior : living legends which will suffice for me till this comes out, I just like the fact new game will be a reboot, taking it back to the early core of mechwarrior/battletech.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Pfffttt... Robots suck!

LONG LIVE SOLDIERS WITH OVERSIZED ARMOR!!

But yuh... this looks chub-worthy for sure.
  • MachineMinded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fucking finally! I've been waiting for this for the last 7 years or so.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Looks interesting, but I can't help but be pretty skeptical. Piranha's got one of the worst reputations in town... I'm curious as to how they ended up with the contract.

Although I do know some good people there, so maybe it'll turn out well enough... :)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Tulk, For turnover? Or product?

Anyhow, if this is going back to the original start of the Mechwarrior universe.

What about the things like Marauders and other Mechs that were based off Macross? The ones they later no longer showed after getting sued. I know there is Technical Readout: Project Phoenix that supposedly shows the redesigned versions. I cant find any images online from it though. Will this game use the Project Phoenix designs, or will they leave them out? I do hope they include them! I WANT MY MARAUDER. I got so good at the original game, I could take out Atlas's with mine.

To take us back.. the original Mechwarrior game (and why I never went back to consoles afterwords)
    967646909-00.gif
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Oh, man... it's like they took the intro cinematic for MW3 and made it realtime. Yesyesyes.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm76b8tzzWI&fmt=18[/ame]
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    oXYnary wrote: »
    OMG!

I think I just came... :O

I'm so there, I was there yesterday.

Hopefully this time, when you eject? You don't auto die (which made no sense). No, your parachuted unto the battlefield, and you hope to god you can catch a ride with a passing hover tank or make it to a base before being turned into carbon or a squashed bug from an enemy mech.

Edit Just watched the trailer. Came again...

HE EJECTED! (Though does he land? in game?)

i always thought that it would be great if you could commandeer mechs , say jump off a building on to them or use a grapple, then blow the hatch with an charge. it would make an ace new way of upgrading your mech or stealing technology from the otherside
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    SHEPEIRO: Ever played G-NOME? It had that :)

I loved the original MW, it's still one of my favourite games, and MW2 / Mercs etc were similarly awesome. I loved the RPG and trading elements in the first one, which it seems they've been gradually dumbing down with every new release until the most recent MW game turned into some sort of arcadey shooter, which I hated.

Hopefully this new one will go further from the "quick arcade action!" style of the more recent ones, and take it back to the deeper, darker roots of the first MW PC games.

If they can pull that off, I will love it forever!
    Gilgamesh wrote: »
    Something even closer is the Crysis total conversion Mechwarrior : living legends which will suffice for me till this comes out

Are there any downloads for MWLL? All I can see are a bunch of screenshots, have they released anything playable yet?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    doing some digging around this story lead me to find this

Mechwarrior 4 and expansions to be released for free
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*flails arms aboves his head arnd runs around in his underpants on the street* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Seeing this trailer was a kick from the mule of nostalgia.
    Whilst I'm a little underwhelmed by the visuals, hope will have it that it'll be a damn fun game with 1-4 player co-op and "CoD-style" multiplayer progression... Let's hope they pull that shit off!
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    not sure how your underwhelmed by the visuals! this looked fantastic!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    yes please.

*unpacks steel battalion controller*
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Slum wrote: »
    yes please.

*unpacks steel battalion controller*

man that sounds dodgy
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    Looks interesting, but I can't help but be pretty skeptical. Piranha's got one of the worst reputations in town... I'm curious as to how they ended up with the contract.

Although I do know some good people there, so maybe it'll turn out well enough... :)

This.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    The artwork looked quite good to me - Hopefully the actual gameplay isn't anything like what the pilot in the vid did.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL! bait and switch Jenner -> Atlas!, sucked to be that dude.

I have so many BattleTech and Mechwarrior memories, looking forward to this.
    MoP wrote: »
    Hopefully this new one will go further from the "quick arcade action!" style of the more recent ones, and take it back to the deeper, darker roots of the first MW PC games.

If they can pull that off, I will love it forever!

I agree with MoP on this wholeheartedly, I loved the earlier Mechwarrior PC games as opposed to the newer ones which just were not as fun.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks cool :) Ive never been a big fan of the mechwarrior robot designs I like mechas more like this http://kallamity.com/galleries/view/256 if they put stuff like that into it then Ill be up for some mechwarrior
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I actually wish they'd go for the super old battletech designs. They fly in the face of everything I love as a mecha nut, but they're so downright ugly and poorly designed that it becomes a futuristic design sense all it's own. Bling that out with copious amounts of chrome like all of those old pop-sci imaginings of the future. That would be one crazy world to stomp around in.

1204940572149.gif

Also this trailed made my panties wet. Just hoping real gameplay amounts to a lot more than standing nearly still in a street. :P
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    MoP wrote: »
    SHEPEIRO:

Are there any downloads for MWLL? All I can see are a bunch of screenshots, have they released anything playable yet?

Not yet although allot of videos and a weekly update of how things are going are released and it's said to be close to beta quite soon, so we will end up see'ing MW:LL allot sooner.

Also MW:LL is mixed arms, you can play tanks/battlesuits/aerospace fighters as well as quite a mixed bag of mechs (2-3 from each class from clan and IS mechs).
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    tat atlas kicks ass Ive played everything from the MW franchise and especially enjoyed Mech commander and mercs. cant wait to see what this brings
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive also been a MW whore since the first installment - I really hope that some of Mercs (the best one so far IMO) makes it into this one. Id love to be able to snatch clan tech and load it on stolen IS mechs ;)

I pleasured myself to this video last night

-N!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    DFacto: You likely will see more of that Awesome and its ilk.

The trailer and assorted info says the game is set in 3015 and focuses on house davion at the end of whatever succession war that was.

So no clanners.(they showed up in force in 3050) No omnimechs. Just barely configurable innersphere oldschool tech. :D
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha that atlas appearing out of the smoke.

I loved mechwarrior 3 as well as the mechcommander series, got so many memories of playing those games. I'm really looking forward to seeing more updates.