Home Technical Talk

help on tablet choice

Hi every body ,if someone can suggest me a new tablet to replace the kk graphire a6 i have to be used mainly with zbrush and ps.
my choice fall into those models and respective prices:
Intuos 3 a4 for around 245e
Intuos 3 a5 "" 200€
Intuos 4 M size 340€

(just random order not by preference)

Im more an hobbyst than a professional artist, but that doesnt mean i need to get the cheapest, so any suggestion will be welcome, just dont want to buy another tablet next year because a wrong choice..
thanks to all
ciao

Replies

• vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    I like the surface of the new intuos 4 the most. I say go with the intuos 4, wacom tablets are built to last so whichever you choose you probably won`t upgrade for years afterwards
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i'd go for the intuos3, size depends on personal preference and if it's just for a hobby, can you justify spending another 100 or so for the intuos4?
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    i rocked an intuos 3, 4x6 for a while. if you're a sketcher you'll love it cause its smaller and much lighter than the big wide clunky widescreen (but still is classified as a widescreen tablet).

the model i used only had one bank of buttons like this but it served me well. plus it's cheaper than the monster one.

BUT i've found that more traditional artists love these larger screens on the tablets cause they are used to larger mediums. (thats a 6x11).

ask around if you can borrow one for a test run. oh and take it easy on the drawing surface, i've worn a hole in the topmost layer of mine.

i upgraded to the 12wx cintique but still LOVE tablet drawing cause your hand isn't in the way!

best of luck dude.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    get a wacom

other than that it doesn't matter one bit.
  • jpgourley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have an Intuos 4 at home and like the features for the most part, but I actually prefer the surface of the Intuous 3. It's hard to explain the difference if you haven't worked for any length of time on either, but there is a definite difference in feel between the two. Any of those will be a good upgrade for you, but if you can get some time in messing with both models I would highly recommend it.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I'm using the bamboo at work, has the new surface and all that crap and is the cheapest if you don't care about all those crap buttons on the side that get in the way.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    if you want intuos 4 it's worth trying one if you can
    they are quite a bit different from intuos1-3. I prefer them, as they actually feel like drawing on paper with a pencil, as opposed to the slight glide feel of earlier intuos
    but! it might not even be to your preference so if you can try it before, do so.
    I bought the smallest intuos 4 (and still paid alot!) and don't regret it. I know vik has the med one here and it is BEASTLY. even has some lights and stuff.
  • muppo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the inputs guys, much apprecciated.
    I have no opportunities here in my zone to try them out personally, but i think i got the idea of the surface feeling of the new and the older intuos version, if im right and for what i read the new version got more a paper feeling and the older more a plastic feeling surface.
    Afterall, i had this graphire a6 since 2005 or so, and my concerns were about the no pressure feeling of the pen (this model looks like it have 3 pressure points..) and the "a little too small" size of it.
    I dont know how it feel drawing on those new intuos4, but i know i like more the feeling of the paper rather than the plastic, so ill just go for the new 1, and since its something that will be used for quite a long time, illl chose the M instead the S (in focus to my lcd size as well).
    @ Malcom = thank as well, i considered the Bamboo as well, but, i think side buttons could save me lot of keyb usage especially with configurable keys on the new 4.
    chow
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I'm selling my Intuos3 6x11, no idea how much it'd cost to ship it to Italy from the US but you can email me if you're interested (or anybody else for that matter, goddamn debt collectors)

akaikami[at]gmail.com
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    jpgourley - dont worry, the surface of the intuos4 will wear down and be exactly like the 3 in no time :(
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Just a side note on my own interest if you don't mind, would a wide screen require a wide size Wacom? or it all the same thing? just asking because i'm changing screen soon and I'm worried about my old intuos3...
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    @ Vitor - It does not matter if your monitor/tablet is wide screen or whatsoever. The tablet properties will either scale the drawing area down, making a certain section unusable, or stretch the drawing area. (You can customize to suit your needs)

If it's any help. My ex-supervisor picked up a intuos 4, and then sold her Cintiq 21UX after wards. I guess int 4 maybe just that good?